Sign in to follow this  
JakePA_Titan

NFL owners considering implementing rule that requires players to stand

8 hours ago, Starkiller said:

Oh, I’m not trying to suggest that slavery wasn’t the norm once. But America was Constitutionally enshrined with slavery in mind. Slavery of black people specifically. 

So then you have a huge issue with the Spaniards and the Portuguese who distributed captured Africans, by other Africans mostly I might add, throughout the western hemisphere and in this case North America receiving the smallest portion of that enslaved population.

Constitutionally enshrined? That is simply false. The constitution upholds individual rights and those were born out in the 1865 and governmental action that followed amending the constitution and such. The southern states simply would not abolish slavery in 1787 and the founders, as much as some mistakenly hate them, understood that England and other empires were the greater threat at that time and the need to form a cohesive nation, and all that that implies, which was of clearly a great need. There are many documents concerning slave holding in the colonies and how many Framers were abolitionists.

Again, slavery as an institution is a terrible sin. I think the issue is how the "Original Sin" of the English, Spanish, and Portuguese colonies is completely America's cross to bear is misguided.

Our educational system teaches actual history is history. Other than places like Texas, we don’t try to sweep things like slavery and Native American genocide under the rug. It’s better to know the ugly truth and learn from it.

Ignorant statement. The key term you should focus on is "learn".

Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it...

Yes and clear, unbiased, and most importantly non-reactionary understanding of the complexities of human history over thousands of years is needed and most here have yet to scratch the surface of any type of historical understanding.

That's all bullshit. It isn’t about equality of outcomes. It’s about equality of opportunity

Please tell me where this exists and I will join in the fight against oppression. Now if you mean the African-American populations that live in largely democrat controlled cities and their lives being stuck in a cycle of poverty, crime, and misery I suggest you look at the history of Democrat politics and how it treats urban minority voters and their plight since Johnson's implemented his vision of civil rights.

Opportunity? Are you really attempting to say that going on fifty years of federal civil rights action and reform has failed to largely address that issue? From the amount of resources used for public education, college admissions, federal hiring standards, et all that opportunity is not far greater. What the left wants is redistribution and equality of outcome for their members, which never works and to tear down the Constitution.

You should have watched the 4 minute video, it would have illuminated a great many things...

Edited by BaddKarma

12 hours ago, JakePA_Titan said:

News flash, he WASN'T involved in a murder. He was just questioned because he used to date the girl.

If you idiots knew how to read, you should have noticed I said the police even said he wasn't a suspect prior to the draft.

If you're going to argue, at least know wtf you're talking about. 

That's not why he went undrafted... He went undrafted because he said he wouldn't sign if he wasn't a day 1 pick and would rather just hold out until the next draft.

This way he got the best of both worlds by signing the highest UDFA contract which I believe amounted to the salary of a 2nd round pick (but can hit FA before others too I believe).

If some player said they would not play in the NFL until they could kneel for the flag (after the NFL supposedly is going to force players to play then you have an apt comparison but at the end of the day the players drop so far because they said they wouldn't play... Not because any off field issues.

Edited by wiscotitansfan

2 hours ago, NFLStudent said:

They asked Keapernick, "Why did you do this?" in August 2016. He answered.

"People don't realize what's really going on in this country. There are a lot of things that are going on that are unjust. People aren't being held accountable for. And that's something that needs to change. That's something that this country stands for freedom, liberty and justice for all. And it's not happening for all right now."

At that same press conference he was asked about Obama being elected twice. He answered.

"It has elected a black president, but there are also a lot of things that haven’t changed. There are a lot of issues that still haven’t been addressed, and that’s something over an eight-year term. There’s a lot of those things that are hard to change, and there’s a lot of those things that he doesn’t necessarily have complete control over."

http://www.espn.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/18957/transcript-of-colin-kaepernicks-comments-about-sitting-during-national-anthem

Yet you didn't qoute the part where he said America stands for oppression of minorities. Which is basically the main part of the outrage. Along with protesting before the flag.

When whites refer to blacks as thugs or gang bangers, people throw a fit. That's not right, thats racist!

Now, I do agree with a lot he says. There are people who are treated unfairly. People from all walks of life. Of all races. So good for him.

But I want to pinpoint around the 1:30 mark. Go to about 1:00 and listen.

Hey says "these things have never been addressed and that they need to be".

