China Imposes Tarrifs on 128 US imports.(update: EU imposes billions in Tarrifs on US)

heyitsmeallen

1 hour ago, Starkiller said:

We outsourced most of our manufacturing to countries with cheaper labor. But what's the solution to that? Going back to slave labor is out of the question, so the manufacturing is only coming back in the form of automation. That will help with the trade deficit, but it won't really help with the jobs market.

I voted for Hillary Clinton.

People need jobs.  They make income that can be taxed to pay for goods and services provided by the government.  If they don't have income, then where is the government going to get money to afford the American citizens the services they have come to expect?

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Worst of the GOP? Level headed moderates? They are 100%united. See Lindsey Graham and the rest of the lot. They vote down the party line. The GOP hasn't governed in years and years. There is no "worst

What Trump has done more than anything is expose the lies and hypocrisy of conservative Republicans. They didn't mean any of it. Spending, family values, law enforcement etc.... all BS.   Th

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Rolltide said:

A national sales tax? I can see a state sales tax. We are talking about national policy here. 

There doesn’t need to be a national sales tax. Simply enforce all current state sales taxes on any interstate purchases. 

The Supreme Court is actually hearing a case that could settle this.

https://constitutioncenter.org/blog/supreme-court-set-to-tackle-internet-sales-tax-question

2 minutes ago, Number9 said:

I voted for Hillary Clinton.

Not sure what that has to do with the question at hand...

2 minutes ago, Number9 said:

People need jobs.  They make income that can be taxed to pay for goods and services provided by the government.  If they don't have income, then where is the government going to get money to afford the American citizens the services they have come to expect?

People do need jobs. Just saying we aren’t getting manufacturing jobs back regardless. 

20 minutes ago, Rolltide said:

On another thread he used the word "normalizing" several times. Not very deep then either. 

Repeated correct use of the same word is a bad thing? Interesting.

Probably only bc you didn't realize you were doing it.

Edited by reo

Just now, Starkiller said:

People do need jobs. Just saying we aren’t getting manufacturing jobs back regardless. 

Just saying I am not rubber stamping Trump's ideas.  I want to point out the facts that the American people have enough sense to work in factories, build them here for us to work in.  You pay them and they come back to spend the money with you.  A huge amount of these imported goods are being produced by American companies.  Henry Ford looked in his factories and said he wanted to build a car that his workers could buy.  He built the Model T.  Today, companies are building things overseas and selling them to whoever can afford them.  They don't give a shit about the quality of life in America.

Today, America has a huge infrastructure problem.  Roads, water pipes, bridges, airports and railway systems are in very bad shape.  Why is this?  Does the lack employment income have anything to do with it?  Does anybody think that having a huge and growing trade deficit has anything to do with it?  Other countries use tariffs.  Why is China's middle-class growing and America's is declining.

20 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

Why can't we build manufacturing plants in America for our people to earn money from what they buy?  

21 minutes ago, 9 Nines said:

I wonder if President Trump will try to one-up China by imposing more tariffs.  

“We have the best tarrifs. No one has tarrifs like us. Chy-na tried to tarrif us back so I’m imposing even biglyer Tarrifs now” 

37 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Why can't we build manufacturing plants in America for our people to earn money from what they buy?  

Because manufacturing is usually large quantity low margin products that wont bring in enough money to afford US workers. You have to keep this in mind. The Chinese Median family income is around 12,000 US Dollars compared to 84,000 for US households. Combine this with the fact that the US has a higher Corporate tax rate, and we have expensive business regulations. If you want a factory in the US you have to have expensive equipment that meets health, safety, and environment requirements. China doesn't give a shit about any of that. 

Those things make it hard for any Financial Officer in a company to justify choosing the US over China for its operations. Trump is right when he says that countries like China do not treat the US "fairly." However, his ideas to fix that are not well planned and potentially destructive. 

