9 Nines

President Trump is threatening government shut-down

begooode   

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/10/border-lawmakers-spurn-trump-wall-proposal-1071707

Border lawmakers spurn Trump’s wall proposal

Nearly every lawmaker who represents a district or state along the U.S.-Mexico border — including two Republicans — either opposes outright or more quietly declines to support President Donald Trump’s $5.7 billion request for a border wall, according to a survey conducted by POLITICO.

That poses an awkward reality for the president as he visits McAllen, Texas, Thursday to receive a briefing on border security. The politicians situated in the heart of a purported immigration crisis don’t agree that spending billions on a border wall — or “steel slats,” as Trump now prefers — will benefit their region.

The dissenters include Texas Rep. Will Hurd, the only Republican House member who represents a border district, and Texas Sen. John Cornyn, who will accompany the president on Thursday. Cornyn dodged questions Wednesday about whether he backs Trump’s $5.7 billion demand.

“I support a solution to the problem,” Cornyn told reporters when asked specifically about the sum. “I think it’s going to be negotiated.”

Cornyn was more blunt Monday talking to Fox News. “Coming from Texas with a 1,200-mile common border with Mexico," he said, "the idea of a wall is somewhat off-putting to a lot of people.” In a separate Fox News interview Tuesday, Cornyn said: "There is no one-size-fits-all prescription for the entire border. It's quite a diverse geography.”

1 hour ago, ctm said:

No deals until the government is opened. Period.

You don't negotiate with terrorists who take hostages and that is what government employees and the public are at this point.

Well, this would be different. Because democrats would be getting something they want.

I appreciate your view, and I agree in theory, but if the Democrats reject a DACA for wall deal after just complaining about Trump rejecting one, and prevent the government from opening, the entire narrative on this will change. 

1 hour ago, ctm said:

No deals until the government is opened. Period.

You don't negotiate with terrorists who take hostages and that is what government employees and the public are at this point.

You're a fool.   What do you call the Democrats that filibustered the bills in the Senate?

ctm   
14 minutes ago, Legaltitan said:

Well, this would be different. Because democrats would be getting something they want.

I appreciate your view, and I agree in theory, but if the Democrats reject a DACA for wall deal after just complaining about Trump rejecting one, and prevent the government from opening, the entire narrative on this will change. 

There is a bill on McConnell's desk that republicans approved at the end of December that would open the government.  Do that first.  No negotiations with the hostage takers until the government is open.  None.

ctm   

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell blocked a move by Senate Democrats on Thursday to get the chamber to vote on spending bills to reopen the government on day 20 of the ongoing partial shutdown.

McConnell has made clear that he won't take up any legislation related to the shutdown in the Senate that President Donald Trump won't sign.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/mcconnell-blocks-senate-democrats-move-to-re-open-government/ar-BBS4h5H?ocid=spartandhp

I don't usually peek into these political threads, but I had an idea to solve the wall problem.  How about all the Trumpets that voted him in, just donate about $5k each to build that wall.  Wall problem solved!  Don't have an extra $5k laying around?  Not my problem.  Carry on...

9 Nines   

A week ago, I thought the shutdown would end any day, and definitely end when people start missing paychecks, starting this Friday. 

Now, I think it will last a long time.  The longer it last, the more damage President Trump will take when he does end it.

If he backs off now or over the next few weeks from now: he will look like a wimp, scared of the bad stuff.

If he backs off a month from now: He will look foolish, causing hardships on people for over a month for nothing.

If he backs off......................: the longer the worse it looks. For example, people with no pay for 2 months, for nothing???

This shutdown is going to damage both sides.

I'm with all of you - it is 100% clear and obvious to me who is responsible for this shutdown.

The longer it goes on, the more I predict both sides will be punished close to evenly.

I still think the best way out of this is the Daca for wall deal. Hell this may be able to be done on much better terms than what was offered Trump a year ago. If so, that would be a win win for everyone.

Only other way it ends is Trump does the emergency bullshit thing, and then agrees to sign the spending bill, and then it passes the Senate.

8 minutes ago, Legaltitan said:

This shutdown is going to damage both sides.

I'm with all of you - it is 100% clear and obvious to me who is responsible for this shutdown.

The longer it goes on, the more I predict both sides will be punished close to evenly.

I still think the best way out of this is the Daca for wall deal. Hell this may be able to be done on much better terms than what was offered Trump a year ago. If so, that would be a win win for everyone.

Only other way it ends is Trump does the emergency bullshit thing, and then agrees to sign the spending bill, and then it passes the Senate.

I don't think both sides get punished even close to even. This one is purely on the GOP.   They had a chance to do this right before christmas and the budget before that... 

Add in that most don't want the wall anyway and Trump keeps making a bigger and bigger fool of himself.  Even fox news fact checked him the other day.  I think the GOP starts to crack (already happening).  Trump realizes it and tries to save face with the national emergency line.  That gets bogged down in legal challenges and goes no where.  That is what I think happens. 

Not sure if posted, but a solid article regarding this powers of a National Emergency Declaration, and just why Trump of all presidents should not be allowed to declare one.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/01/presidential-emergency-powers/576418/

For those too busy to read, just think of Palpatine in Revenge of the Sith: UNLIMITED POWER!!!!!!!

Edited by TitansFan777

9 minutes ago, Legaltitan said:

Let the idiot set the precedent. If a border wall is a national emergency then surely gun violence is. Climate change. Healthcare. 

Slow descent into tyranny by executive fiat. The legislature needs to remove the National Emergency Act. It is not serving its purpose after the courts changed its meaning.