Oiler FANatic

Yet another historic game for James Harden

The Giannis vs Harden MVP race is interesting. I think it’s a toss up.

Harden is putting up ridiculous numbers. Rockets have had injury struggles. He has basically carried them to a top 3 seed in the West. 

Giannis has solid numbers and is the catalyst for the best record in the NBA. They’ve had some injuries too. 

I dont agree with the swap the players idea because they are two completely different teams and players. Who knows who would be better or worse. 

Would the Bucks still have the best record if they were in the West? I don’t think so. That’s why I’m not loving the argument for Giannis being the guy for the best record team. 

Harden goes out and takes over a game. His team doesn’t really matter. Giannis has shown he is capable of doing the same but plays a much better team game. Not sure how the voters view the players style when compared to eachother. 

I really don’t know who you give it to at this point. 

kgsTitan   
6 hours ago, wiscotitansfan said:

But tell me again how him scoring points is the only thing that matters to an MVP

He's tied for the league lead in steals, and near the top in assists, too. 

But the media is bored with him, he's never been well-liked by fans, and the team has had a fairly drastic drop in W-L record from last year. So, I fully expect Giannis to be MVP.

Edited by kgsTitan

1 hour ago, kgsTitan said:

He's tied for the league lead in steals, and near the top in assists, too. 

But the media is bored with him, he's never been well-liked by fans, and the team has had a fairly drastic drop in W-L record from last year. So, I fully expect Giannis to be MVP.

Im not saying he's a liability defensively...  Oiler has been whining for years how Harden should be the unanimous annual MVP over Westbrook because the team's record but now that it's not the case the only thing that matters to him is individual statistics?

On 3/23/2019 at 7:42 PM, wiscotitansfan said:

Im not saying he's a liability defensively...  Oiler has been whining for years how Harden should be the unanimous annual MVP over Westbrook because the team's record but now that it's not the case the only thing that matters to him is individual statistics?

I'm just sick of the double-standard that cost him one MVP, either when he came in second place against Curry or Westbrick.

If they're going to give it to the player on the best team, then Giannis will win it just like Curry did 4 years ago for his first MVP.

But then they did a total 180 two years ago and gave it to Russ, only to make up for not giving it to Oscar Robertson back in 1962.

So which is it? If they do the usual thing, like most years, Giannis will win the MVP because his team has the best record in the NBA.

But if you don't ignore the fact that James Harden is having one of the greatest seasons in the 70-year history of the NBA, then he's the MVP.

On 3/23/2019 at 12:34 PM, wiscotitansfan said:

You swap Harden and Giannis and bucks get much worse while the the Rockets likely get better....

Along with him being the catalyst for the best team in the NBA

But tell me again how him scoring points is the only thing that matters to an MVP

The Bucks would get much worse if they traded Giannis for Harden? That is some total homer bullshit, and you know it! :lolabove:

Want to make a $20 board bet about MVP? I have absolutely no doubt that Giannis will win by about 20 votes even

If you're worried, we can just make a donation for the amount of votes differential, each vote is $1

On 4/8/2019 at 12:31 AM, wiscotitansfan said:

Want to make a $20 board bet about MVP? I have absolutely no doubt that Giannis will win by about 20 votes even

If you're worried, we can just make a donation for the amount of votes differential, each vote is $1

Giannis doesnt deserve it over Harden. 

That doesn't mean he wont win it. 

It makes me sick ppl put so much stock into the teams record. 

10 hours ago, JakePA_Titan said:

Giannis doesnt deserve it over Harden. 

That doesn't mean he wont win it. 

It makes me sick ppl put so much stock into the teams record. 

Being possibly the best all-around player in the league on the best records in the NBA helps...  a lot. (whether that's deserving or not)

Harden isn't terrible on defense but he sure is not in the same stratosphere of being a complete player to the upper echelon of the league. He's having a historically dominant year individually but Oiler has been bitching for years how little that should mean.

Edited by wiscotitansfan

2 hours ago, wiscotitansfan said:

Being possibly the best all-around player in the league on the best records in the NBA helps...  a lot. (whether that's deserving or not)

Sure. But there were players who were that and didnt get it so it's not the end all be all. Although for some it is because it's the easy way out. 

Harden isn't terrible on defense but he sure is not in the same stratosphere of being a complete player to the upper echelon of the league. He's having a historically dominant year individually but Oiler has been bitching for years how little that should mean.

Believe me, none of OFs views are going to have much impact on persuading my thinking. Idk if that was your attempt or not but I hope you would already know better than that if so Haha. I believe he only said that when it was Westrbook winning the MVP because of his bias anyway and not that it is his direct line of thinking on the matter but I'm not 100%. 

Anyway, I agree Hardens lack of D prevents him from being seen as being on the same level overall as a Giannis or KD, and I agree in order to be considered a GOAT, or to be a great winner, defense is key. 

But defense isnt overly important in the reg season in terms of winning or even winning the MVP. We have seen that time and time again. 

Without Harden HOU is undoubtedly, imo, not in the playoffs this year. I cant say the same for MIL.

8th seed in the west is 47 or 48 wins. HOU has 53. They dont win 47 without Harden. 

8th seed in the east is 41 or 42 wins. MIL has 60. They win 42 without Giannis. 

HOU might not even win 42 without Harden. They might honestly not have been a Eastern conference playoff team without Harden. 

Again, that isnt the end all be all either, but their numbers are both deserving of the award. So for me, it comes down to what would that team be without each guy more than it is, what is each teams overall record. 

Edited by JakePA_Titan

20 minutes ago, CaliTitan3518 said:

Is Giannis going to get MVP and Defensive MVP? 

I could see it happening, I'm more positive of him winning MVP than defensive player of the year though. I'd be a little surprised too if Budenholzer doesn't win coach of the year because he is a catalyst for the record and a lot of the offensive success in the paint of Giannis.

Edited by wiscotitansfan

George should get DPOY. He leads the league in steals and deflections and is rated much higher than Giannis in terms of team defensive scoring when on the court. 

Giannis is 70th in opponents points per 100 possessions. PG ranks 27th. 

Giannis should get snubbed but I dont think it will happen. He is a stand up guy and had a great season. He doesnt cheat the game like some bearded folks... I also think the NBA would love to transition from LBJ to Giannis as far as face of the league goes. MVP honors would go a long way with that. I wouldnt be surprised if they (the NBA) had a influence on some voters.