Episode 135 - NFL Draft Preview Part 2

Jonboy

12 minutes ago, Cyrus said:

Okay - you guys have me thinking about where they may draft a corner now. (8:05 mark). Here's my quick impressions of the CBs.

Tre'Davious White - Really good first impression. (TAM game). Good size, build for the position. Has spatial awareness, knows where the sticks are and is patient reading the play. Solid tackler who is an able force corner (strong side of the formation). Average hands but sees the play. Could be very solid nickel corner or outside corner in the right scheme. Seems like above average athlete. Late first, early second kind of guy.

Adoree' Jackson - Below average first impression. (Stanford) Looks like average athlete on the field. Has above average speed, but otherwise unimpressive. Plays bail technique often and will play very soft. Lacks ball awareness. Doesn't seem to know where the ball is going. Looks underdeveloped for an NFL prospect. Late round kind of guy. 

Sidney Jones - Writing from memory here. Excellent all-around athlete. Lean, but has speed and quickness. Physical cover corner. Can see the play develop and has ball skills. Lacks bulk but otherwise has all the traits to be a top cover corner. Concern is he could be bullied by stronger, bigger receivers but could be a scrapper. Top 15-20 talent. Injury clouds his draft position.

Marshon Lattimore - Very athletic, very fluid. Excellent speed. You're going to need to teach him how to play corner though because he really doesn't play with much technique. He can get grabby on the shorter routes where he struggles to anticipate. He can run down the field with anyone (but John Ross). Interviews and other information I'm not privy to will determine where he goes. If teams have confidence he can learn, he'll go Top 10. If not, probably go Top 20 based on traits. If you run mostly man you may feel more comfortable letting him chase around receivers, but I think he'll struggle against smarter, quicker receivers early on. I don't think he's ready. I wouldn't take him Top 5. (pasted from another post of mine).

Gareon Conley - Average first impression (Clemson). Average overall athlete with some straight line speed. Average feet in technique. Will play with a sloppy base which compromises his quickness. Good hands and can make the play if it comes to him. Lacks a physical edge. Just very average all-around. Looks like a 3rd to 4th round guy. 

Chidobe Awuzi - Very poor first impression. (Stanford). Lacks ball awareness. Slow to react. Can have slow feet. Very good size, but otherwise, not many traits. Game lacks a sense of urgency. Plays very reactively. Watched some of Washington game to understand why he's considered an NFL prospect. Size/Speed flier. Looks like a 6-7th round guy. Couldn't even tackle John Ross at the LOS with two hands on him.

Interesting. Have you followed the media reports much? Some of these, you're right in line with their perception, but far off on others. 

Conley is expected to go in the top half of round 1 with some even saying he'll go ahead of Lattimore.

Awuzie has gained a lot of steam lately and a few guys have connected him to the Titans. Daniel Jeremiah had us taking him at 18 in one of his mocks! He's also accepted an invite to be at the draft so he must feel he has a good shot to go in 1.

Apparently, Adoree really improved as the year went on and this was the first year USC let him play CB that much. Belief that he could go late round 1/early round 2.

Your thoughts on White, Lattimore, and Jones are about what I've read elsewhere. Not saying you/they are right/wrong. Just thought you may be interested in seeing how your perception differs from the media folks.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think some combination of OJ Howard, Kevin King, Tredavious White, John Ross and Corey Davis would be an excellent Top 50 start for the Titans. 

I would lose my mind if we trade down and took Howard, then Davis/Ross, and then King/White in early round 2.  That one-handed INT against ASU? Whooo boy... 

What have you changed your mind on during the draft process, if anything? Could be team needs, likelihood of drafting a position not related to moves, a player you like less or more or more then less.

Posted Images

Just added Kevin King. 

"Kevin King - Very positive first impression (Alabama). Fun to watch with his size. Surprisingly fluid for 6-3. Above average athlete. Love to watch him hit and tackle. Involved and physical. Can bail and cover vertically. Can look a little slow in transition due to length, but is very coordinated. Watched some of ASU game as well and made a huge play. These UW guys can ball. Smart and well coached. First round guy."

