Tesla's Future Poll

GOAT9

Tesla Poll  

13 members have voted

1. 1. What do you see in Tesla's future?

• They take over the EV market and become the largest automaker in history.
    • Bankruptcy.
    • Get bought out but remain a high value brand.
    • Bankrupt but too big to fail and bailed out by the government.
    • Other: Explain

I think maybe I just realized why Tesla is having issues with the Model 3. 

I put down my deposit less than two weeks ago. The estimated delivery time was 6-12 months. 

Yesterday I got an email saying it’s time for me to place my order and it will be delivered in 2-4 months.

I suspect something isn’t right so I go online to place my order. It turns out I can only order the more expensive AWD that automatically comes with the additional costs of other upgrades that are standard for the AWD trim. 

I’m guessing they have a ton of people like me who just want a base model with an upgrade or two, not the $50k plus model. But for some reason they can’t produce the base model fast enough. 

• 3 months later...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/28/business/elon-musk-tesla-sec-deal.html

When Thursday began, Elon Musk had a deal on the table.

After days of tense negotiations, the Securities and Exchange Commission and lawyers for Mr. Musk, Tesla’s chief executive, had agreed on a settlement that would bring to a close a drama that has riveted Wall Street and Silicon Valley for the past two months.

Under the terms of the agreement, what started on Aug. 7 — when Mr. Musk posted on Twitter that he had “funding secured” to take Tesla private for $420 a share — would end with some modest penalties and Mr. Musk staying on as chief executive, according to two people briefed on the talks.

The plan, as it was negotiated by lawyers, was for Mr. Musk to step down as chairman of Tesla within 45 days and not resume that post for two years. The company, also a party to the proposed agreement, would add two new directors to its board. Mr. Musk and the company would pay tens of millions of dollars in fines, according to the people, who requested anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly. The negotiators planned to announce the agreement on Thursday after the markets closed.

But for Mr. Musk — an emotional, volatile and cocksure billionaire — the deal was unacceptable.

The settlement with the S.E.C. was a “neither admit nor deny” deal, meaning that Mr. Musk would not have acknowledged knowingly committing a violation. Mr. Musk, however, would not have been allowed to publicly state that he had done nothing wrong — and that was something he couldn’t accept, according to three people familiar with the talks.

So on Thursday morning, as settlement papers were being drawn up and news releases were being drafted, Mr. Musk walked away. Lawyers, Tesla executives and advisers to the company were stunned that he would turn away from such a favorable settlement.

And the S.E.C., taken aback, quickly changed course and upped the ante significantly. On Thursday afternoon, the agency sued Mr. Musk, seeking to bar him from serving as an executive or a director of a public company. If it wins, Mr. Musk will lose the company he co-founded. Tesla stock fell 14 percent on Friday.

“The company’s brand and stock will suffer if he leaves,” said Mike Ramsey, an auto analyst at Gartner. “But I hate to say it, they might be better off.”

3 hours ago, oldschool said:

Musk is Tesla. If he gets ousted it won't be long before Tesla goes belly up or gets bought by a competitor.

I think that was true early on. It’s a stable enough company that it would probably be fine without him at this point assuming their debt is dealt with. Kind of like how Apple has sailed right along after Steve Jobs died and Microsoft was fine when Bill Gates left. 

But i could absolutely see someone buying them. Probably not at their current valuation though. 

I guess that settlement with the SEC looked pretty good after all...

https://amp.cnn.com/money/2018/09/29/technology/business/elon-musk-tesla-sec-settlement/index.html

Elon Musk agreed Saturday to step down as chairman of Tesla and pay a $20 million fine in a deal to settle charges brought this week by the Securities and Exchange Commission. 

Under the settlement, which requires court approval, Musk will be allowed to stay as CEO but must leave his role as chairman of the board within 45 days. He cannot seek reelection for three years, according to court filings.

He accepted the deal with the SEC "without admitting or denying the allegations of the complaint," according to a court document.