Jonboy

49ers Sign Garoppolo To Long Term Deal, 5 Years $137.5 Million

reo   
Just now, XanderMXIX said:

I’m not saying they’re cap strapped but unproven QBs are getting paid the highest deals year after year and eventually it’s going to become a problem because it just keeps going up. It’ll get the point where a QB is making 1/3 of the teams salary that year. That’s a joke

If it's not strangling their cap situation, I've got no problem with it. Honesty even if it does, I don't really care as long as the titans don't do it.

Just now, Soxcat said:

They could try and get something in the agreement that no one player can make over a certain % of the CAP.  Not sure why the players would care one way or another since that is more to go around for the other guys.  But really, who cares?  Any team paying out mega bucks on one player just has less to build the rest of their team. 

It does shock me the 49ers paid that much out.  Obviously the results so far look good but still, Jimmy hasn't played as a full time starter for a single season yet.  He is getting paid like he is a top QB.  Makes no sense.

I guess my think is that it’s going to be increasingly hard for teams to build and keep players if the QBs keep getting more and more each year with no limit. What’s to say in 50 years a QB isn’t getting 300 mill? I really like how the NBA does it. 

chef   
2 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

They could try and get something in the agreement that no one player can make over a certain % of the CAP.  Not sure why the players would care one way or another since that is more to go around for the other guys.  But really, who cares?  Any team paying out mega bucks on one player just has less to build the rest of their team. 

It does shock me the 49ers paid that much out.  Obviously the results so far look good but still, Jimmy hasn't played as a full time starter for a single season yet.  He is getting paid like he is a top QB.  Makes no sense.

QBs being treated like late 90's .com IPOs.  More on buzz than P/E.

Just now, reo said:

If it's not strangling their cap situation, I've got no problem with it. Honesty even if it does, I don't really care as long as the titans don't do it.

Just now, reo said:

Problem is the titans will have no choice now. Mariota has had winning seasons and won a playoff game so he’ll need to be offered more. The cycle will just continue.

3 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

The players are the ones who should be the most pissed.  Each dollar given out to a QB is a dollar less that is available to the other players.  Also, add in another 5+ mil or so for the backup and that is a huge amount for one position.

I agree 100% 

reo   
Just now, XanderMXIX said:

Problem is the titans will have no choice now. Mariota has had winning seasons and won a playoff game so he’ll need to be offered more. The cycle will just continue.

Players break record deals every year at every position. QBs just make the most. It's not really a huge deal bc the cap keeps going up too.

reo   
4 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

The players are the ones who should be the most pissed.  Each dollar given out to a QB is a dollar less that is available to the other players.  Also, add in another 5+ mil or so for the backup and that is a huge amount for one position.

So you're saying you're not a fan of pure capitalism? You want some regulation so they can spread the wealth around to other players? :D

Soxcat   
1 minute ago, reo said:

Players break record deals every year at every position. QBs just make the most. It's not really a huge deal bc the cap keeps going up too.

Not really.  Some positions don't get much if any more money.  Teams have to skimp somewhere so what really happens is more and more inequality.  For example, a team might pay a QB and LT a record deal but pay most of the rest of the line, RBs and borderline starters peanuts.  If I were the union I'd want higher minimum salaries and a % CAP ceiling on other contracts.  These guys are risking their brains, knees and such so some guy can make 20X what they do.  There obviously needs to be differences in pay rates but not so extreme there is a huge gorge between the top and bottom.   

Aramis   
2 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Robert Kraft is a total moron

The Pats possibly had a Montana to Young situation and blew it. 

Kraft can barely string an entire thought together. His interviews pregame to the super bowl were cringy. 

Good for the 9ers.

It's a lot of money, but if JG can play like he did at the end of the year they will be setup for a nice run. Lynch has done a great job as GM, imo.

45 minutes ago, XanderMXIX said:

Do these teams not understand that if you keep making your QB the highest paid player in the NFL every year that they are going to kill their team in the future? I mean it’s getting ridiculous. There’s no reason he should be the highest paid. On now the next QB will say he should be the highest paid. 

They really need to put to put a cap on how much a player can make maximum or in 10-15 years QBs will be getting 200 million dollar contracts who haven’t even played in the playoffs. Just insane. I remember when you had to win playoff games and the Super Bowl to get paid with the highest of the highest. 

Do you hate capitalism?