They were winning in spite of Mariota

OILERMAN

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Look, Mariota has done some horrible things this year. I'm certainly not going to excuse some of the throws he's made. But I'm sorry, I refuse to believe this staff isn't at least partially responsibl

I think Mularkey was the wrong choice to develop Mariota.

Here's what I've noticed:   1. When Mariota is throwing to Delanie, he's incredibly accurate, looks confident, and takes bold chances. Even on the final drive, he looked like a different QB

Posted Images

its clear that Robiskie would have been canned a long time ago if it wasn’t for the record. Mularkey fires his special teams coach last year and didn’t hesitate. You have never seen a OC fired mid season when the team was doing good. 

Winning in spite is not entirely acurate because he has been key in some game winning or sealing drives.

Although his play may have lead to why they needed that effort to win in the first place.

It won't happen but they could still trade him to a team and system more fit for purpose, and get a good return. 

2 minutes ago, cenj said:

Here's what I've noticed:

1. When Mariota is throwing to Delanie, he's incredibly accurate, looks confident, and takes bold chances. 

2. When he's throwing to anyone else, he looks skittish and distrustful and can't hit anyone in stride.

Some other notes...

- Mularkey hates all WRs, every team he's ever coaches. Rookies look like idiots, veterans are still running the wrong routes. 

- a ton of ints have been on miscommunication errors.

- We run max protect, 2 receiver routes more than anyone in the NFL. We were even doing this on the last couple drives.

- we're "protecting" our QB by drafting OL high, then running him like a RB. He's been injured every season in the NFL.

Mariota has clearly regressed, but I put the majority of blame on the coaching staff. He obviously doesn't trust the plays and doesn't trust the protection, and I don't blame him. We have a simplistic offensive passing game with minimal options, yet a high probability of error.

The offense is a joke and if they can't get more out of Mariota, then it's time to start looking into other options. The argument for continuity ("look at KC and Alex Smith") is a dead. Give me someone who will develop and build around our QB.

This is a good post. Someone needs to clue me in on why guys like Matthews who are 2 years into this system are running wrong routes. And this stuff is happening almost every series!  WTF kind of offense is this?

Edited by japan

For the sake of Mariota's career they need to make a change at HC.  He needs a spark.  I don't care if they go 11-5 or 8-8 (although we all know if they go 10-6 or 11-5 there's not going to be a change).  His career needs to hit reset.  I almost think he did better in Whisenhunt's system as bad as it was with the lack of protection.

Just now, scine09 said:

For the sake of Mariota's career they need to make a change at HC.  He needs a spark.  I don't care if they go 11-5 or 8-8 (although we all know if they go 10-6 or 11-5 there's not going to be a change).  His career needs to hit reset.  I almost think he did better in Whisenhunt's system as bad as it was with the lack of protection.

I can guarantee you that if JRob had the power he would be looking to make a move...

I remember back in the days, in the thick or the Mett vs Mariota melee, I said that despite being on the Mett side, that if we drafted Mariota I'd stay on the bandwagon longer than most of the people slobbering over him. I was right and some of y'all need to relax. He's having a bad year. None us know why, he probably doesn't even know why but it doesn't in any way mean he sucks. I'm not happy about all of this either but the guy deserves some time to work through this stuff. Some of y'all just wanna be here for the good times.

2 minutes ago, scine09 said:

Rivers is loving the Whiz system. Chargers offense is fun to watch and their talent af receiver outside of Allen is no better than ours. I’m really hoping Chargers overtake the Chiefs for the division and make the playoffs because I think their offense and aggressive secondary is the only team in the AFC that can compete with the Pats. Not only can they score for score their secondary is great at defending the quick passing game.