Episode 135 - NFL Draft Preview Part 2

Jonboy

One thing to keep in mind is JRob might be getting too much benefit of the doubt too fast. He had one successful year. It's entirely possible it was a fluke. Even if it wasn't and he's generally an above average GM he's still going to have a bad year here or there.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think some combination of OJ Howard, Kevin King, Tredavious White, John Ross and Corey Davis would be an excellent Top 50 start for the Titans. 

I would lose my mind if we trade down and took Howard, then Davis/Ross, and then King/White in early round 2.  That one-handed INT against ASU? Whooo boy... 

What have you changed your mind on during the draft process, if anything? Could be team needs, likelihood of drafting a position not related to moves, a player you like less or more or more then less.

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

One thing to keep in mind is JRob might be getting too much benefit of the doubt too fast. He had one successful year. It's entirely possible it was a fluke. Even if it wasn't and he's generally an above average GM he's still going to have a bad year here or there.

The Murray trade was easy value once compensation was known, but he made it and not other GMs. The draft trades weren't great in value but he got Conklin who turned out well (though overhyped because media relies PFF). DGB was obvious to people paying attention and JRob didn't get much for him... but Kelly turned out useful. Kline wasn't actually good, just less maddeningly inconsistent than Warmack.

Nothing is individually great in terms of his neck on the line or a huge risk or abasing value... but it's all great because the fit was right and the player produced. One or two examples like this? Maybe it's luck. But last year proved that he has an eye not for talent but for talent fit. I think that will go a long way long term, even with a worse batting average.

That said, fans are obviously overconfident in the things deemed successes. That's what fans do.

1 minute ago, 8MM said:

JRob finding it easy to get rid of the old regime, how long does he hang on to his?

Good question that will absolutely be worth revisiting when the time comes.

Good show guys. If we pick at five then I think it's Adams and we grab Ross or Davis at 18. In that scenario I see us going Sutton or Lewis in the third to go with Kittles. If we trade I think it's one of Lattimore, Howard, or Hooker at 10 or 12. In that scenario I still think we go WR at 18, but then I think we grab a guy like Tankersely or Adorree Jackson in the second.

This draft is going to be wild. Was kind of funny to me that the six guys you mentioned are all favorites of mine, but I would add Hooker and McCaffery to that list. 

7 hours ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Good show guys. If we pick at five then I think it's Adams and we grab Ross or Davis at 18. In that scenario I see us going Sutton or Lewis in the third to go with Kittles. If we trade I think it's one of Lattimore, Howard, or Hooker at 10 or 12. In that scenario I still think we go WR at 18, but then I think we grab a guy like Tankersely or Adorree Jackson in the second.

This draft is going to be wild. Was kind of funny to me that the six guys you mentioned are all favorites of mine, but I would add Hooker and McCaffery to that list. 

This is certainly a plausible scenario. I completely agree about the 3rd round and 18.

I think Allen, Barnette, and Williams are also in play at 5. They have had a lot of meetings with a lot of safeties for later in the draft, so I'm not so sure they take Adams at 5. I'd say he is in play though.

I can hopefully listen to the podcast today.

Good podcast, lots of good info and insight, great job guys.

If we stay at our current picks in the first and 3rd round, an overly simplistic point of view might be shoot for 2 pass catchers and 2 secondary. 

I would love for the Browns to trade up to 5 and get their QB, that would be cheers and beers in my living room.

Edited by Tex in a Can

Okay - you guys have me thinking about where they may draft a corner now. (8:05 mark). Here's my quick impressions of the CBs.

Tre'Davious White - Really good first impression. (TAM game). Good size, build for the position. Has spatial awareness, knows where the sticks are and is patient reading the play. Solid tackler who is an able force corner (strong side of the formation). Average hands but sees the play. Could be very solid nickel corner or outside corner in the right scheme. Seems like above average athlete. Late first, early second kind of guy.

Adoree' Jackson - Below average first impression. (Stanford) Looks like average athlete on the field. Has above average speed, but otherwise unimpressive. Plays bail technique often and will play very soft. Lacks ball awareness. Doesn't seem to know where the ball is going. Looks underdeveloped for an NFL prospect. Late round kind of guy. 