6 minutes ago, GoaTTitanMcNair9 said:

Because manufacturing is usually large quantity low margin products that wont bring in enough money to afford US workers. You have to keep this in mind. The Chinese Median family income is around 12,000 US Dollars compared to 84,000 for US households. Combine this with the fact that the US has a higher Corporate tax rate, and we have expensive business regulations. If you want a factory in the US you have to have expensive equipment that meets health, safety, and environment requirements. China doesn't give a shit about any of that. 

Those things make it hard for any Financial Officer in a company to justify choosing the US over China for its operations. Trump is right when he says that countries like China do not treat the US "fairly." However, his ideas to fix that are not well planned and potentially destructive. 

We build automobiles.  They build automobiles in Germany and Japan.  How come we have all the torn up infrastructure?  People talk bad about Detroit, but the automobile industry fed and clothed millions in the Michigan area.  Now, cities like Flint don't even have decent drinking water.  They are our people.  Look at the ginormous waste in that part of America.   It doesn't make sense.  

It's a symbiotic relationship.  I have watched as Americans have become poorer and poorer.  I own Amazon stock, but working there I have heard is very taxing.  They hire a lot of part-time employees.  When their workers go across a bridge, should we just let it fall in?  Or like Flint, kill them because their plant closed?  I saw a special about east KY having the worse water in the country.  Their water isn't even clear.  It's been like that a long time.  It takes money to solve our problems and sending our money out without the same returned is just bad.

This is part of how Trump got elected.  He said he was going to try to help these people.  

1 hour ago, Number9 said:

Just saying I am not rubber stamping Trump's ideas.  I want to point out the facts that the American people have enough sense to work in factories, build them here for us to work in.  You pay them and they come back to spend the money with you.  A huge amount of these imported goods are being produced by American companies.  Henry Ford looked in his factories and said he wanted to build a car that his workers could buy.  He built the Model T.  Today, companies are building things overseas and selling them to whoever can afford them.  They don't give a shit about the quality of life in America.

Corporations arent in it for American workers. They are in it for the shareholders. It’s all about profits. And it’s more profitable to get cheap Chinese (or Mexican, Vietnamese, wherever) labor.

And I agree that’s bad for the American economy, but businesses don’t care about anything beyond their own bottom line.

Today, America has a huge infrastructure problem.  Roads, water pipes, bridges, airports and railway systems are in very bad shape.  Why is this?  Does the lack employment income have anything to do with it?  Does anybody think that having a huge and growing trade deficit has anything to do with it?  Other countries use tariffs.  Why is China's middle-class growing and America's is declining.

The government could pay for those infrastructure upgrades already. And I’ve been on the infrastructure bandwagon for a decade now. It should have been done when the cost of borrowing was cheap and unemployment was high, but Republicans only cared about blocking Obama and didn’t give a shit about what’s good for the country.

The trade gap is because we sent our manufacturing overseas and we import a lot of oil. But I don’t think the trade deficit is all that meaningful in and of itself.

And China's middle class is growing because they are doing exactly what America did after WW2... major infrastructure spending and manufacturing and selling to the rest of the world. It’s a model that America abandoned, which is why our middle class has collapsed.

4 hours ago, Number9 said:

Money and capital always seek to go where it is most powerful. That is the essence of capitalism. Our dollar is more powerful being spent on foreign goods than it is domestically (more goods per dollar spent). This is the evening out phase when you talk about whose middle class is growing. Eventually the same thing will happen in China (it already is) as their living standards increase and their capital is more powerful being used in other countries where labor is cheap. 

This is why capitalism in its essence is beautiful and has been one of the singular reasons for technological advancement. The US is propped up by our military prowess, the strength and security of our bonds and currency, the power of the FED, and the massive consumer base. We are the hegemon. If we do not invent the next wave of technology, or at least be the place it is instituted and pushed on the world then we will find ourselves in deep trouble in the next 25 years. 

Automation could exacerbate the problem as they make the production of goods even cheaper.  Increasing profits for the wealthy and leaving even fewer jobs for the lower and middle class.  I mean driverless cars are here now.  They will improve that technology and as the technology improves, the use of it will spread.

That alone is a whole lot of pretty good jobs gone. Meanwhile, there will continue to be credential inflation and so the gap between the haves and have-nots will just continue to grow bigger and bigger.