Winning: Update on the Carrier jobs Trump saved from going to Mexico

Btowner

Remember when Trump and his toadie, Mike Pence rode into town to save the Carrier jobs? I think the state of Indiana even gave Carrier over $5 million in tax incentives to stay. Today, one of the Carrier employees wrote an article on his job status:

"One year ago, President Trump stood before me and thousands of other cheering workers at the Carrier plant in Indianapolis and told us that he was there to save our jobs. "

"Now, a year later, I’ve lost my job. As of July 20, 2017, I was laid off, due to Carrier’s parent company United Technologies Corporation deciding to send away my job along with more than 600 of my coworkers (which is more than half the employees) at the Indianapolis plant, plus another 700 workers at our sister plant in Huntington, Indiana, which was completely shut down! And President Trump? He tweeted in November that he was “making progress” with Carrier, but nothing came out of it. It turns out that he did nothing but make a bunch of empty promises."

"Today, I feel betrayed and deceived — as if President Trump used my pain, and the pain of working class America, simply to win political points. One thing I don’t think President Trump grasps is that when he promises something, there are real people out there whose lives can be upended if he fails to follow through. We at Carrier depended on him to deliver on those promises."

https://www.vox.com/first-person/2018/2/6/16976176/carrier-president-trump-layoffs

30 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

They can go find other jobs like anyone else that gets displaced.  https://www.indeed.com/q-manufacturing-l-Indianapolis,-IN-jobs.html

When I suggested those getting displaced from jobs that were being lost to automation or outsourcing find a way to reeducate or retrain before Trump was elected, I was ridiculed by some posters as not giving a shit about "fly over" country.  I wonder if the same will happen now?  (It's rhetorical)  

12 minutes ago, JakePA_Titan said:

Like the fact he was going to win the election

He was going to lose until Comey and Strzok reopened the Clinton investigation. 

12 minutes ago, JakePA_Titan said:

And that he was being wiretapped was bullshit, right?

He wasn't.

37 minutes ago, JakePA_Titan said:

The left says dont worry about border control because you cant stop em all.

But thinks Trump should be able to save EVERY job.

I guess he shouldnt try to save any jobs since he cant save them all....

Yea, that sounds like a plan the left could support.

If you cant be 100%, dont waste time. Thats the motto of the left.

Bullshit. No, a border wall is NOT going to stop  illegal immigration. Obama wanted to give them amnesty so that they could be vetted and become part of the system and therefor pay their fair share of taxes. Nobody wants felons here. Obama was deporting illegal felons before Trump ever stepped foot into the White House.

Furthermore Trump has lost thousands of jobs in the coal industry and the steel industry both of which he promised to bring back strong. In ain't happening and those people remember those hollow campaign promises.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-liar-carrier-layoffs_us_5a57e57ee4b0720dc4c59342

21 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

Most all those employees can find comparable work at a decent wage but they will probably end up taking a little less money and benefits.  They basically priced themselves out of their jobs.  Yea, it is great while it lasts for those folks.  I've worked for a number of plants that have closed down.  You just have to move on and do the best you can.  Part of modern life.

Well, I agree.  It sucks when people lose their jobs and I feel their plight, but jobs are going away and Trump or anyone else isn't going to save them.  It's just cheaper in countries in which the currency is low value or automation takes jobs.  The only thing to do is relocate, retrain, reeducate, or some combination of the three.  

I'm just saying I was ridiculed for saying just that before Trump was elected.  I don't recall you doing it.  I think you remained silent on the issue.  Others though?  Feigned outrage.  

6 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

Those coal jobs are mainly being lost to environmental issues.  You know that right?  Our only hope of building back the manufacturing base is to do what it takes to be competitive world wide.  Except for higher technology manufacturing there is strong world wide competition.  Some of it, like the clothing and shoe industries, may be impossible to get back.  As far as steel we see massive foreign competition from subsidized competitors like China.  Point being nobody can make changes to "bring back strong" those industries in such a short time.  Obama did nothing in 8 years.

Until labor costs in some of these other countries go for from $1-5/hour USD to something more in line with our cost of living, those jobs aren't coming back.  I'm actually a proponent of lower corporate taxes, but that is to make it easier for smaller companies and start ups to compete here.  Larger corps that can afford to outsource will save big time on labor costs alone.  We couldn't untax or unregulate enough to offset the labor rate gap.    

Now if we're talking about taxing corps that outsource at a higher rate.....well, that is something to talk about.   I'll be okay lowering corporate taxes here, and I'm quite okay with taxing corporations for outsourcing as an offset to the lost tax revenue here.  

3 hours ago, reo said:

He was going to lose until Comey and Strzok reopened the Clinton investigation.

Well duh, then don't have people who work for you store (stolen) copies of your classified emails on a computer owned by a pedophile.

Silly rabbit.

Archived