LaFleur Article by Glennon

tgo

17 minutes ago, nine said:

It's not like LeFluer is looking to cure cancer.  All NFL offenses play by the same rules and they have the same fundamental plays for 95% of the playbook;  what sets them apart is the playcalling and play selection.

This is completely false. At least the 2nd part is and we have years and years of obvious examples. 

They all do use the same fundamental plays but what sets them apart isn't play selection, it's talent and QB play. 

Remember when the same staff went from Tebow to Manning? Did the staff improve the "play selection"?

Remember when the same staff went from Manning to no Manning with the Colts? Their play selection sure went down!

And the best one, last year GB without Rodgers were among the worst offenses in the league, probably the worst. They were going into OT against the Browns and if not for the worst teams in the league on the schedule would have went winless. This was with a QB who had been in McCarthy's system for years. 

49ers anyone? Last year before Jimmy G and after he started? 

It's a mighty big coincidence the same time teams lose or gain a top QB the offenses get way better. Is it because the "play selection" is simultaneously also improving at the same time? 

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't know I bet it looks very similar.  Like there will be 11 guys on the field, sometimes they'll run, sometimes they'll pass.   It's basically the exact same offense if you really think

This stat was 100% an artifact of game situations. Ballparking "normal" situations, which I define as 1st and 2nd downs in first 3 quarters, except inside 1H 2MW, 2017 Rams had 8th-highest pass rate (

Oilerman and tgo dying on that hill. I can guarantee we won’t see a lot of 2 man routes. 

25 minutes ago, nine said:

If LeFleur will simply do a better job of.......

He'll do a better job having a healthier improved Mariota, an added RB in Lewis and Davis in year two and healthy. 

If Mariota played the same, the RB core was the same and Decker was the X WR LaFluer's offense would suck

2 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

LaFluer basically doesn't have an audible system from early reports.... oops

How do we know this? We are making a lot of assumptions regarding him ditching McVay’s style offense and running an old man Shanny one. Yet because they didn’t give RG3(raw) or Goff(dumb) audible options they are not going to give a smart QB like Mariota the same? Did Matt Ryan not have the ability to audible? Doubtful. This seems like a leap. 

Just now, japan said:

How do we know this? 

Off memory Wolfe reported the new offense didn't have much of an audible system and Mariota would run the play called 

3 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Off memory Wolfe reported the new offense didn't have much of an audible system and Mariota would run the play called 

I know he speculated on this but I’m not willing to take Wolfe as gospel. 

48 minutes ago, nine said:

It's not like LeFluer is looking to cure cancer.  All NFL offenses play by the same rules and they have the same fundamental plays for 95% of the playbook;  what sets them apart is the playcalling and play selection.

Just ran across this

"I believe that players are more important than plays," Vrabel said.

Even the meanthead knows!

3 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

There are a few other factors that I don't think get enough attention. 

Marcus is built like a newborn fawn(stolen) and when Mularkey was hired his main order was protect Marcus at all cost. Amy Adam Shrunk has a hand in the amount of max protects they ran for Marcus as much or more than Mularkey. Remember in 2016 that Marcus was one of the least hit QBs and most well protected QBs in the league despite the broken leg. Oh and the 2016 offense was one of the most productive in the league with that. 

The other is how the schedule played out last year. The Titans played so many horrible offenses that they played it conservatively on purpose because the opposing offenses couldn't expose the defense. With a tougher schedule that was more of a threat they likely play more wide open. 

If you think this is the case and they were playing him smartly, then why did JRob fire Mularkey. You seen to think there will be minimal change to the offense as far as scheme but if that was the case, why fire the coach who won a football game. 

I am pretty sure that JRob shared some of the same frustration that other Titans fans had and yes Marcus will likely play better just due to having a healthy offense but more than that was needed to really make this offense optimized. 

In 2016, there was an 8 game stretch that the offense really looked great but in the 20 games since we never came close to duplicating it. Part of that was on Marcus. Part on the decline on Murray. But also a huge part was that teams more effectively game planned against this Mularkey lead offense and he failed to adjust. I think it was the lack of adjustment and his stubbornness that got him fired.

The new offense passes and runs from the same formations. That will allow us to become unpredictable which is one of the biggest changes compared to last year. That may be 2 TE or 3 WR sets. Who knows which influence Lefleur will follow more. Mcvay or Shannahan. My guess will be more shannahan but certainly with elements of Mcvay. 

Just now, Shafted1 said:

If you think this is the case and they were playing him smartly, then why did JRob fire Mularkey.

Mularkey wasn't his hire and as he took over more control he wanted someone who he hand picked who(in his own words) was on the same page as him. Mularkey viewed himself equal or even above Robinson in the pecking order. The actual reasons are just a guess. 

The fact remains Decker and Murray remain unsigned and were key pieces to the offense last year and Robinson signed Lewis. He also added an inline blocker later in the year. Mariota is also working on basic mechanical issues that is admittedly problems. 

I think LaFluer is better and will put an offense that has Mariota making easier throws and the offensive scheme will be better. I just don't buy 100% of the woes last season was on the scheme. That's just homer talk and people trying to justify their preconceived thoughts before the hire. Just like when the offense took off in 2016, "They changed the offense(to what I said they should have done!)"

1 hour ago, tgo said:

This is true. From what we know, Mariota will have far less control at the LOS now, if any at all. 

Which can be fine in an offense where things are designed from the ground up to hide what you're doing. Our offense was incredibly predicable. Being able to change the play is more important in that scenario than in one where the defense doesn't know what is coming.

56 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Are you perhaps remembering an interview of Dan Orlovsky on the Midday 180? That's where I recall hearing something like what you're saying.