9 Nines

President Trump is threatening government shut-down

1 hour ago, Pragidealist said:

If he could do it - he’d have done it.  The only reason he doesn’t is because he knows it won’t work 

Maybe. I think he knows it would be the end of his political capital and it wouldn’t be a guarantee. I’m not saying it would definitely get through. I’m saying I’ve read quite a few legitimate sources and scholars who think it would. 

7 hours ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Maybe. I think he knows it would be the end of his political capital and it wouldn’t be a guarantee. I’m not saying it would definitely get through. I’m saying I’ve read quite a few legitimate sources and scholars who think it would. 

What political capital?!?

Btowner   
On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 6:49 PM, IsntLifeFunny said:

They do. As I said the National Security Act has become very expansive. I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see it pass the Supreme Court. Either way they need to get rid of that law. 

Go to court and using his own words. The first question. Was this a campaign promise or national security issue? Based on your own tweet it looks like a campaign promise that does not match the data from your DHS and Border Patrol reports. 

Edited by Btowner

On 1/10/2019 at 7:18 PM, Starkiller said:

It will hurt both sides, but it won’t hurt both sides equally. 

Trump said he would take the blame for the shutdown beforehand. And Trump is unpopular, so it’s that much easier to blame him. That makes it easy for Democrats to spin it that way.

Republicans are always going to blame Dems and Dems are always going to blame Republicans. But the independents seem to be blaming Trump.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/politics/americans-blame-trump-and-gop-much-more-than-democrats-for-shutdown-post-abc-poll-finds/2019/01/12/9c89aff2-16a9-11e9-90a8-136fa44b80ba_story.html

By a wide margin, more Americans blame President Trump and Republicans in Congress than congressional Democrats for the now record-breaking government shutdown, and most reject the president’s assertion that there is an illegal-immigration crisis on the southern border, according to a Washington Post-ABC News poll.

Concerning the allocation of blame, 53 percent say Trump and the Republicans are mainly at fault, and 29 percent blame the Democrats in Congress. Thirteen percent say both sides bear equal responsibility for the shutdown. That is identical to the end of the 16-day shutdown in 2013, when 29 percent blamed then-President Barack Obama and 53 percent put the responsibility on congressional Republicans.

A predictable partisan divide shapes the blame game, with 85 percent of Democrats citing Trump and Republicans as the cause and 68 percent of Republicans pointing the finger at congressional Democrats. Independents fix the blame squarely on the president and his party rather than on the Democrats, by 53 percent to 23 percent. Women blame Trump and Republicans by a margin of 35 points, and men blame the president and the GOP by 13 points.

ctm   

Trump accepts responsibility for nothing and throws everyone around him under the bus when he screws up.

You would think with the threat of impeachment that Trump would try and keep everything running smoothly, not make any waves and keep his popularity as high as possible.  This dumbass does the opposite by shutting down the government and puts tariffs on China rocking the stock market.

ctm   

President Trump chastised his new chief of staff, Mick Mulvaney, over his handling of shutdown talks, creating an awkward scene in front of congressional leaders of both parties, according to two sources who were present.

Mulvaney inserted himself into the conversation and tried to negotiate a compromise sum of money, according to the sources in the room. Mulvaney said "that if Dems weren't OK with $5.7 [billion] and the president wasn't OK with $1.3 [the Democratic offer] ... he was trying to say we should find a middle ground," one of the sources said, paraphrasing Mulvaney's remarks.

"Trump cut him off ... 'You just fucked it all up, Mick,'" the source recalled Trump saying. "It was kind of weird."

A fourth source, who was not in the room but has observed Mulvaney and Trump's interactions during previous congressional talks, told me Trump has long been irritated that Mulvaney's initial 2019 budget only requested $1.6 billion for the wall. Democrats relish pointing this out, asking the White House why they're not happy getting the money they originally asked for.

The answer: Trump signed off on that budget, but as we've previously reported, Trump privately asked, in a 2018 meeting attended by Mulvaney, "Who asked for $1.6 billion?"

https://www.axios.com/donald-trump-mick-mulvaney-government-shutdown-meeting-7d84ea72-5aaf-45e0-a707-5f955836070e.html

LOL....Trump didn't even know how much was in the budget for the wall.

begooode   

The president is a fool at the negotiation table. The televised stunt meeting about immigration when Finestein had Trump agreeing to a clean DACA bill confirmed the obvious for anyone who doubted it. The dude has no clue and doubles down by changing frequently his position. Embarrassing.

OILERMAN   
2 minutes ago, begooode said:

The president is a fool at the negotiation table. The televised stunt meeting about immigration when Finestein had Trump agreeing to a clean DACA bill confirmed the obvious for anyone who doubted it. The dude has no clue and doubles down by changing frequently his position. Embarrassing.

Suckers think he's a great negotiator because he says so and because he was on a reality show 

reo   
49 minutes ago, ctm said:

Trump accepts responsibility for nothing and throws everyone around him under the bus when he screws up.

You would think with the threat of impeachment that Trump would try and keep everything running smoothly, not make any waves and keep his popularity as high as possible.  This dumbass does the opposite by shutting down the government and puts tariffs on China rocking the stock market.

Unless everything he does including tariffs on China and allies and shutting down the gov is about destabilizing the US and not about winning in some negotiation.