Website Software Upgrade Thread (Jun 1st)

TitansGuru

The website software will be updated shortly. During the deployment, you may experience errors while accessing the site. This is a major version upgrade and is incompatible with some parts of the previous versions of the site. This means that there might be some unexpected behavior that has to be worked through. I'll work on it throughout this weekend to fix anything major and will work on any other issues after that. While I will try to make it as fast as possible, I appreciate your patience.

Here is the high-level plan:

1. Convert database to utf8mb4
    While the typical benefit of this is for additional characters that require this type of encoding with MySQL, the obvious application here would the enabling of using emoji from your phone's keyboard instead of having to click into the smiley box.
  2. Upgrade the core system software
    This will upgrade the main platform. I will add a changelog to this thread that shows the updates and new features.
  3. Upgrade the forum and other applications
    This will take place immediately following the core upgrade.
  4. Initial QA
    I will begin to QA the site immediately afterward and will add a post for bugs to this topic. Any that I find will be added to that post. Also, I will be relying on you all to report any bugs to me that you encounter. I will try to confirm them and add them to the post.
  5. Bug fixes
    This will be happening concurrently with the QA step for the most part. I will strike out the bugs from the post containing them as I get them fixed.

Changelog (updates and new features):

Improved Search

We now support Elasticsearch which is a search utility that allows for much faster and more reliable searching. There are also enhancements to the overall search interfaces based on your feedback. When entering a search term, members now see a more clear interface so they know what areas they are searching in and the method of search.

Emoji

Express yourself with native emoji support in all editors. You can also keep your custom emoticons as you have now.

Automatic Community Moderation

If a post gets enough reports, it's automatically hidden from view and moderators are notified.

New Gallery Interface

We have reworked our Gallery system with a simplified upload process and more streamlined image viewing.

• Blogs app (coming soon) has new view modes to offer options for a traditional site blog or a community multi-member blog platform.

• Forums app has a new widget where you can filter by tags.
  • If tags are not required, the tag input box now indicates this so the member knows they do not have to put in tags.
  • Member cover photos can now be clicked to see the full image.
  • Any item with a poll now has a symbol on the list view.
  • Twitch.tv embed support.
  • Mapbox as an additional map provider to Google Maps.
  • New features for GDPR compliance:
    New setting to automatically prune IP address records.
    New option when deleting a member to anonymize content submitted by them.
    New setting to automatically add links to privacy policies of integrated third party services such as Google Analytics or Facebook Pixel to your privacy policy if they are enabled.
  • Fixes an issue where Calendar events submitted in different timezones to the user may show at the wrong time.
  • Other minor bug fixes and improvements.
  • Promotes non-functional when "Our Picks" disabled.
  • Various emoji fixes, including skin tones and mobile issues. 
  • Online stats. 
  • Numerous IE11 fixes. 
  • Lots of security updates.

Hey Guru - nice job, possibly the smoothest upgrade to date?

The only issue I've spotted so far is the "Forums" top drop down is bunching the menu items - like they went from block CSS to inline CSS.

Kind of a weird glitch for me. Having a TR tab open in Safari will make the Music App appear on my lock screen, but only if the tab has been scrolled through. Nothing major. Just thought id bring it up. 

21 hours ago, OzTitan said:

Hey Guru - nice job, possibly the smoothest upgrade to date?

The only issue I've spotted so far is the "Forums" top drop down is bunching the menu items - like they went from block CSS to inline CSS.

I noticed that and it seems to be because of nested forums and features. I'll work to get it back how it was before because I liked it better. 

2 hours ago, Dinx81 said:

Kind of a weird glitch for me. Having a TR tab open in Safari will make the Music App appear on my lock screen, but only if the tab has been scrolled through. Nothing major. Just thought id bring it up. 

True, and I think it might be related to the notification sound. I am going to look into it and will just disable it if I can. 

I've encountered a major bug in the new software. It's actually a rollover from past software that never seems to get patched. Everytime that I log on, I seem to encounter a virus/spambot that presents itself under the filename: JakePA_Titan. Other members also seem to have encountered this anomaly as we regularly lament it and refer to it as SimpleJake. Please fix this bug quickly, because every time that I try to read it's code my eyes start bleeding and an overwhelming depression sets in that something so moronic could be created. Thanks in advance!

Archived