6÷2 (1+2) = ___

1 hour ago, NashvilleNinja said:

Yep. Math, in and of itself, is not ambiguous. The ambiguity in math is the ambiguity people leave behind. Math can be complicated, but complicated and ambiguous aren't the same thing.

Google calculator immediately outputs this as 9. The calculator at this site https://www.desmos.com/scientific writes it as a fraction and automatically places the (2+1) at the bottom of the fraction, thus getting 1 as the output. But if you move the cursor up to the middle part of the fraction you get 9. That's actually the best visual representation of the debate that I've seen. People who are getting 1 as the answer are multiplying the sum in the parenthesis by the denominator in the fraction whereas the people getting 9 are multiplying the fraction, or rather the sum of dividing the numerator by the denominator, by the sum in the parenthesis.

5hEqO8p.png

VS

8NNzM1I.png

But there's never ambiguity in math!

giphy.gif

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Once you do the addition within the parentheses it is removed leaving division on the left and multiplication on the right. At that point you just solve from left to right as they are on the same leve

Holy crap. Who leaves parentheses in place after solving part of an equation? I fear for education in this country. This is a simple math problem everyone beyond 3rd grade should know how to do.

That's the thing with this equation. I think it was written vaguely on purpose to stir up debate. I've seen debate about these equations in other places as heated as a debate about politics or religio

17 hours ago, LongTimeFan said:

I disagree. Implied operators come before known operators.

So you are just another poster that gets literally everything wrong.

3 minutes ago, WG53 said:

It is 9. 

Linking quora as an authority. Goddamn you are stupid.

You are too invested in this math problem.you are the fucking idiot. Graduated Tau Beta pi from my engineering school many years ago.  I gave my supporting argument. Your support is 'I say so'.

14 minutes ago, LongTimeFan said:

You are too invested in this math problem.you are the fucking idiot. Graduated Tau Beta pi from my engineering school many years ago.  I gave my supporting argument. Your support is 'I say so'.

I dont give a flying fuck about your imaginary degrees.

Your supporting argument was from quora and is incorrect. 

My support is knowing the orders of operation and how they are applied correctly.

15 minutes ago, LongTimeFan said:

I'm sure the people who programmed the Google calculator have fairly impressive degrees themselves, but hey... whatever. Appeal to authority is appeal to authority. I'm happy for you that you have a piece of paper that says you know shit. But this isn't an equation that requires some advanced engineering degree to solve.

And @Cyrus, like it or not you're a part of Titans Report too so...

Boxer-Punch-Himself-in-Head.gif

15 minutes ago, LongTimeFan said:

3. Next,

multiplication and division get carried out from left to right. So a*b/c*d is ((a*b)/c)*d. Note that division can be thought of as still carrying out a multiplication since a/b = a*(1/b), so it makes a certain sense that neither division nor multiplication takes precedence over one another.

1) Parenthesis (1+2)... 3

2) Exponents (there are none)

3) Multiplication & division, from left to right, 6/2 = 3 (3) = 9

4) Addition & subtraction (there is none left)

6 gets divided by whatever number is next... and it sure ain't 6 because no math problems in this equation have RESULTED in the sum of 6 YET. There was the pre-existing 6 at the beginning of the equation. And it gets divided by TWO because that is the very next number in the order. The resulting sum of 3 is then multiplied by whatever is left, and that is the number 3.

In order to get 1 you have to first solve the parenthesis, then multiply 2 (3), and then divide 6/6... which means you're going from right to left.

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, Cyrus said:

But there's never ambiguity in math!

giphy.gif

There isn't. it's poor code written by those who don't truly understand algebraic equations and the order of operations. Keep claiming but an online calculator told me it's 1! It just makes you sound even more pretentious because you won't just say my bad, I'm wrong.