6÷2 (1+2) = ___

You are in El Paso and travel to New York City.  A train takes 3 days 4 hours. A car takes 2 days 3 hours.  A plane takes 6 hours.  If you take the plane but look at the train, while driving a car, how long does it take you?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Once you do the addition within the parentheses it is removed leaving division on the left and multiplication on the right. At that point you just solve from left to right as they are on the same leve

Holy crap. Who leaves parentheses in place after solving part of an equation? I fear for education in this country. This is a simple math problem everyone beyond 3rd grade should know how to do.

That's the thing with this equation. I think it was written vaguely on purpose to stir up debate. I've seen debate about these equations in other places as heated as a debate about politics or religio

1 hour ago, 9 Nines said:

You are in El Paso and travel to New York City.  A train takes 3 days 4 hours. A car takes 2 days 3 hours.  A plane takes 6 hours.  If you take the plane but look at the train, while driving a car, how long does it take you?

It takes me 4 burritos. 

1 final answer 

Granted the division sign could be fucking me up. I'm assuming it's basically saying 6/(2(2+1)) but that could be wrong.

If it's essentially (6(2+1))/2 then it's 9.

Edit: yup. It's 9. The other group of parenthesis aren't implied.

Edited by reo

On 5/7/2018 at 10:05 PM, NashvilleNinja said:

You bunch of imbeciles. All of you. The answer is so painfully obvious.

88a44e087f3b3f15efdc195272915088--cheate

See? Even 9 knows it's 1.

Hey FistShaker, 9 was just slightly smarter than you, which by the way isn’t saying a whole hell of a lot. He apparently got some pussy though and we all know how that worked out. What happened this afternoon? Mom have to take a flamethrower to your bathroom?

4 hours ago, reo said:

He's right. It's 9. There's a reason engineers don't use ÷ though. Typically people write it as a fraction to be clearer.

That's the thing with this equation. I think it was written vaguely on purpose to stir up debate. I've seen debate about these equations in other places as heated as a debate about politics or religion. Which is just further proof... people will disagree and argue about anything, even if it's a boring ass math problem from 4th grade, if they feel their ego has come down with a case of butthurt.

33 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

That's the thing with this equation. I think it was written vaguely on purpose to stir up debate. I've seen debate about these equations in other places as heated as a debate about politics or religion. Which is just further proof... people will disagree and argue about anything, even if it's a boring ass math problem from 4th grade, if they feel their ego has come down with a case of butthurt.

The thing is this is easy enough to test. Put it in a calculator as written. That's how I found my mistake. If this was in a professional setting though it'd be written differently.

But yeah people will argue about anything especially online.

1 minute ago, reo said:

The thing is this is easy enough to test. Put it in a calculator as written. That's how I found my mistake. If this was in a professional setting though it'd be written differently.

Yep. Math, in and of itself, is not ambiguous. The ambiguity in math is the ambiguity people leave behind. Math can be complicated, but complicated and ambiguous aren't the same thing.

Google calculator immediately outputs this as 9. The calculator at this site https://www.desmos.com/scientific writes it as a fraction and automatically places the (2+1) at the bottom of the fraction, thus getting 1 as the output. But if you move the cursor up to the middle part of the fraction you get 9. That's actually the best visual representation of the debate that I've seen. People who are getting 1 as the answer are multiplying the sum in the parenthesis by the denominator in the fraction whereas the people getting 9 are multiplying the fraction, or rather the sum of dividing the numerator by the denominator, by the sum in the parenthesis.

5hEqO8p.png

VS

8NNzM1I.png