President Trump is threatening government shut-down

9 Nines

"I will be making a major announcement concerning the Humanitarian Crisis on our Southern Border, and the Shutdown, tomorrow afternoon at 3 P.M., live from the @WhiteHouse," Trump tweeted Friday evening.

That doesn’t sound to me like he is going to cave. Either he is doubling down or he is going to try to make an offer in public and force Pelosi to make the next move try try and win back some public support.

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A must watch/hear:    

He could convince his 35% that the Redskins are going to win the Stanley Cup.

Posted Images

How can he win back any public support?

1. Dems & Repubs had a bi-partisan agreement in place, he shot it down. 

2. He said he would accept full responsibility for a gov shutdown. 

If I were the dems I would keep hammering those two points. 

Just now, Omar said:

How can he win back any public support?

1. Dems & Repubs had a bi-partisan agreement in place, he shot it down. 

2. He said he would accept full responsibility for a gov shutdown. 

If I were the dems I would keep hammering those two points. 

Yeah, but that was before the polling made it clear that people blame him instead of crediting him. Now he is trying anything he can to wriggle out of it (other than abandon his dumbass wall, obviously).

He threatened a national emergency a week ago.  How do you defer a decision on something that is by definition an emergency?  That doesn't mean he won't do it.  Logic has never been his strong suit.

11 minutes ago, ctm said:

He threatened a national emergency a week ago.  How do you defer a decision on something that is by definition an emergency?  That doesn't mean he won't do it.  Logic has never been his strong suit.

It would have already been documented it was not an emergency before that. He had been talking about it for weeks/months/years. 

5 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Exactly. It’s basically his only play left. 

Pence and Kushner went to visit McConnell yesterday PM.  It's possible that McConnell told them the senate was ready to vote to open the government and Trump needed a cover story....aka cave and claim to be the bigger man.

It's also possible that they went there to brief McConnell on their new plan, national emergeny, whatever.

I think the most likely scenario is that Trump makes an offer to Pelosi that she won't accept and he tries to shift the media narrative to her being obstructionist.

1 minute ago, ctm said:

Pence and Kushner went to visit McConnell yesterday PM.  It's possible that McConnell told them the senate was ready to vote to open the government and Trump needed a cover story....aka cave and claim to be the bigger man.

It's also possible that they went there to brief McConnell on their new plan, national emergeny, whatever.

I think the most likely scenario is that Trump makes an offer to Pelosi that she won't accept and he tries to shift the media narrative to her being obstructionist.

I could see the last part. What a strange place we’ve found ourselves as a nation. 

6 minutes ago, ctm said:

It was reported he was trying to get them to pass a bill giving 5.7 billion but it would need 60 votes. 

Edited by 9 Nines

On 1/10/2019 at 4:24 PM, Legaltitan said:

This shutdown is going to damage both sides.

I'm with all of you - it is 100% clear and obvious to me who is responsible for this shutdown.

The longer it goes on, the more I predict both sides will be punished close to evenly.

I still think the best way out of this is the Daca for wall deal. Hell this may be able to be done on much better terms than what was offered Trump a year ago. If so, that would be a win win for everyone.

Only other way it ends is Trump does the emergency bullshit thing, and then agrees to sign the spending bill, and then it passes the Senate.

A majority of Americans disapprove of the way Trump (61%), Republicans in Congress (60%) and Democrats in Congress (53%) are handling negotiations over the shutdown, according to Pew Research.