Episode 156 - Titans Roller Coaster Season Ends With A Coaching Change

Jonboy

49 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

Succop is totally overrated.

He finished 16/20 on kicks 40-49 yards which is pretty bad. He only made 93.9% of his XPs which is also bad. He made 2/5 kicks >50 yards which is bad too.

He's not good past 50, to the point they often don't even try, and he had a pretty bad stretch on 40+ this year. He only hit 83% of kicks overall. It was a down year compared to what we've come to expect and it just makes me nervous. If nothing else, I don't think most people are aware of it.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If I'm assigning blame, I think the passing game was maybe 20% Mariota and 80% Mularkey. Really hard to listen to @OILERMAN blame Mariota for the offensive production.   I could go through a

Romo said "throw the ball" on a play where you have an alert to a one on one matchup on a vertical route. You know - those plays that the Titans have had zero success doing. Who knows how he was being

lol Jamal on DLB "he has a year to year contract with death"   great 1.5hr podcast to wrap up an interesting season.   thanks to each of you for putting this out each week during t

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

Brilliant.  Guy sets the all time NFL record for kicks in a row of 50 or less and then has 4 misses and is overrated. 

You are proving my point. He is not actually one of the best kickers of all time despite holding that record. 

9 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

Crap, if he can't be close to 100% from inside the 50 he needs to go. 

If he only hits 80% of kicks from 40-49 and 40% from 50 and up... both of which are his conversion rates this year... then it's absolutely an upgrade opportunity.

If he can hit a better percent in the 40's... as he did for a few years... then he's fine.

Q: Which is he going to do?

A: We don't know.

The reality is that his previous years were great and it extended long enough that the record was set this year. But this year, by itself, was not good.

Predicting the future is hard, but most people aren't even cognizant of the present ... so I brought it up. He's a question mark. Hopefully that question gets answered in a positive way, but a bad answer is possible.

Interesting point you all had about Mularkeys silence since being fired. Tells me two things:

It was a bad breakup.

Mularkey is acting like a baby.

He did some good things, he's not a wusenhunt but his behavior in front of the media the past few weeks has been showing his true colors. Good riddance.

I think the most aggravating part for most posters was @OILERMAN blaming everything on QB play.  Yeah there was bad play from that position.  There was also horrible play calling and stubbornness and 18 weeks of excuses from the coaching staff.  Mularkey is what he is a turn around guy for bad franchises nothing more.  That being said, I think he would have been a good coach for Bud Adams and been rewarded with a semi lifelong contract like Jeff Fisher.  Standards shouldn’t be what would Bud have done!  

I would be inclined to be more sympathetic to Oman's view that it is mostly the QB if it weren't for the fact that Mularkey has followed this exact same pattern at every spot.  One year uptick in production followed by a precipitous drop-off.  

I do think Mariota's inconsistency is still an issue and I think he certainly has some things to work on to get back on track next season but there was only a two-game stretch this year where I felt like Mariota was just playing flat bad.  The coaching staff, on both sides of the ball, needed to answer a lot of questions this year and they failed to do so.  They didn't deserve an extension and I'm glad that AAS and Jrob had the balls to take a risk and move on. 

Living in Texas, I understood Oilerman's use of the word can't. Mariota can't pass. Marioata can't run. Marioata can't escape in the pocket. Pretty sure he is using a different meaning of "can't" , it does not mean "not at all", it's just a stronger form of "doesn't".

Example

Charley Casserly can't assemble an offensive line if his life depended on it.

Edited by Tex in a Can

1 hour ago, Cyrus said:

The blame for Mariota is insane. He does so many good things and is overall very advanced for a quarterback his age

Actually considering the year he just had I think he gets basically a complete pass. Blame is insane? Wolfe was the first guy I heard the other day talk about Mariota being bad on his own regardless of the offense. 90% of the media out there just assumes the offense is making Mariota play bad, that's just a joke. 

As for his age, he's entering year 4, he should be playing great by now. He struggles to make basic drop backs and release the ball with anticipation, forget about missing throws. Most of his struggles come before he even throws. 

Having said all that he's got real excuses. The running game was terrible from base sets, Decker played X the first half of the season and both rookie WRs struggled to adapt to the pro game. He also came back from a brutal leg injury and from all other QB accounts that takes a good year to mentally recover from. This is why I haven't been more harsh. 

We're not talking about a Jake Locker situation, the only similarities might be your endless defense of both of them. Mariota can play at a high level, Locker/VY couldn't. He just has to put it together and be consistent.