Gimme a perfect album

Supernope

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cat Stevens: Tea for the Tillerman Elton John: Tumbleweed Connection Joni Mitchell: Blue Carole King: Tapestry James Taylor: Sweet Baby James   God, I miss good music! 

Appetite for Destruction The Wall

Posted Images

I'll start.   Ritual de lo Habitual was Jane's Addiction's second studio album, just 9 songs, but a tour de force of wailing, semi pretentious lyrics, delay pedals, and Dave Navarro's heroin fueled riffs.

Stop! is the quintessential Jane's song.  It did everything The Mountain Song did, but better.  Corny intro, speed metal, sudden downtempo, insane vocals.  Three Days is a lengthy and impressive ode to Perry Farrell's late girlfriend, whom he lost from .. wait for it .. an overdose.  Been Caught Stealing, an unabashed celebration of shoplifting, was Jane's biggest hit and rarely matched in its vocal exuberance.

As the song ends and Farrell enthusiastically screeches about his stolen loot, "We sat around the PILE / We sat and laughed! / We sat and laughed and waved it into the AIR!" you will believe him, and probably join him in the chorus.

220px-Jane's_Addiction-Ritual_de_lo_Habitual.jpg

National High Violet is pretty good, but not sure it’s quite good enough beginning to end. 

I’d say The Strokes - Is This It has to be one of the most complete albums out there. If you care for the genre, it’s excellent beginning to end.

Also, Nick Drake - Pink Moon. This benefits from basically being put together quickly (two nights, I think?). Very consistent, sweet melancholy with great technical ability and great melodies. 

Andrew Bird - Break it Yourself and Michael Kiwanuka - Home Again are also up there, but maybe a track or two short of being quite there as albums.

Edited by Cyrus

If you crave bare-chested B-movie horror punk with some of the muddiest production values ever heard, Misfits Collection 1 is going to check all your boxes.  Maybe you want to listen to a full length song but you've barely got a minute to spare?  Again Collection 1 has you covered.

Glenn Danzig's powerful voice croons like an Elvis from hell, dishing out plenty of 50s "ooohs" and "whoas" between campy lyrics about vampires, Martians, murders, and zombies.

220px-Misfits_-_Misfits_(Collection_I)_cover.jpg

Super Tramp --> Crime of the Century

Bob Welch --> French Kiss

Styx --> The Grand Illusion

Genesis --> And then there were three

Rush --> Hemispheres

Outlaws --> Ghost Riders

Sweet --> Desolation Boulevard

Manfred Mann's Earth Band --> The Roaring Silence

Edited by Tex in a Can

1 hour ago, Tex in a Can said:

Rush --> Hemispheres

3 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

First Rush album was nice as well and saw them open for Kiss in concert many years ago.  No doubt who was the best group that night.

Lots of good choices already in this thread, from various bands.  Can't forget this one either, the album that set the tone for rock bands to no longer take any shit from the record companies.  They were gonna do it their way, or go down the tubes trying...

2112-cover.jpg

6 minutes ago, Tex in a Can said:

Here's what the fans think of the "music establishment" wait until the end....HBO edited the applause from their broadcast but we have youtube!   

I actually felt a little bad for Heart that night.  They made some good music in their day, but everyone there got drowned out by Rush finally getting into the RnRHoF.  Kinda wish Heart would have gotten in at another time. lol