Kareem Hunt a top 10 back this year?

9 Nines

7 minutes ago, 9 Nines said:

Hunt has below average speed.  He is about the same speed as Emmitt Smith.  His and Smith's game is/was vision, balance and agility. Having a successful skillset based on those attributes instead of speed means he has a better chance of staying at his peak performance for more years than other running backs.

McCourty isn't a blazer himself either.  And he had no angle.  He flat out ran him down from behind.  I'm not sure whether Hunt was just gassed at that point or thought he was still in college and no one would catch him but either way it was pathetic.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Spencer Ware has been diagnosed with a torn PCL and will likely need season-ending surgery. Chiefs head athletic trainer Rick Burkholder announced the diagnosis on Sunday. Ware is also dealing wi

You should trade him now. His value will never be higher. 

Posted Images

1 minute ago, 9 Nines said:

He was just getting a breather.  His pass protection is above average for a rookie. Here is Hunt blocking two rushers:

Certainly a nice block on that play but there were others where it wasn't as good.  And it seemed to me he was situationally coming off the field as opposed to just getting breathers.

7 minutes ago, abenjami said:

McCourty isn't a blazer himself either.  And he had no angle.  He flat out ran him down from behind.  I'm not sure whether Hunt was just gassed at that point or thought he was still in college and no one would catch him but either way it was pathetic.

McCourty is pretty fast and Hunt is below average in speed.  Again, Hunt's game is vision, balance and agility, which means much more consistent runs and games than speed backs.  For example, I think he had positive yardage on every run last night. I think his shortest was 2 yards.   Here is a highlight from preseason that demonstrates the essence of his game (well timing his run into blocks while a defender can't stop him even with two hands on him, stiff arms a secondary defender into the dirt, etc.) To me, this is the epitome of how running backs should play - watch the play and then watch the post-analysis of the play from different angles: 

Edited by 9 Nines

31 minutes ago, abenjami said:

Hunt was the guy I was going to draft in the dynasty league before trading the pick for Melvin Gordon.  

Yeah, Abenjami has been scouting Hunt since his freshman year in high school. It crushed him to not draft him. Hunt is like a son to Abenjami. 

He'll also tell you he didn't just accidentally luck into David Johnson either, and simply selected a RB because he just needed a RB at the time.  He scouted and researched DJ before selecting him in the draft, at the cost of neglecting his cases. 

Edited by CMJ

12 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Yeah, Abenjami has been scouting Hunt since his freshman year in high school. It crushed him to not draft him. Hunt is like a son to Abenjami. 

He'll also tell you he didn't just accidentally luck into David Johnson either, and simply selected a RB because he just needed a RB at the time.  He scouted and researched DJ before selecting him in the draft, at the cost of neglecting his cases. 

LOL good read!

Here is a play from practice.  This looks like the same play which Hunt scored the long receiving touch-down except Smith hit him in stride in the actual game and Mahomes short throws him in practice:

Edited by 9 Nines

21 minutes ago, Jamalisms said:

Keep in mind his last few carries were short chock killers. Real % likely higher.

Also, his first carry was around 8 yards but he fumbled (also impressive in how how well he came mentally back from that.)   As I wrote earlier, his overall performance, while literally historic (most yards from scrimmage for a player's first game in NFL history), was not what was so impressive - how well he did on almost every carry was and how well he received the ball (truly complete 3 down skillset.)

Edited by 9 Nines

2 minutes ago, 9 Nines said:

Also, his first carry was around 8 yards but he fumbled (that was also impressive that he came mentally back from that so well.)   As I wrote earlier, his overall performance, while literally historic (most yards from scrimmage for a player's first game in NFL history), was not what was so impressive - how well he did on almost every carry was.

Oh, I own him in my work money league. It was remarkable. Near-shockingly so.

But it's also week 1 where surprises and weird results happen. Also, they were scheming creatively which will wear off. He'll likely end the year well to extremely well. But it'll fade from here.

... and though I value him highly, I'm not trading an elite second year WR plus a huge upside, young RB for him in a dynasty league... in addition to multiple others. I wouldn't even trade Thomas for him straight up at this point... but I'm extremely high in Thomas.

Kareem Hunt scored 20.1 more fantasy points than any other running back in Week 1. That number alone would have ranked No. 3 on the week. Even if you remove Hunt’s longest touch against the Patriots, he generated 168 yards. The Eagles are a stiffer test, but it’s possible we’re looking at somebody who be in the mix for No. 1 overall status this season