4k tv worth it?

Jamalisms

2 hours ago, Starkiller said:

Honestly, 4K isn’t particularly necessary. The jump from HD to 4K is way smaller than the jump from SD to HD. The human eye can only see so much detail. Not that it isn’t a better picture, but the bandwidth trade offs aren’t necessarily worth it.

I don’t disagree but if you are buying a new TV right now it makes sense to go 4K because the vast majority of content will be 4K during the usefull life of the TV. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hahaha. I'm doing ok but no. And I'm doing ok because I don't but shit like a $4,000 tv.   Went to Best Buy to get the TV 9's recommended and they didn't have it in stock or on display despi

I guess my question would be how much can you really save by going with a 1080 as opposed to 4k and if that amount is worth the savings for you. A quick scan of Best Buy looks you might be able to sav

I don’t disagree but if you are buying a new TV right now it makes sense to go 4K because the vast majority of content will be 4K during the usefull life of the TV. 

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, abenjami said:

I’m not sure how long it will actually take for 4K content to actually become the norm. Probably a lot longer than you think. But I do agree that any new big screen TV should generally be 4K regardless.

20 hours ago, Jamalisms said:

My current TV (not being replaced but it's a standard for comparison) is a 55" Panasonic plasma. It may very well be the exact model that Currage mentioned. I'll have to check later.

Your current TV has a better picture and better black levels than ANY current LCD/LED and is only (finally) exceeded in picture quality by a new OLED set. 

20 minutes ago, 'Nator said:

Your current TV has a better picture and better black levels than ANY current LCD/LED and is only (finally) exceeded in picture quality by a new OLED set. 

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of.

Fwiw, I recently got a $400 55" Element Fire TV.  The picture quality isn't great but I got it for the Alexa integration.  I'm happy to be on the bleeding edge of voice, and I love my new TV.

There's plenty of 4k streaming content.  I am rarely watching disks.

Tangent time: my son wanted a $400 Transformer.  Told him it was pretty expensive for a present, $400.  He retorted "your TV was $400" lol.

Am looking forward to Sunday Ticket and a winning Titans season, though it doesn't seem to be in 4k yet.

7 hours ago, Starkiller said:

I’m not sure how long it will actually take for 4K content to actually become the norm. Probably a lot longer than you think. But I do agree that any new big screen TV should generally be 4K regardless.

Even if it’s 5 years @Jamalisms will still have this TV...

11 minutes ago, abenjami said:

Just saw this in Vegas...

WHICH DOES JAMAL GET REPLACE FIRST?

+130 New 4K Television

-140 Minivan

If it's replacing the TV I'll eventually buy here in a bit ... the van for sure.

Also, Dell will have great deals on 4K TVs. Many times, with a gift card. The last TV, I bought, the gift card was enough to buy an Xbox One S.

Right now, they have the following deals:

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/tv-deals/ar/8224?~ck=mn

1.  VIZIO D50-E1 4K Ultra HD 50" Full-Array LED Smart HDTV (2017 model) for $450, free shipping and a $250 Dell gift card
  2. Sharp AQUOS P8000-Series LC-55P8000U 55" 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart LED HDTV for $499, free shipping and a $200 Dell gift card
  3. LG 55 Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart TV with HDR - 55UJ6300 UHD TV  for $599, free shipping and a $200 Dell gift card

14 minutes ago, Btowner said:

Also, Dell will have great deals on 4K TVs. Many times, with a gift card. The last TV, I bought, the gift card was enough to buy an Xbox One S.

Right now, they have the following deals:

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/tv-deals/ar/8224?~ck=mn

1.  VIZIO D50-E1 4K Ultra HD 50" Full-Array LED Smart HDTV (2017 model) for $450, free shipping and a $250 Dell gift card
  2. Sharp AQUOS P8000-Series LC-55P8000U 55" 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart LED HDTV for $499, free shipping and a $200 Dell gift card
  3. LG 55 Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart TV with HDR - 55UJ6300 UHD TV  for $599, free shipping and a $200 Dell gift card

@Jamalisms you could buy the Vizio and then use the $250 gift card to buy a second TV for your bedroom!

• 3 weeks later...

If you have amazon prime right now you can buy TCL 55S405 55-Inch 4K Ultra HD Roku Smart LED TV (2017 Model) for $380.  

Link

https://www.amazon.com/TCL-55S405-55-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B01MTGM5I9?tag=digitren08-20&psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAJMXJ2YFJTEDLQMUQ&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01MTGM5I9

For what it’s worth mid July is Amazon Prime day and they usually have deals then too.

• 6 months later...