Ok, so the LA riots didn't address police brutality? The riots in Ferguson and Baltimore didn't address that? Now I do appreciate that this protest is of the nature that hasn't gotten violent. But he is completely wrong in what he said. This is addressed a lot. 

Onto the next part. Shortly after that statement he says "when the Flag starts representing what it's supposed to". Tell me how the Flag represents racism? This is one of the main issues.

Y'all say its not about the Flag. But Kaep in that interview admitted that it's about the Flag because he feels it represents racism. But you keep saying it has nothing to do with that. It's complete BS.

Just because there are racist people, doesn't mean the Flag and America as a whole stands for it.

Then he goes on to talk about police brutality and how cops are killing people and getting away with. There is nothing wrong with that. He's right. But how come he doesn't single out gangs, of all races, who kill people as well?? A lot of them get away with it because people in their own community won't testify against them. Yet, they make it a point to fight against cops wrong doings but not people of their own who do wrong? This is not a problem? Yet you bring that up about the black on black murder rate, and they don't want to hear it.

That's why all this white on black falls on deaf ears because black kill more blacks than White civilians and white cops combined.

If you really want to clean things up, start in your own community with your own people who are oppression each other on a daily basis.

I would dive deeper into that interview but I'm on break at work and have to get back.

• We all have a right to speak our mind.
  • We do not have the right to force others to listen or agree or comply with our opinion.
  • In a free market, the consumer always decides where to spend their money.
  • If the consumer (fan) doesn't want to spend his/her hard earned dollar watching someone else do something that irritates or offends them, they are free to take their money elsewhere.
  • The NFL is making a business decision right now.
  • Its about time that the league, teams and players found out its actually the fans who pay for everything (and I do mean everything).
  • Important practice for successful business': Know your customer.
  • There are other, better places and ways to promote your opinion.
Edited by Minntitfan

43 minutes ago, JakePA_Titan said:

Yet you didn't qoute the part where he said America stands for oppression of minorities. Which is basically the main part of the outrage. Along with protesting before the flag.

When whites refer to blacks as thugs or gang bangers, people throw a fit. That's not right, thats racist!

Now, I do agree with a lot he says. There are people who are treated unfairly. People from all walks of life. Of all races. So good for him.

But I want to pinpoint around the 1:30 mark. Go to about 1:00 and listen.

Hey says "these things have never been addressed and that they need to be".

Ok, so the LA riots didn't address police brutality? The riots in Ferguson and Baltimore didn't address that? Now I do appreciate that this protest is of the nature that hasn't gotten violent. But he is completely wrong in what he said. This is addressed a lot. 

Onto the next part. Shortly after that statement he says "when the Flag starts representing what it's supposed to". Tell me how the Flag represents racism? This is one of the main issues.

Y'all say its not about the Flag. But Kaep in that interview admitted that it's about the Flag because he feels it represents racism. But you keep saying it has nothing to do with that. It's complete BS.

Just because there are racist people, doesn't mean the Flag and America as a whole stands for it.

Then he goes on to talk about police brutality and how cops are killing people and getting away with. There is nothing wrong with that. He's right. But how come he doesn't single out gangs, of all races, who kill people as well?? A lot of them get away with it because people in their own community won't testify against them. Yet, they make it a point to fight against cops wrong doings but not people of their own who do wrong? This is not a problem? Yet you bring that up about the black on black murder rate, and they don't want to hear it.

That's why all this white on black falls on deaf ears because black kill more blacks than White civilians and white cops combined.

If you really want to clean things up, start in your own community with your own people who are oppression each other on a daily basis.

I would dive deeper into that interview but I'm on break at work and have to get back.

Its an 18 min interview. There's a lot I didn't quote. 

America means different things to different people. The flag means different things to different people. 

The flag does represent our military. 

It also represents a justice system that promises equality but comes up short......a lot.

It does represent freedom.

It also represents a country where women SEEM to be paid less than men for doing the same job.

America has good and bad. It ok not to love or even like all of America. 

Why doesn't Keap single out gangs? IDK.

Why does the breast cancer society focus on heart attack prevention? "they kill people to you know." 

There are plenty of organizations that focus on gang prevention. There are plenty of organizations that focuses on black on black crime. 

I sure if Keap was asked about gangs he would say "they are a problem." 

22 minutes ago, NFLStudent said:

Why doesn't Keap single out gangs? IDK.

