Lewan holding out and not attending mini camp.

heyitsmeallen

3 hours ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

in a radio interview today it felt Jim Wyatt was preparing Titan fans to the reality Lewan/Conklin are unlikely to be on the practice field to start training camp.

certainly a less than ideal scenario, have to think Vrabel would be reluctant to expose Mariota to potential injury, in the first couple of preseason games should Lewan still be holding out.

Lewan has a contract. Holding out is prohibitively expensive nowadays, to the tune of up to $40k per day (assuming it hasn’t gone up since last year). Maybe he would skip a day or 2 to make a point, but he isn’t going to take on millions in fines sitting out.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have no problem with the players using the leverage they have to get the best deal they can.

Are you 12? OF COURSE business > sport. Players make these owners billions. Why should he risk rendering himself unable to get the most lucrative deal he possibly can just for a minicamp? You think

As I've gotten older I've shifted my stance on this sort of thing. The bottom line is NFL contracts aren't guaranteed and teams fuck over players all the time. I'm not going to blame Lewan for wanting

3 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

Lewan has a contract. Holding out is prohibitively expensive nowadays, to the tune of up to $40k per day (assuming it hasn’t gone up since last year). Maybe he would skip a day or 2 to make a point, but he isn’t going to take on millions in fines sitting out.

a lot of times teams waive the fines once a long term deal has been agreed.

the Rams certainly didn't fine Aaron Donald for sitting out the entire preseason last year.

Edited by AussieTitanFan08

I hate this stuff doesnt get figured out in an afternoon. get your agent, go meet Jrob at the Southern, grab a lunch table and stay until dinner if you have to. 

Floyd Reece said basically this stuff could get hammered out in a couple hours if everyone would just meet up and be honest about what they wanted. 

2 hours ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

a lot of times teams waive the fines once a long term deal has been agreed.

the Rams certainly didn't fine Aaron Donald for sitting out the entire preseason last year.

Not a lot of times, every time 

8 hours ago, titanruss said:

I hate this stuff doesnt get figured out in an afternoon. get your agent, go meet Jrob at the Southern, grab a lunch table and stay until dinner if you have to. 

Floyd Reece said basically this stuff could get hammered out in a couple hours if everyone would just meet up and be honest about what they wanted

giphy.gif

11 hours ago, titanruss said:

Floyd Reece said basically this stuff could get hammered out in a couple hours if everyone would just meet up and be honest about what they wanted. 

The fact that it doesn't happen leads me to believe this stuff is more complex than we think. 

3 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

The fact that it doesn't happen leads me to believe this stuff is more complex than we think. 

I think the Titans are in for a rough patch in the next 2-3 years with some fan favorites being released.  All the players JRob has brought in are starters and will hit at the same time.  He's going to have to have real talent at working deals and planning.  He's shown an eye for talent.  I think by next year we'll see some surprise releases.  I don't see him as an all-in for a championship.  I think the plan is to become perennial championship contenders.  

12 hours ago, JakePA_Titan said:

Young guys? He's hurting himself and the entire team, the longer it takes. 

That's the entire point of a hold out.... To show how important and crucial you really are to the team

It's not like there are too many experienced vets on the offense, any sense of continuity would be even more beneficial this off season more than ever

30 minutes ago, JakePA_Titan said:

Hypothetically he pulls a hammy or strains his quad, bicep, whatever, likely due to not being there and woeking out. He misses say 4 games due to that. Then lets say Mariota gets beat the fuck up and endures injury that hampers him throughout the season or maybe causes him to miss a game or two.

You have no issue with it? Especially when the hold out is quite possibly not even necessary?

He's still working out with professionals, get real. 

And no, I would have no problem with him holding out to get his money. This holdout is completely justified, unlike the Seahawks guy who was already paid like a top 5 safety and simply wanted more.

But I highly doubt they are playing hard ball. I think everyone including TL knows he will get paid. 

Honestly, I would have more of an issue if he were to get injured now and not get paid a massive contract than I would be if he were to get injured from missing a few weeks of preseason because he wanted to actually make sure he got his money now instead of just waiting for stuff to happen in good faith.

Of course he will get paid, but you're being ridiculous to think that the front office isn't trying to play hardball. They know how many contracts will need to be paid in the upcoming years, they will try to save every penny they can while still fielding their best roster. I have no problem with Lewan holding out for that difference in millions that the front office will be trying to keep.

Edited by wiscotitansfan

11 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

In fact Lewan is more important than the LT on most teams because our QB tends to get injured.  Thus JRob has no choice but to write a contract that matches or exceeds Solder's and must get this done ASAP.  

Along with the other good guy we have on the line injured too.... and everyone else sucking even more than expected because a new blocking scheme.

There's no way I work in good faith if I am Lewan because a LT has never had more leverage than he does currently. I bust ass even though I am not in the facility and I wouldn't try to bend the franchise over and overpay with ridiculous contract stipulations but I make sure I get paid what I should and both sides already know where the bar has been set.

15 minutes ago, JakePA_Titan said:

Ok. We'll see how it plays out.

Even though @japan wanted to disagree, this is a test for JR. And its becoming more difficult day by day.

Hope he doesn't pull a Bell in 3 weeks.....

I think it will be easily resolved and done so in a timely manner where he won't miss games but of course it's a test dealing with any elite contract.

That being said, there is absolutely no way Lewan should be working physically for the team until his signature is on a dotted line besides just trying to stay in shape

39 minutes ago, JakePA_Titan said:

Ok. We'll see how it plays out.

Even though @japan wanted to disagree, this is a test for JR. And its becoming more difficult day by day.

Hope he doesn't pull a Bell in 3 weeks.....

Maybe it will turn out to be a test.  But I don't believe so.  The guy deserves to be one of the highest paid LT in the league.  Period.  I don't think JRob thinks otherwise.

The problem with being paid the highest contract in the league is some jackass pays Jimmy G a bazillion, then everybody else wants a bazillion and one dollar, plus a better parking spot.  Never ends.

22 minutes ago, JakePA_Titan said:

If that's the case, why has it taken as long as it has. I understand he hasn't missed any serious. But are they really fighting over 500k-1mil per year difference?

Wouldn't you want it done sooner than later? Why even risk the possibility of a star player growing frustrated with you?

I'll start worrying when Lewan is not in training camp.