President Trump is threatening government shut-down

9 Nines

This shutdown is going to damage both sides.

I'm with all of you - it is 100% clear and obvious to me who is responsible for this shutdown.

The longer it goes on, the more I predict both sides will be punished close to evenly.

I still think the best way out of this is the Daca for wall deal. Hell this may be able to be done on much better terms than what was offered Trump a year ago. If so, that would be a win win for everyone.

Only other way it ends is Trump does the emergency bullshit thing, and then agrees to sign the spending bill, and then it passes the Senate.

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A must watch/hear:    

He could convince his 35% that the Redskins are going to win the Stanley Cup.

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Legaltitan said:

I'm with all of you - it is 100% clear and obvious to me who is responsible for this shutdown.

The longer it goes on, the more I predict both sides will be punished close to evenly.

I still think the best way out of this is the Daca for wall deal. Hell this may be able to be done on much better terms than what was offered Trump a year ago. If so, that would be a win win for everyone.

Only other way it ends is Trump does the emergency bullshit thing, and then agrees to sign the spending bill, and then it passes the Senate.

I don't think both sides get punished even close to even. This one is purely on the GOP.   They had a chance to do this right before christmas and the budget before that... 

Add in that most don't want the wall anyway and Trump keeps making a bigger and bigger fool of himself.  Even fox news fact checked him the other day.  I think the GOP starts to crack (already happening).  Trump realizes it and tries to save face with the national emergency line.  That gets bogged down in legal challenges and goes no where.  That is what I think happens. 

Not sure if posted, but a solid article regarding this powers of a National Emergency Declaration, and just why Trump of all presidents should not be allowed to declare one.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/01/presidential-emergency-powers/576418/

For those too busy to read, just think of Palpatine in Revenge of the Sith: UNLIMITED POWER!!!!!!!

Edited by TitansFan777

9 minutes ago, Legaltitan said:

Let the idiot set the precedent. If a border wall is a national emergency then surely gun violence is. Climate change. Healthcare. 

Slow descent into tyranny by executive fiat. The legislature needs to remove the National Emergency Act. It is not serving its purpose after the courts changed its meaning. 

2 hours ago, Legaltitan said:

Disagree.

Currently, about 1/3 of the public blames democrats.  Slightly over 50% blame Trump and another 7-8% blame republicans.

What going to change this dynamic?  If anything, I would argue that more and more people will pay attention and realize that there is currently a bill on MConnell's desk that would reopen the government and he is refusing to vote on it.

Reality sucks for republicans.  They are refusing to vote.  No amount of spin by them changes that.

Edited by ctm

Senate repub leadership will support tyranny before admitting defeat.  The spending bills they signed in December are now toxic and they are not going to stand up to the echo chamber.

"Speaker (Nancy) Pelosi's refusal to negotiate on funding for a border wall/barrier -- even if the government were to be reopened -- virtually ends the congressional path to funding for a border wall/barrier," Graham said in a statement. "It is time for President Trump to use emergency powers to fund the construction of a border wall/barrier."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/10/politics/lindsey-graham-wall-emergency-powers/index.html

50 minutes ago, ctm said:

Disagree.

Currently, about 1/3 of the public blames democrats.  Slightly over 50% blame Trump and another 7-8% blame republicans.

What going to change this dynamic?  If anything, I would argue that more and more people will pay attention and realize that there is currently a bill on MConnell's desk that would reopen the government and he is refusing to vote on it.

Reality sucks for republicans.  They are refusing to vote.  No amount of spin by them changes that.

There is also a bill that the democrats are filibustering that would open the govt.

4 hours ago, ctm said:

There is a bill on McConnell's desk that republicans approved at the end of December that would open the government.  Do that first.  No negotiations with the hostage takers until the government is open.  None.

The democrats have done nothing on border control for the last 35 years but lie, flip flop, and obstruct.   They totally lied to Reagan, which was his greatest regret to trust their word.  There is no reason to believe their lies about being willing to do anything now.  I am totally on board with Trump on this.  

1 minute ago, Little Earl said:

The democrats have done nothing on border control for the last 35 years but lie, flip flop, and obstruct.   They totally lied to Reagan, which was his greatest regret to trust their word.  There is no reason to believe their lies about being willing to do anything now.  I am totally on board with Trump on this.  

nice rant….now link the bill democrats are filibustering

58 minutes ago, ctm said:

Disagree.

We'll see. Hope you're right.