Why does the breast cancer society focus on heart attack prevention? "they kill people to you know." 

There are plenty of organizations that focus on gang prevention. There are plenty of organizations that focuses on black on black crime. 

I sure if Keap was asked about gangs he would say "they are a problem." 

I hate that the popular mentality is "If you're not with us, you're against us"... IMO it's TGLC and Curtis' biggest detractor on anything related to an actual conversation. Telling me (and proclaiming to the entire board) and many others how racist we are for openly not caring to take action to solve racial injustices.

Anyone who uses those arguments as an excuse about a person doing more is just detracting from the conversation whether they try to or not. People who rip on Kaep for not trying to solve all the issues are purposely just trying to divert attention. People who scream racist for others not being emphathetic enough for the situation to take action detract from the conversation by instilling so much hatred and division in it.

At the end of the day, that dumbass mentality just breaks down the chance of real conversation happening and it is done far too often no matter where you fall on any of these conversations.

earlers   
1 hour ago, Minntitfan said:
  • We all have a right to speak our mind.
  • We do not have the right to force others to listen or agree or comply with our opinion.
  • In a free market, the consumer always decides where to spend their money.
  • If the consumer (fan) doesn't want to spend his/her hard earned dollar watching someone else do something that irritates or offends them, they are free to take their money elsewhere.
  • The NFL is making a business decision right now.
  • Its about time that the league, teams and players found out its actually the fans who pay for everything (and I do mean everything).
  • Important practice for successful business': Know your customer.
  • There are other, better places and ways to promote your opinion.

Fans barely pay for shit. TV deals do. Stop with the yelling, “I pay your salary!”  You as a fan don’t have that much power. Advertisers have more. 

Also, please stop with the “protest on your own time”. Protests aren’t supposed to be convenient.

38 minutes ago, Titansgoodluckcharm said:

And people are offended why?

I don't know what offends people, nor do I care. I care as much about a players political affiliation or stance on any issue, exactly as much as they care about mine. I just want to watch football. I don't think I am alone. The NFL is painfully out of touch with is customer base. People are starting to realize that the sun is still shining outside and they can find other things to do with three to six hours on a Sunday afternoon. Monday night viewership was down double digits. They are killing the golden goose and when they open it up and find no golden eggs they'll have no one to blame but themselves.

47 minutes ago, earlers said:

Fans barely pay for shit. TV deals do. Stop with the yelling, “I pay your salary!”  You as a fan don’t have that much power. Advertisers have more. 

Also, please stop with the “protest on your own time”. Protests aren’t supposed to be convenient.

You can't really believe that can you? The Simple Version: Players are paid by owners. Owners are paid through the League. The league is paid by the networks. The networks sell air time (advertisement time) to companies or subscriptions to consumers. Who do you think companies sell their product to? The Fan. Companies don't buy air time on HGTV to reach football Fans. All revenue generated by the league, aside from a few government provided subsidies' , comes directly from the fan. I live in Minnesota, so in order to watch the Titans every weekend I purchase direct TV so that I can then purchase Sunday ticket (works out to be about $600/year). Why do you think Direct TV pays the league so much for the contract? Because fans, as an entity, pay more than direct TV pays the league. Fans pay for tickets, concessions, merchandise, products that generate advertising revenue, they even subsidize costs for stadiums. You say, "You as a fan don’t have that much power" so I'm just supposed to shut up and take it. Maybe this is my protest, can't you be as respectful if it as you expect others to be of the ones you are sympathetic to?  As far as the convenience or inconvenience of a protest IDGAF, I still don't want to pay for it.

Edited by Minntitfan

52 minutes ago, Minntitfan said:

I don't know what offends people, nor do I care. I care as much about a players political affiliation or stance on any issue, exactly as much as they care about mine. I just want to watch football. I don't think I am alone. The NFL is painfully out of touch with is customer base. People are starting to realize that the sun is still shining outside and they can find other things to do with three to six hours on a Sunday afternoon. Monday night viewership was down double digits. They are killing the golden goose and when they open it up and find no golden eggs they'll have no one to blame but themselves.

Then what the hell do you care about what they do during the national anthem. You just want to watch football...

9 minutes ago, Titansgoodluckcharm said:

You were against me from the get go. Now you have a change of heart? Doesn't that make what I did effective?

What was my change of heart? I have never once said there weren't issues to solve, I just don't care enough to jump in to solve them... Same as I have always said.