AussieTitanFan08

Broncos close to a deal for Kirk Cousins?

a bit skeptical about this given the source, but Colin Cowherd is apparently reporting the Broncos are close to agreeing a deal with Kirk Cousins, this would require a sign and trade with the Redskins.

the Redskins know they will get a 2019 3rd round compensation pick if Cousins leaves in FA, there is nothing stopping any team offering the Redskins a better deal on the condition Cousins signs a long term deal as part of the trade.

Isn't Cousins an unrestricted FA

Couldn't Denver just wait?

Why would Cousins want to do this, knowing whatever team he could sign-and-trade to, would be weakened by giving up a 2nd round or higher pick?  Wouldn't he just wait on FA?

Just now, MidTNTitansFan said:

Isn't Cousins an unrestricted FA

Couldn't Denver just wait?

Why would Cousins want to do this, knowing whatever team he could sign-and-trade to, would be weakened by giving up a 2nd round or higher pick?  Wouldn't he just wait on FA?

of course the Broncos can wait, but maybe they fear they can't compete if a bidding war ensues.

like I said in the opening post, i'm a bit skeptical of this report given its source.

This makes no sense to me unless they tag and trade. 

Trades can’t be officially consumated until the beginning of the league year I thought, at which exact point he becomes an UFA. 

Just now, tgo said:

This makes no sense to me unless they tag and trade. 

Trades can’t be officially consumated until the beginning of the league year I thought, at which exact point he becomes an UFA. 

doesn't have to be a tag and trade, can be a sign and trade, would be totally dependent on Cousins being satisfied with the contract and destination.

the only benefit for any team going down this route, is if they feel like the price tag will become significantly higher salary wise if Cousins actually hits the market as a true FA.

Just now, socaltitan said:

Elway has struggled drafting QB. If I'm a Broncos fan, I'd definitely want Cousins. There's still enough talent there they can turn it around if they can get QB right.

Yup, if I am a Denver fan I would much rather go with Cousins and still have a top 5 draft pick to secure the offensive line needed. If the money all works out. I heard they may need to get rid of both Talib and a WR either DT or Sanders to get it done.

Gonna wait on this one til I see a reputable source but the Broncos are the best fit. Wonder how the Chiefs are gonna feel when Cousins has the Broncos in first place based on a move they enabled? 

the Broncos have some additional draft pick ammunition this year.

they have an additional 3rd round compensation pick, also additional 4th/5th round picks.

so trading their own 3rd round pick to the Redskins to ensure they got Cousins wouldn't be a crazy move.

guess its just all rumors/speculation right now, but given the events of yesterday, I wouldn't be at all shocked if this went down in coming days.

18 minutes ago, socaltitan said:

Elway has struggled drafting QB. If I'm a Broncos fan, I'd definitely want Cousins. There's still enough talent there they can turn it around if they can get QB right.

True but that roster isn't not good from top to bottom and Elway's hasn't draft as well as he has signed free agents. Most of his best picks are guys who dropped because of off field concerns lol. He is definitely feeling the heat and don't think he has the balls to draft a first round QB again. Cousins would be leaving to go to a worse team then he left with no Cap room to make a lot of moves.

Edited by Huston

This is crazy!  So does FA start now?  We all knew these deals get started before FA period starts, but I have never seen teams so open about trades in January.