Lewan holding out and not attending mini camp.

heyitsmeallen

7 hours ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Martin is represented by the same management group as Lewan, with this deal Martin becomes the 2nd highest paid OL in the NFL, huge money for a G.

Lewan's management are going to want squeeze every last dollar out of the Titans and set a new benchmark for OL contracts.

might take a 6yr $100 million deal with $55 million guaranteed to secure Lewan long term.

Solder just set the market this off season for LTs. I can’t imagine Lewan crushing that average of $15.5 mil per year. Solder also only got $35 mil guaranteed. Based on Martins deal my guess is they keep the total amount reasonable and try to squeeze every guaranteed dollar out of the titans. 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have no problem with the players using the leverage they have to get the best deal they can.

Are you 12? OF COURSE business > sport. Players make these owners billions. Why should he risk rendering himself unable to get the most lucrative deal he possibly can just for a minicamp? You think

As I've gotten older I've shifted my stance on this sort of thing. The bottom line is NFL contracts aren't guaranteed and teams fuck over players all the time. I'm not going to blame Lewan for wanting

3 minutes ago, CaliTitan3518 said:

Solder just set the market this off season for LTs. I can’t imagine Lewan crushing that average of $15.5 mil per year. Solder also only got $35 mil guaranteed. Based on Martins deal my guess is they keep the total amount reasonable and try to squeeze every guaranteed dollar out of the titans. 

important to remember Solder's deal was only for 4yrs, hence the lower guaranteed money.

assuming Lewan's management will be pushing for a 6yr deal for him, like they got for Martin.

he probably ends up somewhere around $16 million a year.

1 minute ago, ChemEngr79 said:

6 yr 100M with 50M guaranteed is my guess of where we end up...

Taylor earned that Brinks truck...

if he signs a 6yr deal that won't be too far away from the final numbers, question is do the Titans have the available cash on hand to put that guaranteed money into escrow as is required by the NFL.

the only certainty is he won't sign any deal that doesn't pay him more per year than what Solder just got.

Tom Condon is going to try and reset that LT market again.

1 minute ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

if he signs a 6yr deal that won't be too far away from the final numbers, question is do the Titans have the available cash on hand to put that guaranteed money into escrow as is required by the NFL.

the only certainty is he won't sign any deal that doesn't pay him more per year than what Solder just got.

Tom Condon is going to try and reset that LT market again.

Correct. The bar is set at 15.5M/yr, but Solder was a FA so that gave him more leverage. However, TL is a much better LT with 1 year left on his contract so I think 16+ is the right ballpark. 

In any case, the deal will get done and TL will be a Titan for many years to come. 

Wolfe said in his video that Lewan would be the highest paid LT in the league. I said this on the lost Podcast and @NewsToTom said no way because of the crazy Solder deal, which is reasonable. I'd say it will come down to structure. 

Wolfe said Lewan follows the contracts and is very aware of those deals.

2 hours ago, Titansgoodluckcharm said:

He shouldn't even be going for highest paid. Just make more money afterwards in broadcasting. Help the team out. 

I'm not saying he's not a great tackle, just that I hope our team puts the team 1st when they're up for starter money.

Delusional thinking for a second contract lineman on a team that has yet to prove it's a contender.  This will be the contract TL looks out for his and his family.  He's a silly, cut-up dude but not an idiot.  No guarantees in live especially in a billion dollar industry when your considered an expendable piece of the product by the owners.

35 minutes ago, Titan8425 said:

Delusional thinking for a second contract lineman on a team that has yet to prove it's a contender.  This will be the contract TL looks out for his and his family.  He's a silly, cut-up dude but not an idiot.  No guarantees in live especially in a billion dollar industry when your considered an expendable piece of the product by the owners.

I was half joking in that he's gonna get paid either way. 

9 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Wolfe said in his video that Lewan would be the highest paid LT in the league. I said this on the lost Podcast and @NewsToTom said no way because of the crazy Solder deal, which is reasonable. I'd say it will come down to structure. 

Wolfe said Lewan follows the contracts and is very aware of those deals.

The complicating factor is Lewan's under contract for 9.34 million this year, and the Titans can franchise tag him for probably around 14.7 million next year. Those help set the baseline for any extension. Deals are normally negotiated off what happens with no new contract, so in a vacuum a Lewan deal would likely run about 6 years, 83 million. Realistically, you'd slightly exceed the Martin deal (6/84, 40 gtd), so maybe 6/85 with 41 guaranteed. That doesn't get you to Solder's 15.5M Average Per Year, even taking this year as a baseline (1/9.34 + 5/76 [15.2] extension), so you have to pay him more or get creative.

Joel Corry*, a cap guy who knows his stuff, was on 102.5 The Game this week and suggested a deal like the one Solder got that made him a free agent this year. Lewan would get something like 42M over the next three years (option + tag*2), plus the Titans would not be allowed to use the franchise tag on him again. That's how Solder made it to free agency, and (several GMs ago) the Titans gave Haynesworth a conditional no-tag deal. I hadn't thought about this until Corry suggested it, but it's an option if they can't reach a long-term deal.

*-Corry in his hit also suggested J-Rob made a mistake paying Casey last offseason and waiting on Lewan. I think I have an idea where he's coming from, and would agree that J-Rob likely took a calculated risk that has not paid off with the Solder deal resetting the LT market and (as yet) no Donald mega-deal resetting the DT market.

2 hours ago, NewsToTom said:

*-Corry in his hit also suggested J-Rob made a mistake paying Casey last offseason and waiting on Lewan. I think I have an idea where he's coming from, and would agree that J-Rob likely took a calculated risk that has not paid off with the Solder deal resetting the LT market and (as yet) no Donald mega-deal resetting the DT market.

He had to tink Donald would be done now. Also like we discussed I think he wanted the 3 big players all spread out over 3 years to cash flow reasons and Casey was the one to sign