heyitsmeallen

Lewan holding out and not attending mini camp.

from a philosophical roster building standpoint, is it wise to spend $16.5-17 million a season on a top 5 LT.

depending on when Donald/Mack do their contracts, Lewan is probably going to be a top 10 paid non QB in the NFL when his deal is done.

at that price you are nearing 10% of the entire salary cap.

It's his option year. Lewan will play this year regardless of what shakes out of the contract negotiations and he'll play at a high level. Playing out your option year as a player, puts you in risk of injuring yourself, which would greatly impact the second contract you get regardless of who it's with. (The second contract for offensive lineman is THE big payout) Lewan is a major piece of the puzzle if we want to make a serious playoff run. Guys like him don't come around every  day. Show him the money.

Martin is represented by the same management group as Lewan, with this deal Martin becomes the 2nd highest paid OL in the NFL, huge money for a G.

Lewan's management are going to want squeeze every last dollar out of the Titans and set a new benchmark for OL contracts.

might take a 6yr $100 million deal with $55 million guaranteed to secure Lewan long term.

Has any NFL player signed a new max contract and then gets injured for the rest of the season on their very first practice before? That would suck so bad for whichever team 

good on Lewan for having some fun regarding his contract situation, I would be pretty excited if I knew that around $50 million guaranteed was coming my way soon.

if he signed a 6yr deal the total value of the contract is going to be right around $100 million

7 hours ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Martin is represented by the same management group as Lewan, with this deal Martin becomes the 2nd highest paid OL in the NFL, huge money for a G.

Lewan's management are going to want squeeze every last dollar out of the Titans and set a new benchmark for OL contracts.

might take a 6yr $100 million deal with $55 million guaranteed to secure Lewan long term.

Solder just set the market this off season for LTs. I can’t imagine Lewan crushing that average of $15.5 mil per year. Solder also only got $35 mil guaranteed. Based on Martins deal my guess is they keep the total amount reasonable and try to squeeze every guaranteed dollar out of the titans. 

3 minutes ago, CaliTitan3518 said:

Solder just set the market this off season for LTs. I can’t imagine Lewan crushing that average of $15.5 mil per year. Solder also only got $35 mil guaranteed. Based on Martins deal my guess is they keep the total amount reasonable and try to squeeze every guaranteed dollar out of the titans. 

important to remember Solder's deal was only for 4yrs, hence the lower guaranteed money.

assuming Lewan's management will be pushing for a 6yr deal for him, like they got for Martin.

he probably ends up somewhere around $16 million a year.

1 minute ago, ChemEngr79 said:

6 yr 100M with 50M guaranteed is my guess of where we end up...

Taylor earned that Brinks truck...

if he signs a 6yr deal that won't be too far away from the final numbers, question is do the Titans have the available cash on hand to put that guaranteed money into escrow as is required by the NFL.

the only certainty is he won't sign any deal that doesn't pay him more per year than what Solder just got.

Tom Condon is going to try and reset that LT market again.

1 minute ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

if he signs a 6yr deal that won't be too far away from the final numbers, question is do the Titans have the available cash on hand to put that guaranteed money into escrow as is required by the NFL.

the only certainty is he won't sign any deal that doesn't pay him more per year than what Solder just got.

Tom Condon is going to try and reset that LT market again.

Correct. The bar is set at 15.5M/yr, but Solder was a FA so that gave him more leverage. However, TL is a much better LT with 1 year left on his contract so I think 16+ is the right ballpark. 

In any case, the deal will get done and TL will be a Titan for many years to come. 

Soxcat   

Unfortunately Solder's deal is lopsided because he isn't half the player Lewan and a few other guys are.  Also, by voiding this year with a new contract should benefit the Titans some since Lewan is only going to make $9 mil this year.  Thus, to be politically correct I'd say Lewan signs for some amount slightly above Solder but not much.  And the $40 mil guarantee will also be beaten slightly as well.