WR Eric Decker Meeting with Titans

Cyrus

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't see why so many people act like Decker has one foot in the grave.  He's younger than Edelman, Greg Olson, and only six months older than Crabtree.  He's only a year and a half older than Dez.

Look at his sexy ass wife.

Close to happening?  

Posted Images

41 minutes ago, Mercalius said:

I don't see why so many people act like Decker has one foot in the grave.  He's younger than Edelman, Greg Olson, and only six months older than Crabtree.  He's only a year and a half older than Dez.   I mean, I get it, he's thirty and coming off an injury but he's stayed pretty healthy throughout his career and has some pretty absurd statistics if you look at his last three healthy seasons.  

Were not needing him to single handedly save our receiving corp but it's not at all crazy to think he could have two or three more years of decent to potentially really good production.  That's an enternity in the NFL - and if one of the young guys gets left by the wayside in that scenario - I wouldn't exactly say we had lost out by having a better player start over them

I like Taylor, but a week of practice shouldn't offset the fact that many here hated the pick and thought he looked awful in a lot of his games.  And Sharpe?  Fair or not, he's not really earned anything.   I'd rather have the insurance policy of the double digit TD guy on the roster than banking that either, let alone both, of those guys take the next step - especially in 2017

That's it right there.  An aging, likely overpriced insurance policy that would likely end up our 3 or 4.  

But since cap is not an issue, and that insurance policy could potentially result in just enough plays to maybe shift 1-2 games from losses to wins, and we're right at that cusp where 1-2 more might = AFC South champs, I say go for it.  At least as long as contract demands aren't too outrageous (amazing to think 3-4mil/yr for a backup vet WR might be considered reasonable), and no playing time expectations/guarantees are set in stone. 

Not enamored with him at all, but again - if healthy enough - he probably does improves the WR corps on the whole.  

IMO, the big advantage to adding Decker would be depth and consistency for the receiving corps as a whole for the entire season. 

Lets face it:  the current WR corps looks decent enough on paper....but the Titans are also one injury away from starting Sharpe or Douglas and being right back where they were last year.  

Personally, I suspect Decker would likely be productive and have an impact from day one.  But even if he didn't...injuries are an unfortunate fact of life for every team.  Should Matthews or Davis miss time due to injury, I'd much rather Decker step into the starting role than any of the other options on the roster.

24 minutes ago, GreatDanish said:

If we sign Decker... we would have gone from DGB, Justin Hunter, and Kendall Wright... to Corey Davis, Eric Decker, and Rishard Mathews in two offseasons. Oh, and from Bishop Sankey, Antonio Andrews, Dexter McCluster, and David Cobb ... to Demarco Murray and Derrick Henry. And from Chance Warmack and Poutasi... well, I think it's clear.

Now, if only our defensive backfield can make the same progress, we're in business.

Our offense depth chart in 2015

QB-Mariota, Mettenberger, Whitehurst

RB-Sankey, Andrews, McCluster, Cobb, Fowler

WR-Wright, Douglas, Hunter, DGB

TE-Walker, Fasano, Stevens, Coffman, Supernaw

OL-Lewan, Byron Bell, Schwenke, Warmack, Poutasi, Gallick, Spain, Meredith

Yikes

1 hour ago, chef said:

That's it right there.  An aging, likely overpriced insurance policy that would likely end up our 3 or 4.  

But since cap is not an issue, and that insurance policy could potentially result in just enough plays to maybe shift 1-2 games from losses to wins, and we're right at that cusp where 1-2 more might = AFC South champs, I say go for it.  At least as long as contract demands aren't too outrageous (amazing to think 3-4mil/yr for a backup vet WR might be considered reasonable), and no playing time expectations/guarantees are set in stone. 

Not enamored with him at all, but again - if healthy enough - he probably does improves the WR corps on the whole.  

Highly likely they will be knowing mularkeys past and what they admitted they did with murray

Edited by titanruss

2 hours ago, Mercalius said:

I don't see why so many people act like Decker has one foot in the grave.  He's younger than Edelman, Greg Olson, and only six months older than Crabtree.  He's only a year and a half older than Dez.   I mean, I get it, he's thirty and coming off an injury but he's stayed pretty healthy throughout his career and has some pretty absurd statistics if you look at his last three healthy seasons.  

Were not needing him to single handedly save our receiving corp but it's not at all crazy to think he could have two or three more years of decent to potentially really good production.  That's an enternity in the NFL - and if one of the young guys gets left by the wayside in that scenario - I wouldn't exactly say we had lost out by having a better player start over them

I like Taylor, but a week of practice shouldn't offset the fact that many here hated the pick and thought he looked awful in a lot of his games.  And Sharpe?  Fair or not, he's not really earned anything.   I'd rather have the insurance policy of the double digit TD guy on the roster than banking that either, let alone both, of those guys take the next step - especially in 2017

There's always great value buys in the over 30 FA market. If a guy has an injury & doesn't play much, everybody assumes he's washed up. 

You hit the nail on the head. The guys 30 & coming off an injury, but the year before that he had almost 1100 yards & 12 TD's playing opposite Marshall with Fitz as his QB. He should still have 3-4 very good years left & the odds are, even though I love him as a prospect, that Taylor will need some time & probably won't be close to as good as a 100% Decker next year.

I also think Marcus & Decker are a great fit as a QB/WR pair. Decker is smart & is always in the right place, and Marcus throws with great anticipation.

My ONLY concern is the injury. When 100% Decker is a beast. He's being heavily underrated on this board. He's been productive with evrey QB he's played for and that list includes Tim Tebow, Ryan Fitzpatrick, and Geno Smith. How many receivers can say that?

I really hope we sign Eric Decker i think he makes the WR corp much better not to mention it would be good for insurance in case of either injury or rookies not developing quick enough.

Davis/Matthews/Decker/Taylor/Sharpe would easily end up being the most talented group of WR that this team has ever put on the field.  Also at TE you have Walker/Amaro/Smith/Supernaw. Finally at RB we have Murray/Henry/Muhammad.

PFF recently ranked the Titans offensive line the best in the NFL. Lewan/Conklin/Jones/Spain/Kline and four out of those five linemen were in the top ten.

Overall the 2017 offense is the most talented offense as a whole that the team has had in the last 20 years.

They seem set on offense going forward into 2018. The depth looks good as well.

JRob's main objective heading into 2018 needs to be defense,defense,defense. I think pass rushers and linebackers should be the biggest priority.

11 hours ago, Mythos27 said:

My ONLY concern is the injury. When 100% Decker is a beast. He's being heavily underrated on this board. He's been productive with evrey QB he's played for and that list includes Tim Tebow, Ryan Fitzpatrick, and Geno Smith. How many receivers can say that?

I wouldn't say beast but that's solid WR play a la Rishard Matthews. He's not making plays where there are none or extending plays, nothing eye popping other than that one handed grab but he's doing his job and he's experienced. I'd be happy to have him if he doesn't get in the rookies' way.

But compare his to Brandon Marshall's highlights from the same year and you see he's by no means the Dynamo missing piece to the championship puzzle

Decker would be a significant and immediate upgrade over Douglas and/or McBride...no doubt about it.

The question is whether he sees himself as a guy who will be on the field 50+ plays per game with a paycheck to match, and whether the Titans share that opinion.