Kevin Byard may be a top 5 S

kyle021

1 minute ago, japan said:

Let's be honest.  Who are the good QBs that we play on this schedule for him to impress?  Carr? Watson (who he picked?) Ben? Not a lot of good QB's on this schedule.  All he can do is play the QB's in front of him.

This is why I don't like the idea of interpreting stats.  You end up manipulating the stats to support your preconceived bias and notions and either you don't fully explore or you just ignore the evidence that contradicts the reality that you want to project.

Byard has played well./end thread

Seriously... that simple.  

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I bet if you went back and looked at Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu's INT's, you would be surprised how many of them were tipped passes or against inferior teams.

Check out @brettkern6’s Tweet:  

Lmfao it is hilarious how consistently wrong about everything Jake is.

Posted Images

I remember reading that half of JJ Watt's career sacks have come against the Titans and the Jags (almost entirely when both teams were beyond terrible). I don't think that means he's not a great player....but it certainly should be considered when it comes time to hand him his gold jacket. 

Just now, kgsTitan said:

I remember reading that half of JJ Watt's career sacks have come against the Titans and the Jags (almost entirely when both teams were beyond terrible). I don't think that means he's not a great player....but it certainly should be considered when it comes time to hand him his gold jacket. 

That is a good point.

On 11/7/2017 at 0:24 PM, patsplat said:

Jake has a good point.  Every week a player makes plays translates into another level of attention from opponents.  Byard is on the path but has a ways to go.

Pssh. I'm not sure how a QB is gonna game plan for a guy who is ALWAYS around the ball. Runner gets tackled in the backfield, there's 31 helping. INT, well, it was him. Fumble goes loose, he's there. The guy no matter what is where the ball is.

This is not a fluke. He's PLANNING to be there based on the situation. Now, sure, some elite QB's might be able to trick him with some pumps (Brees) or No-look passes (Rodgers) or hidden ball play action (Peyton), but that's only a few out of 32, and only 5% of plays. 

3 hours ago, SleepingTitan said:

Pssh. I'm not sure how a QB is gonna game plan for a guy who is ALWAYS around the ball. Runner gets tackled in the backfield, there's 31 helping. INT, well, it was him. Fumble goes loose, he's there. The guy no matter what is where the ball is.

This is not a fluke. He's PLANNING to be there based on the situation. Now, sure, some elite QB's might be able to trick him with some pumps (Brees) or No-look passes (Rodgers) or hidden ball play action (Peyton), but that's only a few out of 32, and only 5% of plays. 

I stand by my statement.

When a player reached Troy Polamalu status, division rivals are not only game planning but also drafting to counter that player.  HoF players are special because they produce no matter how much attention they get.

Trust me, Titans were built to match up with the Steelers.

Byard is doing great, sort out the rankings in February.

On 11/7/2017 at 2:43 PM, Soxcat said:

Even if someone thinks he is the best S in the history of the NFL we shouldn't give a shit.  These arguments are for children with nothing better to do.  And the kids performance has nothing to do with how we feel either. 

Exactly. When you're talking about guys this good who cares if one person thinks one guy is slightly better & vice versa. The only thing that concerns us is we have an absolute stud puppy of a safety. 

But if we're talking rankings, Byard is a true ball hawking, single high, center fielder with tremendous instincts & ball skills who also happens to be an absolute monster up by the LOS. Guys like him don't exactly grow on trees.

• 3 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, JakePA_Titan said:

Uhhmmm yea, top 5? Ok....

Past two games been so so. Top 15...maybe.

Just to paraphrase you here. 

"If he isn't getting an int every week he sucks"

We get it. You don't understand the game well enough to understand his contributions to the team . 

1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

It looked to me like Cyprien mostly played single high with Byard more in the box and Byard didn't cover Doyle much if at all. 

I thought Searcy got more reps than usual today and was in single high a few times with Byard playing closer to LOS.  Cyprien spent more than a few plays off the field on passing downs.  Will be interested to see the snap counts.

1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

It looked to me like Cyprien mostly played single high with Byard more in the box and Byard didn't cover Doyle much if at all. 

I've been meaning to focus in on Cyprien more to see how exactly they're using him. From what I've read the main problem he had in Jax was that the SS had to play a lot of man on the TE & slot WR. Cyprien is a big, strong, explosive safety, he's 6'0 217. But he doesn't have the hips & fluidity to play man, and he was scorched. He's at his best playing zone on passing downs, as he's very fast he can get to passes & break them up. 

So I actually think he may be best in the box stuffing the run on early downs & as a deep safety on passing downs, using his speed to range from sideline to sideline.