Sign in to follow this  
tgo

Mariota working out with Tajae Sharpe in L.A. (Update: Other WRs/Jonnu)

I know Mariota said earlier in the offseason that he's working with Jared Goff as well, picking his brain about LaFleur's offense. 

Sharpe looked great early on his rookie year. Hopefully he's been putting in the work his workout video suggested.

We could use a receiver with speed, but the team may have plenty of confidence in the guys they have. Going after Watkins, Landry, or Robinson is probably unnecessary and not at all in JRob's plans.

I think Tajae may have been written off a bit early. While he didn't come close to the rookie year he was being hyped to have, he held his own. And that hype didn't come from nowhere, he was obviously impressing on the practice field. Then he played very well in the preseason games & caught 7/76 against a very tough Minnesota secondary on Opening Day. He looked like he was already a legit starting WR. Then he just fell off the planet.

If I had to guess I'd say he either got a nagging injury or most likely corners just started jamming the shit out of him. It makes sense. Once in his route he's a good, smooth route runner that gets open pretty easy. So corners probably get up in his face & he unfortunately wasn't fast enough to make them pay.

Mularkey said he thinks he'd make a big jump if he hit the weights hard & put on some muscle, which I agree with. He claims he put on 8 lbs last year, so we'll see. 

Good move by Sharpe but I still think he's going to get lost in the shuffle unless he really shows something great in camp.

Need to get Davis out there though. Any word on him?

4 minutes ago, reo said:

Good move by Sharpe but I still think he's going to get lost in the shuffle unless he really shows something great in camp.

Nothing other than Rob Moore and him have communicating with eachother. 

59 minutes ago, reo said:

Just keep in mind it's not Mularkey's offense any longer. Even someone lost in the shuffle can do good things in a more open offense. And I dont think he'll be lost. He should at least be ahead of Taylor this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see him as the 3rd receiver on the depth chart begins Davis and Matthews, assuming we don't bring in another guy above him.

Taylor needs to be there as well.  Maybe he and Davis have plans to get with Mariota at a different time.  The young receivers will do well to watch Sharpe's work ethic and see how much he want to play in the league.  Guys like Douglas don't have elite skills, but they last because they condition and work hard.

Edited by Number9

If Sharpe gets a little stronger he could really be a decent possession guy.  He is already 6'2 and was 194 pounds at his combine.  If he can get to 204 without losing any quickness he becomes a decent sized guy.  By the way Sharpe ran a 4.55 at the combine.  Jarvis Landry ran a 4.77.  I'd rather see what Sharpe can do before we spend a pick and mega bucks on Landry.

1 hour ago, Face said:

I think Tajae may have been written off a bit early. While he didn't come close to the rookie year he was being hyped to have, he held his own. And that hype didn't come from nowhere, he was obviously impressing on the practice field. Then he played very well in the preseason games & caught 7/76 against a very tough Minnesota secondary on Opening Day. He looked like he was already a legit starting WR. Then he just fell off the planet.

If I had to guess I'd say he either got a nagging injury or most likely corners just started jamming the shit out of him. It makes sense. Once in his route he's a good, smooth route runner that gets open pretty easy. So corners probably get up in his face & he unfortunately wasn't fast enough to make them pay.

Mularkey said he thinks he'd make a big jump if he hit the weights hard & put on some muscle, which I agree with. He claims he put on 8 lbs last year, so we'll see. 

Agreed. 

I like Sharpe and actually think he bounces back this year.

People overhyped Sharpe way too much during his first TC, now they're undervaluing him. He was a rookie 5th round pick put in a tough situation where he was asked to immediately come in and start. I think he hit the rookie wall towards the end, but he had solid production considering. I think he can fill a role similar to Kupp.