Two Tone Crew Episode 9 - Special Edition with John McClain

TitansGuru

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On this special edition of the Two Tone Crew we speak with legendary NFL writer John McClain of the Houston Chronicle. While this will be a part of the regular broadcast that will be posted later in t

McClain is a wind up and go type guest and we handled him in the exact same way that guys way more experienced in radio have. I enjoy it. You(Merc) may not. As a goodwill gesture, I offer you double y

Great job Guru and Jamal, I really enjoyed hearing McClain's take, and I thought you all handled it well.

Excellent job, guys. Very impressive that you were able to get him on here. I've been listening to him and reading him in the Chronicle for 25 years.

The only thing is, isn't it about time for Nashville to get it's own John McClain? He's as knowledgeable as they come, but the team left Houston 15 years ago. Who's considered the best NFL writer in Nashville?

Probably Wyatt at this point. McClain just combines it with a top notch ability to tell stories and is a great radio guy.

I'm in disbelief that he offered to help get Munchak to talk to you guys. That would be unreal. I'm sure you'd get nothing but coachspeak, but still.......

I wonder if he could help get Reinfeldt to come on to talk about the draft one day.?

Lets assume McClain actually had the inside scoop on Babin and was dead on.

Gray wanted the DE's to play in tighter and stop the run? Well that's failed miserably, the Titans DEs are terrible against the run and even worse rushing the passer. Jason Jones is worse against the run than Babin is.

Worse than that after the season the Titans have one DE under contract, Morgan who has been a flop so far. It's a weak year in the draft and free agency for DEs. They could use Babin even more next season than this season.

I like Gray but if they don't upgrade the DE position this defense is not going anywhere.

And you don't upgrade DE by resigning known talent that doesn't really fit what you want to do. It's simply a case of working guys into a system over time, and who you resign and target must reflect this otherwise it won't get done, obviously. Half of the break outs and "omg where did they find this guy" cases in the NFL are players being put into the right spot - Babin included.

It's just a matter of doing it again. When we signed Babin, no one expected him to fit so well with what Washburn wanted, so to comment on the strength of free agency and draft classes (the latter of which is absurd - weak according to who? guys that get this stuff wrong every year? cool!) as some sort of deterrent is contradictory and plain silly.

And for that matter, to act scared and resign players you know don't fit well because you're afraid you won't find perfect replacements is a weak way to go about things. You just gotta roll the dice and let your scouting and front office find you what you need - if you fail, so be it, but at least you tried.

Probably Wyatt at this point. McClain just combines it with a top notch ability to tell stories and is a great radio guy.

If Wyatt is the "best" Nashville's got then I'd just assume not count it as a competition for "who's best" but rather a competition for "who's least retarded". And Wyatt would probably win on a technicality.

Jamal was joking obviously. Considering McClain goes on their show occasionally, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't hear it from him.

Being completely honest, I think the thought that DPOY of the year coming down to the last week is actually a somewhat common opinion with journalists.

He posed the question...I think it's a good one. Good enough to where I think it may make an interesting thread.

My brother sat beside Greg Bingham on an airplane once and Greg told hm Pastorini was the toughest SOB he ever played with. The pain the guy played through was incredible.