GLinks

As we’re getting closer to the draft, I’ve been looking again at which RBs the Titans might draft and when. I’m thinking day 3, around the 4th round. 

Most all of these guys are closer to Dion Lewis in measurables than Henry. 

In no specific order, I think the Titans are looking most closely at: 

Nyheim Hines, N.C. St. —  We know he ran a 4.38 at the Combine. Perfect OZR fit with great hands. He may wind up as a 2nd or 3rd rounder at this point.

John Kelly, UT — Very natural hands catcher. Probably a great fit since he can run and catch well, and isn’t afraid to block or pass protect. He may be a bit too shady in the off-field area though. We’ll see. I think he obviously benefits a lot from Alvin Kamara, but so do all of the backs.

Ito Smith, Southern Miss — Literally named after Judge Ito of OJ trial fame. Had around 4500 yards rushing and over 1400 yards receiving during his college career! And about 90% of that was in the last three of four years. Not super fast, but extremely quick — Barry Sanders-lite in space, sometimes. Problem for most is he plays in C-USA. CJ2K loves him, in fact. I know. But his production is so huge, it’s Mr. Biggles huge. Just obscene. In 2015-17, he scored 13, 19 and 15 TDs, respectively. 

Mark Walton, Miami — He also may completely exceed his initial draft forecast. Seems the later the process goes, the more people are comfortable with his recent injury. I think he’s almost lock to go early in that second frame of RBs taken.

Jaylen Samuels, N.C. State — Not really a RB, not really a HB, not really a TE, not really a WR. Yet he’s done all of those. Nor is this the sexiest pick on the list, except for one thing:  his TD production — 16, 13, 16 in 2015-17.

These are just my thoughts based on who we’re seeing Titans interest in and extrapolating that to other similar players. I think any of these guys are fine as a 3rd and maybe 2nd RB in case one of Henry or Lewis can’t go. Who do you guys like at this point?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They were going to sign a vet RB no matter what with Murray leaving; the fact that they had a ton of cap room and were able to sign one of the top guys out there is leading all these people to assume

It's a very simple issue but people are much more concerned about being right than what is actually optimal for the team.

Everyone on offense was expected to be an OL.  Remember how they kept putting guys like Douglas, who couldn't block to save his life, on blitzing LBs and S. 

Posted Images

I asked about Chase.  Word is he's pretty good but dinged up quite a bit.  Apparently, he had a game this last year that set some records.  Honestly, I had never heard of the kid until it popped up we had some interest in him.  

One of the guys I work with is in a class with him.  He didn't think very highly of him.  For whatever that's worth.  Sorry, I can't give anything more substantial than that.  We have a little turf fight going with the football team because there is limited space on Fordham campus to do stuff and they don't like us on their football field.  Anyways, there's that.  

Don't overlook Jordan Wilkens from Ole Miss.  Though injured most of  his 4 years in Oxford he finally got well and became a vital part of the Rebel offense.  He rushed for over a grand last year  after the new staff  learned how to use him.  He not only runs with power but has adequate speed to break some long ones.  He's an excellent pass blocker and receiver.  He can also throw the ball well as he completed a handful of passes off fake bubble screens. A real diamond in the rough, I believe he would be an ideal fit for the Titans.

Jaylen Samuels, N.C. State is my guy because he really is a clone of Dion Lewis.  Dude is like a WR as an RB.   Guice and Kenyon Johnson from AU are the best inside the tackle runners and better than Barkley.  I think Barkley is a lot of hype.  He won't be running wide open in the C gap in the NFL and he has been ordinary inside.  Those are my top backs.  

3 minutes ago, Bongo59 said:

Jaylen Samuels, N.C. State is my guy because he really is a clone of Dion Lewis.  Dude is like a WR as an RB.   Guice and Kenyon Johnson from AU are the best inside the tackle runners and better than Barkley.  I think Barkley is a lot of hype.  He won't be running wide open in the C gap in the NFL and he has been ordinary inside.  Those are my top backs.  

Nheim Hines is a clone of Lewis

Good fit...but Hines is an all purpose back. Can line him up as a WR and returner. If by some slim chance he's there at 89 we should grab him!!!

With the scheme change depending on how much priority Robinson puts into adding a RB I do wonder whether or not Derrick Henry is a legit trade candidate. I assumed they needed a legit RB added but the more I think about it if they do add one in the mid rounds he's likely going to play and that could make Henry irrelevant. Adding to @Jamalisms point about his attitude and place on the team it would be better to get value while they can. 

I could see it......but Henry has been an asset in the pass game.  He just hardly ever gets the chances.  His first game against Minn he had a great screen play and last year the Jax screen was gorgeous.  When he gets some space he is pretty amazing.  He is a lot faster on the field than his 4.55 shows.  Nobody catches him from behind when he goes.  

1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

With the scheme change depending on how much priority Robinson puts into adding a RB I do wonder whether or not Derrick Henry is a legit trade candidate. I assumed they needed a legit RB added but the more I think about it if they do add one in the mid rounds he's likely going to play and that could make Henry irrelevant. Adding to @Jamalisms point about his attitude and place on the team it would be better to get value while they can. 

I think they want swiss army knives at RB. Henry doesn't qualify. Still a role for him, given his abilities... but I don't think that's what he wants.

I still don't think he gets a second contract here. Will want a lead role and the $ that comes with it.

If they trade Henry then the landscape changes. They will need not the Lewis clone, but a more every down back again.  I won’t be shocked per se, but I think any move of Henry doesn’t happen until after the season. He needs a full season to increase his trade value, in my opinion. I don’t think we would even get a second if we traded him now.