Around the NFL FA News & Signings

AussieTitanFan08

7 hours ago, BeedoeLaw said:

And a lot of people on this board are crying that we won't be able to sign Mariota and Lewan if we sign a big money FA. BULLSHIT! We can afford Poe, Suh, Sitton, Klien, and Breeland, plus make Lewan and Mariota the top paid players at their position.

Edit: I'm not necessarily saying we should, only that we could and it not put us in cap trouble. 

This isn't complicated. The way to long-term success is a slow build through the draft with supplemental players via free agency. Retain your homegrown guys and shop for discarded bargains. Just because you can afford to blow a big wad at once doesn't mean you should. 

It may not be exciting, but it isn't supposed to be. Enjoying multiple 11/12 win seasons and being a frequent playoff resident is. Besides, they don't hand out trophies for "winning" free agency.

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No better revenge than to sign with a division rival. 

TR: "That contract is stupid", "He's washed up", "He gets hurt too much", "Too old", "Locker room cancer - pass"   Also TR: "WE NEVER SIGN ANYONE!!!"   Fickle ass fuckers.

Posted Images

Just now, NashvilleNinja said:

This isn't complicated. The way to long-term success is a slow build through the draft with supplemental players via free agency. Retain your homegrown guys and shop for discarded bargains. Just because you can afford to blow a big wad at once doesn't mean you should. 

It may not be exciting, but it isn't supposed to be. Enjoying multiple 11/12 win seasons and being a frequent playoff resident is. Besides, they don't hand out trophies for "winning" free agency.

I agree with most of this, but philly is a prime example of a team that made some bold moves in FA and via trade that won a championship. The jags D is the best in the league because of their FA acquasitions. I'm not saying we need to win FA, nor am I panicking. I'm just pointing out that teams that have spent hella money, are still spending hella money in strategic places to help their franchise. I hope we do the same. We can do the same, while also retaining our core homegrown talent. Other teams seem to have no problem doing it. 

6 minutes ago, Ricky said:

For the #Jaguars and WR Marqise Lee, it’s a 4-year deal worth up to $38M, source said, including $18M guaranteed.

See. Marqise Lee was drafted by the jags. He was retained despite of the millions they've spent in FA the past 3 years. It can be done.

It's true though. What has Bradford really done? The guy's been paid huge. Had a team trade a 1st round pick for him. But he hasn't really done anything. Never taken a team to the playoffs. The guy has been paid more than anyone for doing pretty much nothing.

4 minutes ago, BeedoeLaw said:

I agree with most of this, but philly is a prime example of a team that made some bold moves in FA and via trade that won a championship. The jags D is the best in the league because of their FA acquasitions. I'm not saying we need to win FA, nor am I panicking. I'm just pointing out that teams that have spent hella money, are still spending hella money in strategic places to help their franchise. I hope we do the same. We can do the same, while also retaining our core homegrown talent. Other teams seem to have no problem doing it. 

They don't have a problem now because they have the money now. But you can only front load deals so much before you start eating into future cap space and not leaving a lot of space to carry over into following seasons.

It's not about being able to do both. It's about prioritizing what's important now while always leaving yourself room to breath down the road. You never know who might become available later.

1 minute ago, NashvilleNinja said:

They don't have a problem now because they have the money now. But you can only front load deals so much before you start eating into future cap space and not leaving a lot of space to carry over into following seasons.

It's not about being able to do both. It's about prioritizing what's important now while always leaving yourself room to breath down the road. You never know who might become available later.

I agree. I guess the "who might become available later" came in the form of the players philly  made moves on to get them a championship this past season, and the players the jags signed to make their D #1.

• Jonboy unpinned this topic