Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jonboy

Brugler's First Big Board

Jonboy   

–1. Quenton Nelson, OG, Notre Dame (6-4, 325, 5.23, 56)

–2. Minkah Fitzpatrick, CB/S, Alabama (6-0, 201, 4.52, 29)

–3. Bradley Chubb, DE, NC State (6-3, 275, 4.84, 9)

–4. Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State (5-11, 229, 4.49, 26)

–5. Sam Darnold, QB, USC (6-3, 225, 4.74, 14)

http://draftscout.tsxfiles.com/2018/02/06/brugler-big-board-nelson-earns-no-1-spot/

big fan of Brugler, is well respected around NFL circles.

just looking at that current big board, there are a lot of OL and RB around his 25th best player.

as has been discussed already on TR, there is a fairly decent chance when we are on the clock the best player on JRob's board will be a RB or OL, question is does he take the best player or reach for a greater need at OLB/ILB.

16 hours ago, headhunter said:

Like i asked before whats the deal with Fitzpatrick?

This is hard to answer because there's a ton there. He's physical, he has great ball skills, he's been effective at both CB and S, he has a good football IQ, etc. He's probably the best defensive back that's played under Saban, even over last year's two All-Pro safeties (Clinton-Dix and Collins).

Is there something you don't like about him?

2 minutes ago, siamesedinasour said:

This is hard to answer because there's a ton there. He's physical, he has great ball skills, he's been effective at both CB and S, he has a good football IQ, etc. He's probably the best defensive back that's played under Saban, even over last year's two All-Pro safeties (Clinton-Dix and Collins).

Is there something you don't like about him?

I dont like him enough to see him being mocked to go #4 overall to the Browns. I dont know if hes that good. 

Tony Pauline has Davenport mocked to the Titans at 25 in his first post-Super Bowl mock and Brugler has him at 14:

http://draftanalyst.com/monday-musings-post-super-bowl-mock-draft

Says that there's a lot of buzz about him, especially from Raiders and Cowboys.

http://draftanalyst.com/senior-bowl-buzz-wednesday-night

He's got Davenport 24 overall right now.  He's also big on Gesicki, the TE from Penn State, although he doesn't have him ranked in his top 25 now.

http://draftanalyst.com/senior-bowl-risers-offense

Kyle021   
On 2/6/2018 at 8:27 PM, headhunter said:

Like i asked before whats the deal with Fitzpatrick?

Remember Jalen Ramsey coming out?

this guy actually likes contact, and is even better. 

If Ramsey can go top 5 this kid is going to 3

2 hours ago, Kyle021 said:

Remember Jalen Ramsey coming out?

this guy actually likes contact, and is even better. 

If Ramsey can go top 5 this kid is going to 3

I just dont see it. Top 3 is ridic for a safety. Hes gotta be around Sean Taylor talent. Ramsey is a shutdown CB is why he go picked that high

Here's something to mull over; Delanie Walker is 33, LaFleur had a lot of success with Matt Ryan when he utilised multiple option targets especially tight-ends. I think it is conceivable that we draft the top TE if he is still on the board at #25.

8 minutes ago, THE_TITAN said:

Here's something to mull over; Delanie Walker is 33, LaFleur had a lot of success with Matt Ryan when he utilised multiple option targets especially tight-ends. I think it is conceivable that we draft the top TE if he is still on the board at #25.

Theres really not one TE that is above the rest of the pack. After the first round should be better for a TE

Soxcat   
16 hours ago, headhunter said:

I just dont see it. Top 3 is ridic for a safety. Hes gotta be around Sean Taylor talent. Ramsey is a shutdown CB is why he go picked that high

The kid is good enough to play as a #1 CB, NB or FS.  Bama liked using him more as a FS or NB because they had guys that were decent on the outside.  Thus, you can use him to lock down a particular player or have him roam the middle of the field making plays. 

Remember when Ramsey came out there was some question if was better at FS or CB.  The Jags put him on the outside and that was the end of that.  IMO could be a similar scenario with this kid however he might be more of an Earl Thomas and have his best value in the middle of the field.  Is Earl Thomas worth a top 5 pick in hindsight?  Probably so.  He is arguably better than Adams (in coverage) or Hooker.  IMO those guys are getting more and more valuable when they have special instincts and ball skills.

Soxcat   
12 minutes ago, THE_TITAN said:

IMO to use a pick on a TE before the 4th round it would have to be someone significantly better (potentially) than Smith.  Just because Smith was underutilized and a rookie doesn't mean he can't play.  OJ Howard was off the charts with his combine and a first round pick and ended up with 26 catches on the year.  Smith played behind Walker and was used primarily as a blocker and had 18 catches.  I'm guessing if he can be utilized better and develop he can be pretty good and there is no reason to use an early draft pick on a guy unless they are really really special. 

But to get to the point of your post....  LaFleur has had success with Goff, not Ryan and the Ram's TEs are very little of the offense.  Higbee has 25 catches and Everett had 16.  They use three WRs much of the time, Kupp, Woods and Watson and their leading receiver was Gurley. 

Jonboy   
2 hours ago, THE_TITAN said:

Todd McShay mocked a TE to us in his most recent mock (Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota State). 

I don't personally see it happening, but there are so many directions we could go this year. Picking so late also makes it even harder to predict.

Soxcat   

No way we take a TE that early IMO.  The guy would have to be a future pro-bowl caliber TE to meet the criteria.  Smaller school prospects like that are an even bigger risk because you don't know how they will pan out against better competition.  Look for JRob to go TE later with someone like Smith IMO if we go TE at all.

If you look at some top 25 lists you see mostly defense along with QB and a few OL guys.  The talent looks strong for S, LB and Edge with a few DL (like Da’Ron Payne from Bama).  So, just looking at what might be the BPA there are actually three Bama players that make sense to me at 25.  Harrison, Evans and Payne.  Edge players don't look particularly strong that late in the first with the best ones probably already gone.

I'm still very intrigued by Evans and hope he lasts and is our pick.  Guy can do it all.  Support the run, cover, blitz and has experience on the edge if we want to use him that way.  Best football ahead of him.  Either way I see defense being the pick at 25 with the way this draft looks now.    We are only a few pieces away from this being a real solid top 10 defense.