"8-4 A Mirage" (more media hate)

Jamalisms

The main gist:

... no team has a worse point differential in losses than the Titans do this season, losing by 20.5 points per defeat. They are winning games by 8.3 points, on average. If you adjust their margin of victory for strength of schedule, the Titans are the ninth-best team in the AFC, scoring 3.5 points per game less than an average team, worse than the 4-8 Houston Texans (minus-0.9) and the 5-7 New York Jets (minus-3.2).

As a result, the 2017 Titans’ point differential indicates they are more commensurate with teams holding a 6-6 record, two fewer wins than Tennessee currently has. Football Outsiders estimates the team should have just five wins as the 11th-worst team in the NFL per their Defense-adjusted Value Over Average metric, which measures a team’s efficiency by comparing success on every single play with a league average based on situation and opponent.

One of the most reliable indicators for separating the title contenders and pretenders is by looking at passer rating differential — the difference between a team’s passer rating and the collective rating of the team’s opposing quarterbacks. Its correlation to success led football stathead Kerry Byrne to dub it the “Mother of All Stats” during the 2012 Pro Football Researchers Association biennial meeting hosted by NFL Films. Since 2002, 22 of the past 30 Super Bowl participants had a passer rating differential among the top five in the league, including 10 of the past 15 winners. The Titans’ net passer rating differential is minus-10.4, 21st in 2017, on par with teams that make the playoffs just 5.4 percent of the time over the past 15 seasons, or one out of every 19 occurrences.

If Tennessee is to get into the black in terms of point differential or net passer rating, a couple of things need to improve quickly, starting with their ability to sustain drives. The Titans are forced to go three-and-out 40.7 percent of the time. Only the Colts, Giants and Chicago Bears, teams with a combined 8-28 record in 2017, are worse. The Titans also turn the ball over too much (13.1 percent, 26th in the NFL) leading to the second-lowest plays per drive this season (5.0).

A few reactions:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

8-4 is definitely a mirage...we should actually be 9-3. 

Hears to more such threads as this...   9-4 A Mirage 10-4 A Mirage 11-4 A Mirage 12-4 A Mirage Most likely to lose in the Wild card Lucky to be in Divisional Ex

I think we all agree that they've been underwhelming in the wins.   However, if they win the division or get a wild card do you know what would happen if they fired Mularkey?  The national m

4 minutes ago, tgo said:

Some people need to learn that there is more to football than statistics. 

The coaching change stuff is laughable. 

I agree.  You can't make a change if the Titans make the playoffs.  And the stats are overhyped.  Quite frankly I'm getting sick and tired of all these metrics.  They mean next to nothing.  I couldn't care less that FPI thinks the Titans are not as good as their record indicates.  I miss having more of an emphasis on actual analysis rather than these stupid formulas.  But it cut costs because ESPN doesn't have to pay these analysts anymore.

At the same time I don't think many of us would be all that upset if they decided to part ways with Mularkey regardless of how the rest of the season plays out (of course unless they do something like get to the AFC Championship game or Super Bowl) with the reason that they feel they can be better offensively. 

Edited by scine09