Barry Sanders

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was looking at the single game and season records and I started looking at Barry Sanders stats. That guy was routinely great. Not above average or even very good, but great. And he was routinely gre

Its crazy how head and shoulders more talented he was than Emmit Smith its not even funny

He bounced it outside too much.....

7 hours ago, NashvilleNinja said:

He averaged 1500 yards a season. I'd find another way of describing his play than "he took too many losses".

Averaging 1500 yards a season doesn't make the fact he took too many losses untrue.

He was completely boom or bust.

He was an electric runner who made a lot of big plays but made for an overall inconsistent running game at times

You want the RB consistently getting at least what's blocked and consistently getting positive yards and putting the offense in manageable situations

3 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Averaging 1500 yards a season doesn't make the fact he took too many losses untrue.

He was completely boom or bust.

He was an electric runner who made a lot of big plays but made for an overall inconsistent running game at times

You want the RB consistently getting at least what's blocked and consistently getting positive yards and putting the offense in manageable situations

I think he had 2 playoff games where he had either very little yardage or negative yardage.  In all honesty he wasn't much different than Chris Johnson.  He had the same frustrating style.  He could break off a 75 yard run and make everyone forget all the 3rd and longs he caused the offense to be in.

1 hour ago, scine09 said:

I think he had 2 playoff games where he had either very little yardage or negative yardage.  In all honesty he wasn't much different than Chris Johnson.  He had the same frustrating style.  He could break off a 75 yard run and make everyone forget all the 3rd and longs he caused the offense to be in.

Watching this he seems a lot slower top-end than I remembered. If CJ had a daylight in front of him no one was catching and he routinely made players look horrible taking tackle angles.

I see alot of people catching Barry from behind here.

It seems that he has no wind up going from 0-100. Once he started moving forward he was full speed in one step.

23 minutes ago, prine06 said:

Watching this he seems a lot slower top-end than I remembered. If CJ had a daylight in front of him no one was catching and he routinely made players look horrible taking tackle angles.

I see alot of people catching Barry from behind here.

It seems that he has no wind up going from 0-100. Once he started moving forward he was full speed in one step.

Johnson was faster.  But their styles were similar.

4 minutes ago, Number9 said:

He took too many losses?  He played for Detroit.  They had one weapon, Barry.

Imagine if he and Megatron played together.  

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.  Go do some research on the 1991-1997 Detroit Lions.  They were absolutely loaded offensively.  In fact Herman Moore had the most catches by any player in NFL history in one season in 1995 (a record that has since been broken).  Moore, Brett Perriman and Johnnie Morton were as good a 1-3 at WR as there was in football.  They always had adequate QB play with Rodney Peete, Erik Kramer, Dave Krieg and Scott Mitchell (Mitchell was terrific in that 1995 season). The OL always had good players with guys like Lomas Brown and Kevin Glover.  And defensively they always had a ton of talent.  Remember Robert Porcher, Henry Thomas, Chris Spielman, Pat Swilling and Bennie Blades?  Just a few guys who were big players at times on Detroit's defenses.

They were a big time underachieving team and a lot of that had to do with Sanders.  The talent was there to do more than win just 1 playoff game.

1 minute ago, scine09 said:

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.  Go do some research on the 1991-1997 Detroit Lions.  They were absolutely loaded offensively.  In fact Herman Moore had the most catches by any player in NFL history in one season in 1995 (a record that has since been broken).  Moore, Brett Perriman and Johnnie Morton were as good a 1-3 at WR as there was in football.  They always had adequate QB play with Rodney Peete, Erik Kramer, Dave Krieg and Scott Mitchell (Mitchell was terrific in that 1995 season). The OL always had good players with guys like Lomas Brown and Kevin Glover.  And defensively they always had a ton of talent.  Remember Robert Porcher, Henry Thomas, Chris Spielman, Pat Swilling and Bennie Blades?  Just a few guys who were big players at times on Detroit's defenses.

They were a big time underachieving team and a lot of that had to do with Sanders.  The talent was there to do more than win just 1 playoff game.

.:sad:

22 minutes ago, Number9 said:

He took too many losses?  He played for Detroit.  They had one weapon, Barry.

Imagine if he and Megatron played together.  

X

Herman Moore was Jerry Rice Lite for many years.

14 minutes ago, scine09 said:

1 minute ago, WG53 said:

X

Herman Moore was Jerry Rice Lite for many years.

I think this has chicken or the egg capabilities.  Pretty much all I remember was Barry Sanders and the Detroit Lions.  Yes, I remember all those players mentioned around him.  Barry is legitimately in the argument of top 5 greatest and on everybody's top 10 list, but if not for him the Lions would have won _____ SB's.   Makes sense.

Just now, Number9 said:

I think this has chicken or the egg capabilities.  Pretty much all I remember was Barry Sanders and the Detroit Lions.  Yes, I remember all those players mentioned around him.  Barry is legitimately in the argument of top 5 greatest and on everybody's top 10 list, but if not for him the Lions would have won _____ SB's.   Makes sense.

Those teams had success but they weren't better than the 49ers, cowboys, or packers in the 90s. But they were competitive teams.