Jump to content
TennesseeTuxedo

Trump Renegotiating NAFTA with Mexico's President at G20 Summit

Recommended Posts

Justafan   
7 hours ago, Rolltide said:

I think he is saying you are anti-american if you want your president to fail. 

 

 

Which, going by the standard presented on this board, clearly happened.  Just to be clear, I don't think anyone here WANTS the President or America to fail.  If they do, then fuck them.  I think people disapprove of Trump and look for any opportunity to cast his actions in a negative light (I freely admit to being in that category).  That's not the same thing though. 

 

I don't say that stuff because I want him to fail.  I say that stuff because I believe he has failed in myriad ways and is a disgrace to the office.  I think he's succeeded on some things too and kudos to the administration on those successes.  That won't change my disdain for a man I believe to be a criminal, a sexual predator, a liar, and an incompetent buffoon.   

Edited by Justafan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Downtown   
7 hours ago, Rolltide said:

I think he is saying you are anti-american if you want your president to fail. 

 

 

The thing is that I DON'T want Trump's economic policies to fail. I'd happily eat crow if he turned America into a raging (and most importantly STABLE) economy. But this tax cut has completely fucked up our future and no economist or law-maker currently knows how to reverse it. Our debt is just going to erode us away into a corner and it won't be possible to lower taxes, cut interest rates, or manipulate the dollar to stimulate the economy again. We're now painted into a corner. 

 

Personally speaking, a major recession in 5-10 years will really fuck things up for America, and more importantly, my pocketbook.

 

http://fortune.com/2018/03/15/us-national-debt-trump-tax-cuts/

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Downtown   

Its ironic that in my lifetime we could be in a scenario where America is forced to enact one of the highest tax-rates in the world, but has none of the benefits to show for it. Instead, some absolutely greedy baby-boomer Republicans decided to give that money away to corporations and war-mongering military contractors. Even worse, some absolutely clueless idiots on a football forum cheered the policies because one year they got a lil' money for themselves. Idiots deserve Trump. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ctm   
13 minutes ago, Downtown said:

Its ironic that in my lifetime we could be in a scenario where America is forced to enact one of the highest tax-rates in the world, but has none of the benefits to show for it. Instead, some absolutely greedy baby-boomer Republicans decided to give that money away to corporation and war-mongering military contractors. Even worse, some absolutely clueless idiots on a football forum cheered the policies because one year they got a lil' money for themselves. Idiots deserve Trump. 

 

 

Greece ended up like this.....heavily in debt and in a recession at the same time.  If that happens, then its almost impossible to raise taxes because that makes the recession worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Soxcat said:

Nice to see the anti-American idiots responding.  Good for you guys.

This is the bullshit that gets tiring. No one is against America here. I’ve derided the left for saying those who support Trump are anti-American. Stop doing the same shit. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Rolltide said:

This is not like negotiating with North Korea. A good trade deal should benefit all parties. 

 

This ejaculation you pubs have over the idea of Trump punking Mexico into a deal that enriches us and fucks them in the ass doesn't compute. We benefit from Mexico's success because it makes them a better customer for our products. Secondarily a thriving Mexican economy means fewer of them feeling the need to come here illegally. 

 

One of the failures of NAFTA is that Mexico is almost more poor now then they were in 1994. 

 

Because of NAFTA trade between the 3 countries has increased 300%. That was the objective. 

Good post, but it wasn’t a failure of NAFTA that left Mexico like this. It was corruption from the top down that has allowed the cartels to essentially be the government in large swaths of their country. That’s a failure of our war on drugs, not NAFTA. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
begooode   

At least preliminarily, it looks like good news on the NAFTA renegotiation:

 

,... Negotiators for both countries agreed to a new rule that dictates where auto parts are made.  Under the current law, about 62% of the parts in any car sold in North America must be produced in the region or automakers have to pay import taxes. The new preliminary agreement would require that 75% of auto parts be made in the United States and Mexico, according to the US Trade Representative's office.

US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer said the agreement was "absolutely terrific" and would modernize a trade deal that had "gotten seriously out of whack." He said he hoped Congress would approve it with broad bipartisan support.

 

Much of the business world has been worried about Trump's trade policies, and the stock market reacted positively to the news. The Dow rose more than 250 points and the S&P 500 and Nasdaq hit new highs on Monday.

 

The agreement between the two countries could restart negotiations on NAFTA with all three parties -- the United States, Mexico and Canada.

 

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/08/27/politics/mexico-us-trade-deal/index.html

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, begooode said:

At least preliminarily, it looks like good news on the NAFTA renegotiation:

 

,... Negotiators for both countries agreed to a new rule that dictates where auto parts are made.  Under the current law, about 62% of the parts in any car sold in North America must be produced in the region or automakers have to pay import taxes. The new preliminary agreement would require that 75% of auto parts be made in the United States and Mexico, according to the US Trade Representative's office.

US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer said the agreement was "absolutely terrific" and would modernize a trade deal that had "gotten seriously out of whack." He said he hoped Congress would approve it with broad bipartisan support.

 

Much of the business world has been worried about Trump's trade policies, and the stock market reacted positively to the news. The Dow rose more than 250 points and the S&P 500 and Nasdaq hit new highs on Monday.

 

The agreement between the two countries could restart negotiations on NAFTA with all three parties -- the United States, Mexico and Canada.

 

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/08/27/politics/mexico-us-trade-deal/index.html

 

this is nice if true. looking forward to full details but the pessimist in me is thinking that if 75% of the parts must be made in the USA and Mexico.... then they will just make 75% of cars in Mexico.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Btowner   
6 hours ago, titanruss said:

this is nice if true. looking forward to full details but the pessimist in me is thinking that if 75% of the parts must be made in the USA and Mexico.... then they will just make 75% of cars in Mexico.

Agree. However, similar to the “agreement” with North Korea, we have to wait and see. The devil is in the details.

 

Hopefully, the great deal maker didn’t give away Texas.

😀

Edited by Btowner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All this deal covers is auto parts? And it probably helps Mexico more than us (at the expense of the EU). Trump really just wanted to be able to say he did something, eh? He can’t get NAFTA re-done so he is just going to pretend that he is “winning”. 

Edited by Starkiller

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The US-Mexico Trade Agreement leaves Canada out in the cold because they would not agree to terms that the US and Mexico agreed to. This replaces a large part of NAFTA. Old NAFTA agreement rules will be allowed to expire and new bilateral agreements will be put into the place if the old agreements. NAFTA is dead.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...