Mariota vs. Winston 2015 - 2017

Jamestown84

2 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Winston is a low bar imo 

I always see this the same way.  The comparison should be draft era QBs.  Ben is leaving soon.  Tom Brady.  Brees.  Rivers.  Manning.  Nobody ever tries to just compare Rivers and Manning.  

Someone needs to compile a list of starters drafted from 2015-2017, then examine the main QB stats.  Not who ran a 79 yard TD because our boy did it, or look down the record book and cherry pick it.

3 hours ago, wiscotitansfan said:

But he hasn't distanced himself that's why its still too early too say that either team has made the right/wrong choice

Not for me it's not. If I'm wrong I'll just have to be wrong. Idgaf. Mariota is superior to Winston. I've got no reservations with that opinion.

The football world sees them as about the same right now.  They both went to bad teams.  JRob has worked wonders with our roster.  I continue to see comparing Mariota to Winston as chasing the wrong rabbit.  There are a lot of other young QBs out there.  If Winston was a bust, it still wouldn't do the Titans any good.  It's like when the bar for Jake Locker's success was VY.  Many people overlooked all his faults, just because they didn't like Vince.

Marcus Mariota

Sam Darnold

Carson Wentz  

Blake Bortles  

Jameis Winston  

Derek Carr  

Josh Rosen  

Jared Goff  

Desaun Watson  

Baker Mayfield  

Mitchell Trubisky

Jimmy Garapolo

Dak Prescott

I probably missed some.  The Tampa Bay Bucs only won five games last year. We need to quit trying to cherry pick the competition.

Edited by Number9

3 hours ago, Number9 said:

The football world sees them as about the same right now.  They both went to bad teams.  JRob has worked wonders with our roster.  I continue to see comparing Mariota to Winston as chasing the wrong rabbit.  There are a lot of other young QBs out there.  If Winston was a bust, it still wouldn't do the Titans any good.  It's like when the bar for Jake Locker's success was VY.  Many people overlooked all his faults, just because they didn't like Vince.

Marcus Mariota

Sam Darnold

Carson Wentz  

Blake Bortles  

Jameis Winston  

Derek Carr  

Josh Rosen  

Jared Goff  

Desaun Watson  

Baker Mayfield  

Mitchell Trubisky

Jimmy Garapolo

Dak Prescott

I probably missed some.  The Tampa Bay Bucs only won five games last year. We need to quit trying to cherry pick the competition.

Only QB I take over MM out of them is Wentz. 

Garropolo needs to show more before I make that argument. 

I see the top QBs in 5 years as 

Wentz

Mariota

Goff

Trubisky

Garropolo

Carr

Rosen

Darnold

Winston

Wilson

Newton

Cousins

with the top 3 as 

Wentz

Wilson

Mariota

Rosgers, Brees, Brady, Rothelisberger, etc will be retired. 

13 hours ago, Kyle021 said:

Only QB I take over MM out of them is Wentz. 

Garropolo needs to show more before I make that argument. 

I see the top QBs in 5 years as 

Wentz

Mariota

Goff

Trubisky

Garropolo

Carr

Rosen

Darnold

Winston

Wilson

Newton

Cousins

with the top 3 as 

Wentz

Wilson

Mariota

Rosgers, Brees, Brady, Rothelisberger, etc will be retired. 

Before last year you would’ve laughed at the idea of Wente first... then nick files goes out and looks better than Wentz. 

Too many people can’t separate system from player. 

20 minutes ago, titanruss said:

Before last year you would’ve laughed at the idea of Wente first... then nick files goes out and looks better than Wentz. 

Too many people can’t separate system from player. 

People and 90% of the media and supposed NFL experts.

Any of both must have a breakout season soon. Both are talented and both need to leave the "somophore" bubble in 2018.

I am leaning to think, that Mariota is closer to that breakout year and establish himself closer to the new elite group of QB's. That, if he can ban injuries from himself.

On 6/12/2018 at 11:48 PM, Soxcat said:

Ok but how does that make Wentz a worse QB?  Sure the system is QB friendly but the guy had 33 TDs to only 7 ints and was spectacular his 2nd season before getting hurt.  Maybe it is pre-mature to call any QB going into only his 3rd season "great".  But don't take away what he has done so far either.  Wentz might be that good.

Also give Foles a little credit.  Foles has shown in the right system he can be pretty good.  Foles played over his head in the playoffs for sure.  Give him credit for stepping up. 

it doesnt make him what his numbers are.