Really like these UW defensive backs. All of them are good. Kevin King would be a very good fit for this team. 

I haven't followed the media at all this year. Based on what I've heard from others and checking my evaluation against others, I feel like the Ohio State guys are overhyped. They looked coached to sit on deep routes and I think the ball production may be overinflated when teams were trying to keep up with their scoring. The difference in their technique and how they play is night/day to the Washington Huskies.

Awuzi, I just don't see it. Maybe the Stanford game was a bad game for him. I use them as a yardstick based on how they play. (more similar to NFL). You can't be an NFL corner and be slow to react. Your feet can't be late and you can't lack awareness.There were a few plays where Awuzi looked mentally late and physically late. Maybe if I watched other games, it might round out my impression more, but I think this is an overhyped prospect. Maybe he impressed more against more simple, vertical or spread offenses, but against Stanford he looked lost. The NFL looks a lot more like Stanford.

It would be interesting if the Titans were able to trade with say the Bills. I think it's possible Howard could be there at 10. You could take Corey Davis at 18 and a CB with the 2. You also have the option to take a WR with the 2 if all the WR are gone before 18. Could get a Zay Jones or Juju as a fall back

Edited by socaltitan

Just now, socaltitan said:

I'm surprised King isn't getting a bit more hype. A 6'3 200 CB who can run like he can is rare. 

The long legs show up sometimes when he redirects or moves his feet, but he's really well coached and will hit. Viewed holistically I think he's an excellent prospect. His combine numbers are better than what he is on the field, but he's really coordinated for his size and is an above average athlete there too.

10 hours ago, Jonboy said:

I would lose my mind if we trade down and took Howard, then Davis/Ross, and then King/White in early round 2. 

That one-handed INT against ASU? Whooo boy... :cj2k:

I am really hoping King is one of our unknown visits. I think Conley is thr CB we are going to target but I would love for white to be in consideration.

On 4/20/2017 at 2:15 PM, Cyrus said:

The long legs show up sometimes when he redirects or moves his feet, but he's really well coached and will hit. Viewed holistically I think he's an excellent prospect. His combine numbers are better than what he is on the field, but he's really coordinated for his size and is an above average athlete there too.

On 4/20/2017 at 2:01 PM, Jonboy said:

Like Kevin King a lot.

What do you guys think about this line from Zierlien on King given reports that Titans are looking more towards man press corners?  "Might be best suited to more zone coverage or off-man based on his speed limitations, but in either scheme he'll need to improve his aggressiveness as a tackler."

Kinda turned me off on King.

On 4/19/2017 at 9:43 PM, Jonboy said:

Not sure if it's evident in my voice or not...but I'm so stoked for this draft.

Great podcast.

I'm shaking with excitement for this draft. Draft day is Christmas fucking morning for me. I watch every second of the draft with my bro (Seahawks fan) and 2-3 draft magazines right next to me.  I've maintained that Jamal Adams/Corey Davis is my dream 1st round and I'm sticking to it. 

On 4/20/2017 at 1:23 PM, Cyrus said:

Okay - you guys have me thinking about where they may draft a corner now. (8:05 mark). Here's my quick impressions of the CBs.

Tre'Davious White - Really good first impression. (TAM game). Good size, build for the position. Has spatial awareness, knows where the sticks are and is patient reading the play. Solid tackler who is an able force corner (strong side of the formation). Average hands but sees the play. Could be very solid nickel corner or outside corner in the right scheme. Seems like above average athlete. Late first, early second kind of guy.

Watch him against Wisconsin and Florida. If you liked him after the A&M game, you'll be 100% on him after those games. I think he'll be a top consideration for us. I just can't figure out if he's worth it at 18 or would be there after a trade down to the late 1st, early 2nd.

On 4/21/2017 at 9:40 PM, Jonboy said:

Watch him against Wisconsin and Florida. If you liked him after the A&M game, you'll be 100% on him after those games. I think he'll be a top consideration for us. I just can't figure out if he's worth it at 18 or would be there after a trade down to the late 1st, early 2nd.

Hopefully Conley, King, and White are all still there at 18. In theory, if they want a CB, they could trade down and still get one.