Cryptocurrency

Downtown

8 hours ago, OzTitan said:

Not a legit one, but it's never been a better time to exploit a popular CMS vulnerability or router vulnerability or JS CDN/npm package to include a malware miner. I wonder how much mining is being done unbeknownst to the mining device's owner.

i wonder about that daily. i bought an SLI graphics card set-up with 2 rx580s, a water-cooled 8700k, decent motherboard, excess RAM, and plenty of other cooling with like 900 watts of power... and my system was massively underperforming. the rx580's were used and were the most popular card for mining for a long time. 

granted, i'm new to PCs but it just wasnt hitting the benchmarks for a long time.  i had to wipe and reset my graphics cards before they got to normal. i still come home to some weird occurrences when i turn on my monitor but the benchmarks are where they should be. 

I have heard of many cases where typical respected software companies have an update and someone added a malware miner. how easy would it be to have an update, let it mine for a couple of weeks or month across a few million computers, then say "oops! somebody did a bad thing and we fired them" when really they just made about 1000 ETH in that time frame?

i know phones are set up differently and more secure, but i also wonder if its not possible to have miners on mobile devices.

should a decent antivirus and windows defender be able to find that stuff?

Edited by titanruss

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Meanwhile in NFT land...    

My bitcoin has been going nutssssssss! Up 70% in the last month and almost 1000% this year! Gimme the loot baby!    Edit: when bitcoin was first developed I started mining it and had al

The first rule of crossfit/Crypto: always talk about crossfit/crypto

Posted Images

7 hours ago, titanruss said:

i wonder about that daily. i bought an SLI graphics card set-up with 2 rx580s, a water-cooled 8700k, decent motherboard, excess RAM, and plenty of other cooling with like 900 watts of power... and my system was massively underperforming. the rx580's were used and were the most popular card for mining for a long time. 

granted, i'm new to PCs but it just wasnt hitting the benchmarks for a long time.  i had to wipe and reset my graphics cards before they got to normal. i still come home to some weird occurrences when i turn on my monitor but the benchmarks are where they should be. 

I have heard of many cases where typical respected software companies have an update and someone added a malware miner. how easy would it be to have an update, let it mine for a couple of weeks or month across a few million computers, then say "oops! somebody did a bad thing and we fired them" when really they just made about 1000 ETH in that time frame?

i know phones are set up differently and more secure, but i also wonder if its not possible to have miners on mobile devices.

should a decent antivirus and windows defender be able to find that stuff?

Definitely possible to mine in phones particularly any usage that uses JS stored remotely where it could be included without any updates on the phone. One legit concern of web instead of native apps, but there are some mitigations for that (subsource integrity hashes). Native apps aren't spared though and it's probably more likely on android but like any system just don't install random untrusted apps.

I'm actually a bit anti anti virus - I'm of the group that believes they get too much low level access to an OS and are a bit of a band aid for something that should be solved at the user level (better awareness). Having said that I do run the Windows defender stuff which suffers from the same high privilege concern but I figure if someone is going to have that on my Windows systems it may as well be MS.

I'm not actually sure how well the miners get picked up - some are "legit" in that they can be used on a site at the user's discretion instead of ads so that might complicate it. In general though I believe they are mostly classed as malware like any other.

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Titans_Win_Again said:

I think now is a good time to purchase BTC.

http://fortune.com/longform/nyse-owner-bitcoin-exchange-startup/ among other factors

Didn't read the article but there is no fucking way I would ever let an investor put a cent of a crypto into my long-term retirement plans that I just set and forget.

The biggest reason crypto is popular is because the fanatics who watch it constantly can buy and sell and make a shitton of money on it's turbulence.

3 hours ago, wiscotitansfan said:

Didn't read the article but there is no fucking way I would ever let an investor put a cent of a crypto into my long-term retirement plans that I just set and forget.

The biggest reason crypto is popular is because the fanatics who watch it constantly can buy and sell and make a shitton of money on it's turbulence.

Why follow the crypto thread when you clearly have no interest in it.

19 minutes ago, Titans_Win_Again said:

Why follow the crypto thread when you clearly have no interest in it.

I have interest in it. Just not with my money that I am stashing away, especially 35 years down the line.

Investing in something so volatile where BTC will eventually be overtaken by another form of currency or just straight up another crypto (absolutely guaranteed) is dumb as shit to put into a retirement plan

Edited by wiscotitansfan

• 1 month later...

You have to be very careful.  BTC can vanish.  "poof"  And you lose everything.  No way to trace.  If your Schwab account gets hacked, they can track it.  50K bitcoin can just vanish.

On 10/7/2018 at 3:44 PM, Number9 said:

You have to be very careful.  BTC can vanish.  "poof"  And you lose everything.  No way to trace.  If your Schwab account gets hacked, they can track it.  50K bitcoin can just vanish.

BTC can vanish if you have it held online in an exchange somewhere and it was hacked. If you hold it in a hardware cold wallet and you keep your private keys safely hidden offline it absolutely cannot be hacked or stolen. 

Just a quick update. Looks like Bitcoin and the alt-markets have formed a rounded bottom and are absolutely poised to go up. BAKTT is launching in November with an ETF. Not sure how fast or how hard Bitcoin will go up. We could make it to 9K by end of year or maybe 12K. 

Those of you who are interested in investing in crypto, there is still time to get in close to the bottom right now, with a 10 month bear market nearing a close. 

Edited by Supdawg

3 hours ago, Supdawg said:

Just a quick update. Looks like Bitcoin and the alt-markets have formed a rounded bottom and are absolutely poised to go up. BAKTT is launching in November with an ETF. Not sure how fast or how hard Bitcoin will go up. We could make it to 9K by end of year or maybe 12K. 

By formed a bottom you mean bitcoin has been basically stagnant for months. 

Cryptocurrency theft is up to over a billion dollars.

But if you keep your fake money offline in a fake wallet and only use a fake key then you might get to keep the money you might make, provided you never put it back online to sell. Or you'll lose it all. Maybe. Who knows?

WHO WANTS TO "INVEST" ...!?

• 1 month later...