Sidney Jones - Writing from memory here. Excellent all-around athlete. Lean, but has speed and quickness. Physical cover corner. Can see the play develop and has ball skills. Lacks bulk but otherwise has all the traits to be a top cover corner. Concern is he could be bullied by stronger, bigger receivers but could be a scrapper. Top 15-20 talent. Injury clouds his draft position.

Marshon Lattimore - Very athletic, very fluid. Excellent speed. You're going to need to teach him how to play corner though because he really doesn't play with much technique. He can get grabby on the shorter routes where he struggles to anticipate. He can run down the field with anyone (but John Ross). Interviews and other information I'm not privy to will determine where he goes. If teams have confidence he can learn, he'll go Top 10. If not, probably go Top 20 based on traits. If you run mostly man you may feel more comfortable letting him chase around receivers, but I think he'll struggle against smarter, quicker receivers early on. I don't think he's ready. I wouldn't take him Top 5. (pasted from another post of mine).

Gareon Conley - Average first impression (Clemson). Average overall athlete with some straight line speed. Average feet in technique. Will play with a sloppy base which compromises his quickness. Good hands and can make the play if it comes to him. Lacks a physical edge. Just very average all-around. Looks like a 3rd to 4th round guy. 

Chidobe Awuzi - Very poor first impression. (Stanford). Lacks ball awareness. Slow to react. Can have slow feet. Very good size, but otherwise, not many traits. Game lacks a sense of urgency. Plays very reactively. Watched some of Washington game to understand why he's considered an NFL prospect. Size/Speed flier. Looks like a 6-7th round guy. Couldn't even tackle John Ross at the LOS with two hands on him.

Kevin King - Very positive first impression (Alabama). Fun to watch with his size. Surprisingly fluid for 6-3. Above average athlete. Love to watch him hit and tackle. Involved and physical. Can bail and cover vertically. Can look a little slow in transition due to length, but is very coordinated. Watched some of ASU game as well and made a huge play. These UW guys can ball. Smart and well coached. First round guy.

Edited by Cyrus

10 minutes ago, Cyrus said:

Okay - you guys have me thinking about where they may draft a corner now. (8:05 mark). Here's my quick impressions of the CBs.

Tre'Davious White - Really good first impression. (TAM game). Good size, build for the position. Has spatial awareness, knows where the sticks are and is patient reading the play. Solid tackler who is an able force corner (strong side of the formation). Average hands but sees the play. Could be very solid nickel corner or outside corner in the right scheme. Seems like above average athlete. Late first, early second kind of guy.

Adoree' Jackson - Below average first impression. (Stanford) Looks like average athlete on the field. Has above average speed, but otherwise unimpressive. Plays bail technique often and will play very soft. Lacks ball awareness. Doesn't seem to know where the ball is going. Looks underdeveloped for an NFL prospect. Late round kind of guy. 

Sidney Jones - Writing from memory here. Excellent all-around athlete. Lean, but has speed and quickness. Physical cover corner. Can see the play develop and has ball skills. Lacks bulk but otherwise has all the traits to be a top cover corner. Concern is he could be bullied by stronger, bigger receivers but could be a scrapper. Top 15-20 talent. Injury clouds his draft position.

Marshon Lattimore - Very athletic, very fluid. Excellent speed. You're going to need to teach him how to play corner though because he really doesn't play with much technique. He can get grabby on the shorter routes where he struggles to anticipate. He can run down the field with anyone (but John Ross). Interviews and other information I'm not privy to will determine where he goes. If teams have confidence he can learn, he'll go Top 10. If not, probably go Top 20 based on traits. If you run mostly man you may feel more comfortable letting him chase around receivers, but I think he'll struggle against smarter, quicker receivers early on. I don't think he's ready. I wouldn't take him Top 5. (pasted from another post of mine).

Gareon Conley - Average first impression (Clemson). Average overall athlete with some straight line speed. Average feet in technique. Will play with a sloppy base which compromises his quickness. Good hands and can make the play if it comes to him. Lacks a physical edge. Just very average all-around. Looks like a 3rd to 4th round guy. 

Chidobe Awuzi - Very poor first impression. (Stanford). Lacks ball awareness. Slow to react. Can have slow feet. Very good size, but otherwise, not many traits. Game lacks a sense of urgency. Plays very reactively. Watched some of Washington game to understand why he's considered an NFL prospect. Size/Speed flier. Looks like a 6-7th round guy. Couldn't even tackle John Ross at the LOS with two hands on him.

Pretty spot on, good job.