Total speculation on my part, but I get the feeling that JRob wants McDaniels & AAS wants to stay put

Face

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Says who? Because they barely made the playoffs and went 18-14 with an all time easy schedule the past 2 years? The Titans have under performed under Mularkey and the franchise QB looks like a shell o

Ive noticed that every report, and granted there hasn't been many, about Mularkey being fired mentioned to look for McDaniels here. And some of them were from pretty reputable guys.   First,

the way Mike Keith was talking in yesterdays Titans Radio playoff special there is certainly going to be a "live" review of Mularkey's position when the season ends.   also suggested JRob is

I think you’re likely not too far off. 

Underwood and Strunk likely share the same opinion on the matter. 

I read the McDaniels is more likely to take a job this year than previous years, so it’s either now or never on him. 

I’m not sure that he’ll be as amazing of a HC as some think though. 

Edited by tgo

While on the topic of rampant speculation, I also think Robiskie was a much bigger problem then given credit for. Everybody assumed all these players complaints were about Mularkey but I think they were about Terry. I don't buy at all that he was some puppet running MM's offense. He said when hired he can't wait to draw up plays, he calls the plays, and he's said Mularkey has called him into his office routinely.

A lot of what we see with the max protect, all the vertical stuff, that's Robiskie. He came up under Al Davis & later Norv Turner. A lot of this stuff he's calling is early 90's era, deep drop back, vertical football. Mularkey never ran an offense like this. In fact, he was known to creatively work around what he had.

If he comes back I fully expect a bigger name OC. I don't buy this notion in the least that he's some idealogue who insists on running this exact offense & will only consider guys he's had before. He's in his mid to late 50's & he's the HC of a talented team with a ton of cap room & franchise QB. It's about much more than offensive system now, he needs to take a macro approach here & hire the best people & delegate. I expect him to hire a guy like Mike McCoy or Scott Linehan (if Garrett is fired). Maybe Jim Caldwell? I don't know exactly, but it won't be some no name stooge who worked for him. He understands the stakes now.

I can actually see Jason Michael though. I know many aren't happy with him but behind the scenes he's very well regarded. Whitehurst said he & Rivers thought he was an offensive genius. I would think we'd see something in btwn this & what Wiz did, but closer to Wiz.

9 minutes ago, tgo said:

I think you’re likely not too far off. 

Underwood and Strunk likely share the same opinion on the matter. 

I read the McDaniels is more likely to take a job this year than previous years, so it’s either now or never on him. 

I’m not sure that he’ll be as amazing of a HC as some think though. 

Like I said, I think we blew our chance in 2016. I wonder how he'd view Indy though? With Luck a big question mark & a crazy owner it may not be very appealing. But Chicago has a very talented D & OL, with a solid looking young QB, great history & city.

10 minutes ago, Face said:

Ive noticed that every report, and granted there hasn't been many, about Mularkey being fired mentioned to look for McDaniels here. And some of them were from pretty reputable guys.

Rapport coming out first and citing a source is a big give away.  Ian was one of the more connected Pats beat writers before he went national.  Would not be surprised if his source was JRob.  

8 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

the way Mike Keith was talking in yesterdays Titans Radio playoff special there is certainly going to be a "live" review of Mularkey's position when the season ends.

also suggested JRob is going to have a significant say in that review.

I got the sense from that radio play that Mularkey is safe.

5 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

Mariota’s sheen is starting to come off too. 

If we go another year and Mariota stuggles then it becomes a reclamation project. 

It’s already a reclaimation project. 

Granted, it’s a 42,000 sq foot palace in Malibu but the tenants turned it into a homeless octogenarian orgy and scrubbing the dried shit and body fluids off the marble facade will a gross but easy task. 

5 minutes ago, Face said:

While on the topic of rampant speculation, I also think Robiskie was a much bigger problem then given credit for. Everybody assumed all these players complaints were about Mularkey but I think they were about Terry. I don't buy at all that he was some puppet running MM's offense. He said when hired he can't wait to draw up plays, he calls the plays, and he's said Mularkey has called him into his office routinely.

A lot of what we see with the max protect, all the vertical stuff, that's Robiskie. He came up under Al Davis & later Norv Turner. A lot of this stuff he's calling is early 90's era, deep drop back, vertical football. Mularkey never ran an offense like this. In fact, he was known to creatively work around what he had.

If he comes back I fully expect a bigger name OC. I don't buy this notion in the least that he's some idealogue who insists on running this exact offense & will only consider guys he's had before. He's in his mid to late 50's & he's the HC of a talented team with a ton of cap room & franchise QB. It's about much more than offensive system now, he needs to take a macro approach here & hire the best people & delegate. I expect him to hire a guy like Mike McCoy or Scott Linehan (if Garrett is fired). Maybe Jim Caldwell? I don't know exactly, but it won't be some no name stooge who worked for him. He understands the stakes now.

I can actually see Jason Michael though. I know many aren't happy with him but behind the scenes he's very well regarded. Whitehurst said he & Rivers thought he was an offensive genius. I would think we'd see something in btwn this & what Wiz did, but closer to Wiz.

Nah...this is Mularkey’s offense. Do you actually think that Mularkey is going to let someone else screw up his last coaching opportunity in something that he is well versed in. Nah...it’s Mularkey. 

Just now, JDot said:

Rapport coming out first and citing a source is a big give away.  Ian was one of the more connected Pats beat writers before he went national.  Would not be surprised if his source was JRob.  

I've been convinced of this since 2016. If you take ownership at their word, they never forced Mularkey on any of the GM candidates, they just wanted him to be considered. I think that's bullshit but I also think JRob thought the allure of McDaniels would get Amy to fold & he underestimated how strong she felt about him. He knows this is his last chance.

4 minutes ago, titanruss said:

It’s already a reclaimation project. 

Granted, it’s a 42,000 sq foot palace in Malibu but the tenants turned it into a homeless octogenarian orgy and scrubbing the dried shit and body fluids off the marble facade will a gross but easy task. 

That was oddly specific.

More than anything, I think the entire front office and ownership group should know that Mularkey is and always was a bridge coach. Does anyone really imagine him being "the" coach for the next decade? He was a stabilizing force at the time - someone to steady the ship and give the team some continuity. I would be surprised if anyone really thought he was the long-term solution.

Based on how the team and offense has struggled - it's possible they'll look for the long-term head coach this year, even though the Titans are in the playoffs.

@Face the OP is spot on and nearly identical to my view on the subject. I think the win last week put a huge wrench in Jrob's plans. He has to be careful not to alienate himself with AAS as we all know she has a soft spot for Mularkey. Its the only explanation for giving him the job after going 2-7.