• Silverback Gorilla
    • Grizzly Bear

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bears have knife-like claws. Gorillas have arms like bats. Discuss...

I was out shopping with the family and I just so happened to stumble upon this very scenario.    I think you guys might be surprised at the answer.       That s

Posted Images

2 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

I saw recently a grizzly bear is the most dominant land mammal on the planet

A Kodiak Bear would kick the shit out of a Grizzly, and a Polar Bear would kick the shit out of both of them.

5 hours ago, Starkiller said:

Bears have knife-like claws. Gorillas have arms like bats. Discuss...

bears have knife-like claws on the ends of bats... and stronger bite strength. 

5 hours ago, reo said:

Not a grizzly though I don't think but didn't rewatch it. Saw this a while back.

the video preview image is shopped. in the vid, thats a smaller asiatic  bear. they are even smaller than the Appalachian black bears.  

Reddit had a thread on this.....

First of all as to the OP, a Grizzly would plow right through a silverback, no contest. 

After looking more into it it comes down to basically a polar bear, Grizzly and maybe a Rhino or Hippo. Hippos are pretty bad ass and a Rhino would be a contender as well. 

Grizzly, easily has 200lbs if not 250 on a gorilla. 

Claws, teeth and in general is more of a predator (given a gorilla is a herbivore) so will likely be better mentally suited to trying to kill other big animals.

while gorillas fight the tend not to kill each other. 

The gorillas only real advantages are its intelligence and pound for pound its stronger in its upper body and while it average about 350lbs that's all muscle, while a grizzle would have a large % of its weight being fat. 

I think a grizzle wins, but i dont think its one sided. 

That fight is a lot more even then you guys let on. Grizzlies are not Kodiak bears. They are smaller. A silverback gorilla is much stronger than a grizzly. Grizzlies dont have opposable thumbs and do not use their claws nearly like described here. A silverback gorilla can kill grizzlies just as easily as a grizzly doing the reverse.

9 hours ago, titanruss said:

bears have knife-like claws on the ends of bats... and stronger bite strength. 

No. Gorillas have stronger bite strength, 975ish  psi for a grizzly vs 1300ish for a gorilla. For comparison a tiger has about 1000 psi. In addition a gorilla is much stronger and due to its wingspan a longer reach.

Edited by WG53

6 minutes ago, WG53 said:

No. Gorillas have stronger bite strength and longer reach.

longer reach for their size... put a large 12 foot grizzly on a large 6 foot silverback and i seriously doubt the reach is in the gorillas favor. 

i made up the bite-strength bit. 

2 hours ago, Rolltide said:

Yes but that smaller Asiatic bear held it's own until the tiger quit. That basically proves a much larger Grizzly would have owned the tiger or anything else on land.  

That little bear had incredible stamina and a will to live. 

no i agree with ya... looked like he got his ass kicked but the tiger wanted no more in the end. hard to tell what was going on with the bear all curled up around the tigers head. 

2 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Reddit had a thread on this.....

First of all as to the OP, a Grizzly would plow right through a silverback, no contest. 

After looking more into it it comes down to basically a polar bear, Grizzly and maybe a Rhino or Hippo. Hippos are pretty bad ass and a Rhino would be a contender as well. 

if you're going that direction.. its rhino and its not even close. 8000 lb average for a rhino vs 3300 for hippos. and rhinos are just as ornery but with an actual horn. 

gorillas, bears,  lions, tigers, oh my.. they dont fuck with a rhino. their skin is too think for the cats to get through and too big for a gorilla / bear to do any damage.

... but then an elephant will fuck a rhino up and toss it like a wad of paper. 

32 minutes ago, titanruss said:

longer reach for their size... put a large 12 foot grizzly on a large 6 foot silverback and i seriously doubt the reach is in the gorillas favor. 

i made up the bite-strength bit. 

Grizzlies arent 12 foot. A tall grizzly is almost 10 ft tall. Once again, grizzlies are not kodiaks. 

1 to 1 1/2 foot height difference on average while a gorilla has an 8 ft wingspan.

Edited by WG53