Tariffs are working

IsntLifeFunny

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 12:17 PM, Legaltitan said:

I'm gonna say that Titanruss with his actual real world experience in China knows more than random internet guy

I was a God damned Broker through Bank of New York Mellon. I managed a quarter  billion dollars of assets every day of my life for more than a decade that oversaw this Chinese expansion. Russ doesn't know shit about finance. He demonstrated it clearly when he said that the United States industrialized China. 

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With some U.S. farm products getting slammed by retaliatory tariffs, the Trump administration is prepared to start its emergency plan for agriculture right after Labor Day in a "three-pronged approach

This was the goal of the TPP, at least in the Pacific, and Trump gutted it. 

This is great    

Posted Images

37 minutes ago, GOAT9 said:

I was a God damned Broker through Bank of New York Mellon. I managed a quarter  billion dollars of assets every day of my life for more than a decade that oversaw this Chinese expansion. Russ doesn't know shit about finance. He demonstrated it clearly when he said that the United States industrialized China. 

Sure you did buddy.

• 1 year later...

https://www.businessinsider.com/all-tariff-costs-fallen-onto-americans-pay-new-research-shows-2020-1

President Donald Trump falsely claims that China and other nations have paid the tariffs he levied on thousands of products over the past two years.

But "approximately 100 percent" of those costs have fallen onto American buyers, according to a new National Bureau of Economic Research paper.

• 6 months later...

Just a little over a month after implementing the new U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement designed to lower trade barriers across North America, the Trump administration has decided to reimpose tariffs on Canadian aluminum.

“Earlier today I signed a proclamation that defends American industry by reimposing aluminum tariffs on Canada,” President Trump said during a speech at a Whirlpool factory in Clyde, Ohio. “Canada was taking advantage of us, as usual,” he said. “The aluminum business was being decimated by Canada, very unfair to our jobs and our great aluminum workers."

Major business groups criticized the president’s decision.

“These tariffs will raise costs for American manufacturers, are opposed by most U.S. aluminum producers, and will draw retaliation against U.S. exports—just as they did before,” said Myron Brilliant, executive vice president and head of international affairs at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. “We urge the administration to reconsider this move.”

1 hour ago, Starkiller said:

Just a little over a month after implementing the new U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement designed to lower trade barriers across North America, the Trump administration has decided to reimpose tariffs on Canadian aluminum.

“Earlier today I signed a proclamation that defends American industry by reimposing aluminum tariffs on Canada,” President Trump said during a speech at a Whirlpool factory in Clyde, Ohio. “Canada was taking advantage of us, as usual,” he said. “The aluminum business was being decimated by Canada, very unfair to our jobs and our great aluminum workers."

Major business groups criticized the president’s decision.

“These tariffs will raise costs for American manufacturers, are opposed by most U.S. aluminum producers, and will draw retaliation against U.S. exports—just as they did before,” said Myron Brilliant, executive vice president and head of international affairs at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. “We urge the administration to reconsider this move.”

He still doesn’t understand how this whole thing works. 

18 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Though maybe the case, it's more about his supporters not understanding how this whole thing works.

It actually goes back to a long held conception about any big businessperson going into politics: they are often used to being surrounded by people forced to accept their will as the way (if that's how they choose to run things anyway), the worst of which actively gathering Yes Men if not down right sycophants to their sides in order to reduce dissonance and bolster ego.  Dealing with Congress much less foreign governments is just not the same deal.

This is not to say a biz exec couldn't transition to politics.  Many have very successfully. Just not with that particular mind set.  And no matter what your opinion of him, Trump really is his own unique flavor. 

37 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Honestly, I suspect it’s less about a practical trade issue and more about Canada having a travel ban on Americans and closing the border.

Edited by Starkiller

5 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

Honestly, I suspect it’s less about a practical trade issue and more about Canada having a travel ban on Americans and closing the border.

Of course, petty and vindictive tit for tat.

That and just revving up the same ol' chants from last time for the same ol' people, hoping to catch a fire again.