Kareem Hunt a top 10 back this year?

9 Nines

Spencer Ware has been diagnosed with a torn PCL and will likely need season-ending surgery.

Chiefs head athletic trainer Rick Burkholder announced the diagnosis on Sunday. Ware is also dealing with damage to his LCL. He'll get a second opinion, but in all likelihood, Ware will go under the knife. Third-round rookie Kareem Hunt will now proceed as the team's unquestioned workhorse (Andy Reid self picked every-down back) and could finish the year in the RB1 conversation if all goes right.

Edited by 9 Nines

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Spencer Ware has been diagnosed with a torn PCL and will likely need season-ending surgery. Chiefs head athletic trainer Rick Burkholder announced the diagnosis on Sunday. Ware is also dealing wi

You should trade him now. His value will never be higher. 

Posted Images

Hunt performance was the least of what he showed last night.

It wasn't that he had the most yardage for a player's first game in the history of the NFL.  It wasn't that he is now only one of three players to get 150+ yards and 3 TDs in his first game, and the first to do since Marshall Faulk in 1994. 

It was his mental game (after only fumbling once in college and not losing it, to come back for a historic performance after opening up with a fumble on his first NFL carry took a strong mental outlook and discipline.) It was the consistent stiff-arm move that gained him extra yardage after extra yardage.  It was the balance that allowed him to get 5+ yard run after run and that forces defenders to have to use sound tackle fundamentals to bring him down or his just bounces off them (same balance and low center of gravity that was the key to Emmitt Smith's success.) It was the sure hands allowing him to catch 5 out of 5 passes.  It was a balanced skillset that allows him to he stay in the game on all downs, something not seen much anymore with current running backs. It was the vision to know where to take the ball so almost every run was for at least a few yards and allowed many long runs.

Edited by 9 Nines

Dude, give it up.... You just talking about how high you are on the guy doesn't drive up his trade value.

No one wants to buy a guy at likely his highest price from someone who is realistically overrating the shit outta the dude. Top 10 is possible but you acting like he is one of the best RBs in NFL history completely turns people off at the idea of anyone even trying to start a trade conversation.

2 hours ago, 9 Nines said:

Hunt performance was the least of what he showed last night.

It wasn't that he had the most yardage for a player's first game in the history of the NFL.  It wasn't that he is now only one of three players to get 150+ yards and 3 TDs in his first game, and the first to do since Marshall Faulk in 1994. 

It was his mental game (after only fumbling once in college and not losing it, to come back for a historic performance after opening up with a fumble on his first NFL carry took a strong mental outlook and discipline.) It was the consistent stiff-arm move that gained him extra yardage after extra yardage.  It was the balance that allowed him to get 5+ yard run after run and that forces defenders to have to use sound tackle fundamentals to bring him down or his just bounces off them (same balance and low center of gravity that was the key to Emmitt Smith's success.) It was the sure hands allowing him to catch 5 out of 5 passes.  It was a balanced skillset that allows him to he stay in the game on all downs, something not seen much anymore with current running backs. It was the vision to know where to take the ball so almost every run was for at least a few yards and allowed many long runs.

Ok, 3 burritos!

16 minutes ago, Bink said:

Going into the draft, once Ware went down he was drafted in the top 20. Had Ware been injured before the rookie draft, Hunt would have been a first round pick. 

When I first started looking at rookies for our dynasty draft, I saw Emmitt Smith while watching Hunt's runs.   Hunt is a little bigger but I think their running style, vision, and balance are very similar.  Even the stiff arm action is similar.  I can't recall how natural of a receiver Smith was - Hunt might have an edge there. 

The way Hunt glided and squeezed through the line and bounced off players without taking punishment, he could maybe be a top running back for a long time.

Is it just me or did Hunt look a lot like this last night:

Edited by 9 Nines

Hunt was the guy I was going to draft in the dynasty league before trading the pick for Melvin Gordon.  I drafted him early in two of my money league drafts before the Ware injury happened (and was laughed at).

He certainly looked great last night when he had the ball in his hands but there was plenty of rookie inexperience on display that the announcers didn't catch or failed to mention.  He flat out missed a block on one of the run plays.  I forget who had the ball (Hill/West) but if Ware makes that block it was a long TD instead of just a 5-10 yard gain.  They were routinely taking him off the field at times in favor of West because of pass protection.  And getting caught from behind by McCourty was pathetic.

7 minutes ago, abenjami said:

And getting caught from behind by McCourty was pathetic.

Hunt has below average speed.  He is about the same speed as Emmitt Smith.  His and Smith's game is/was vision, balance and agility. Having a successful skillset based on those attributes instead of speed means he has a better chance of staying at his peak performance for more years than other running backs.

18 minutes ago, abenjami said:

They were routinely taking him off the field at times in favor of West because of pass protection. 

He was just getting a breather.  His pass protection is above average for a rookie. Here is Hunt blocking two rushers:

Edited by 9 Nines