What we witnessed tonight is a HUGE chip for the "offensive system is very important" crowd

Face

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pederson has done a phenomenal job. 

His pocket movement is the difference and what Mariota wouldn't be able to do as of now.  Maybe Mariota will get there, but he's not there yet as far as how he manipulates the pocket.  Brady numerous

It's also worth noting what was said about Foles struggles late in the season and how the coaches addressed it:      After Foles put up a couple stinkers in the final two games, Pederson and

I didn't see Brady make a play tonight that Marcus wouldn't have made. He was throwing to wide-open receivers underneath and, oh yeah, Marcus would have caught that pass. I don't remember Brady having to throw very much, if at all, into any tight windows. Pats receivers just lope down the field to a hole in the defense and Brady practically lobs it to them.

Just now, Huston said:

Its the speed that Brady gets the passes out to the open guy that's special.

I hear that but isn't the fact that guys are so wide open make decision-making easier? Plus, the first option seems always to be there. I'm not really here to knock Brady. He's fantastic but there is more to it than that. The system he plays in makes him better than he probably is. Honestly, did Brady do anything that Marcus couldn't have done tonight?

1 minute ago, scine09 said:

His pocket movement is the difference and what Mariota wouldn't be able to do as of now.  Maybe Mariota will get there, but he's not there yet as far as how he manipulates the pocket.  Brady numerous times tonight made subtle moves in the pocket to avoid rushes and find the open guy.  Mariota doesn't do that.  A lot of it with Brady is experience but I don't think the old coaches even worked with Mariota, or at least worked enough with him on his pocket manipulation skills.  Hopefully that'll change with some competent coaching.

No doubt a 17-year (?) veteran has a better feel for that stuff, but there was not much push on the pocket tonight and Graham's sack late was the first one by the Philly defense. I mean, Brady threw for over 500 yards! The biggest difference to me is Brady throwing to guys who are WIDE OPEN.

Just now, charleytolar said:

No doubt a 17-year (?) veteran has a better feel for that stuff, but there was not much push on the pocket tonight and Graham's sack late was the first one by the Philly defense. I mean, Brady threw for over 500 yards! The biggest difference to me is Brady throwing to guys who are WIDE OPEN.

It's not just Brady, we see that all over the league.  I think it'll be different next year with the wide open receivers for Mariota.

But Brady is able to do things in the pocket to buy time that Mariota can't do yet.