4k tv worth it?

Jamalisms

4 hours ago, currage said:

I just went from a 55” Panasonic plasma (55VT50), that I loved, to a 65” LG OLED. My warranty was set to expire in August and I had some clouding on the plasma screen. BestBuy came out and gave me a credit for my old plasma and I used it to purchase the OLED. I bought last year’s OLED65C7P on clearance. I’m pretty happy so far. The picture is definitely different than the plasma, but I’m getting used to it. 4K content looks incredible! It’ll be interesting to see what DirecTV offers, as far as 4K sports content, this fall. 

I was always a big fan of plasma as well. It's a shame it didn't hold on a little longer considering it was superior to LCD in many ways. I'm still holding on to a 50in Panasonic plasma myself. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hahaha. I'm doing ok but no. And I'm doing ok because I don't but shit like a $4,000 tv.   Went to Best Buy to get the TV 9's recommended and they didn't have it in stock or on display despi

I guess my question would be how much can you really save by going with a 1080 as opposed to 4k and if that amount is worth the savings for you. A quick scan of Best Buy looks you might be able to sav

I don’t disagree but if you are buying a new TV right now it makes sense to go 4K because the vast majority of content will be 4K during the usefull life of the TV. 

Posted Images

On 5/26/2018 at 8:28 PM, Jamalisms said:

Will only be used in a rec room, streaming and with current DVD / Blueray players. We don't do cable. Tempted to just buy a 1080 but how quick is the trend towards 4k and how quickly will I regret not having it for basic functions like streaming?

I guess my question would be how much can you really save by going with a 1080 as opposed to 4k and if that amount is worth the savings for you. A quick scan of Best Buy looks you might be able to save around $80, max. If that's the most then you can save, then I'd definitely go with 4k.

13 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

I guess my question would be how much can you really save by going with a 1080 as opposed to 4k and if that amount is worth the savings for you. A quick scan of Best Buy looks you might be able to save around $80, max. If that's the most then you can save, then I'd definitely go with 4k.

That depends. How high quality a 4K do I need in order to get equivalent performance out of it?

1080p TVs don't have upscaling issues. The cheapest 4K TV's are comparable in price but I suspect they're not comparable in image quality for normal (non-4K) programming.

... but I don't know that.

I suspect I'm not the video equivalent of an audiophile and I'd never notice. But I have no idea. And if I wouldn't notice, why even spend the extra $80 unless 4k will be a new standard / almost required in the next year or two?

8 minutes ago, Jamalisms said:

That depends. How high quality a 4K do I need in order to get equivalent performance out of it?

1080p TVs don't have upscaling issues. The cheapest 4K TV's are comparable in price but I suspect they're not comparable in image quality for normal (non-4K) programming.

... but I don't know that.

2 minutes ago, Jamalisms said:

I suspect I'm not the video equivalent of an audiophile and I'd never notice. But I have no idea. And if I wouldn't notice, why even spend the extra $80 unless 4k will be a new standard / almost required in the next year or two?

Those 1080 TVs that are $80 cheaper though are pretty bottom of the barrel though in terms of brand/quality. The LG & Samsung 1080 TVs at the 55in size are more expensive than some of the cheapest 4K TVs. But then you run into the same issue of overall quality vs a TV capable of displaying at 4k. If someone hasn't mentioned it yet, I would definitely recommend checking out rtings (https://www.rtings.com/tv). Their reviews go pretty in-depth. They'll even show you how well a 4k TV displays 1080 content. Here are their top recommended 55in TVs, including budget options: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/55-inch

I don't see 4k being a new standard in the next year or two though. The impact isn't nearly as drastic as going from SD to HD for the first time. For me personally, I'd spend the extra $80 just for my PS4 Pro and 4k digital movies I own. But for you, $80 for 4k may not be worth it.

I own zero 4k content and don't anticipate paying extra for it. If it's included in streaming for free at some point, that's where I'll care... but then probably not much.

Did you tell us what your old TV was? 

Generally when things get more advanced, the TV gets better, especially all other things being equal. 

For videophiles all LCDs are supbar. OLED is better and 10 year old Plasma is better.

Any of the decently rated (TCL, Vizio M series) LCD are likely better than what you got if your older TV is an LCD. 

I don't even think 4K TVs are any more expensive than the non 4k TVs of a few years ago. That's just the standard now. 

My blu ray player went dead so I am buying a 4K player despite not having a 4K TV. It upconverts other disks, has a more powerful laser, and I'll be ready when I do get one. It's just a better player overall

If you are going to buy a new TV it is a mistake to not buy a 4K regardless of the content you currently run. 

Edited by 'Nator

3 hours ago, Jonboy said:

I was always a big fan of plasma as well. It's a shame it didn't hold on a little longer considering it was superior to LCD in many ways. I'm still holding on to a 50in Panasonic plasma myself. 

Plasma was better in many ways but the technology had no real use outside the realm of TV screens. LCD or OLED is used in everything else so it just became the standard because it wasn’t cost effective to do develop plasma anymore. 

Guys, I'm so triggered right now. I have a 55" tv. I will bet you a million dollars on that.

But I just looked up my model number and I have a 50" tv. Somebody is fucking with me. I can't handle this.

Here's my tv, this will be my final post. Good bye.

http://shop.panasonic.com/support-only/TC-P50UT50.html

4 hours ago, Jamalisms said:

I own zero 4k content and don't anticipate paying extra for it. If it's included in streaming for free at some point, that's where I'll care... but then probably not much.

Netflix and Prime have lots of 4k content

14 hours ago, Jamalisms said:

Guys, I'm so triggered right now. I have a 55" tv. I will bet you a million dollars on that.

But I just looked up my model number and I have a 50" tv. Somebody is fucking with me. I can't handle this.

Here's my tv, this will be my final post. Good bye.

http://shop.panasonic.com/support-only/TC-P50UT50.html

Are you using diagonal or horizontal measurements? Anyway, it doesn't make any sense to buy a non 4K TV at this stage. The price difference is nominal. I just bought a Samsung QLED for more money than I care to admit.

24 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Are you using diagonal or horizontal measurements? Anyway, it doesn't make any sense to buy a non 4K TV at this stage. The price difference is nominal. I just bought a Samsung QLED for more money than I care to admit.

Why'd you go QLED? 

Honestly, 4K isn’t particularly necessary. The jump from HD to 4K is way smaller than the jump from SD to HD. The human eye can only see so much detail. Not that it isn’t a better picture, but the bandwidth trade offs aren’t necessarily worth it.