2017 Draft Profile: Marlon Humphrey, CB, Alabama

Jonboy

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This guy is going to be absolutely league average, at best.    

Williams did not destroy Humphrey. He had one big catch against Humphrey and did the bulk of his damage against other defenders. That's just a myth that keeps getting peddled around because it was suc

1 hour ago, Bongo59 said:

He has a lot of things in his game that would worry me.  Williams ate him alive and his head is bad.  He does not look for the ball and he is really bad in the red zone because he does not locate ball well.  

How many catches did Williams have against Humphrey in the championship game?

34 minutes ago, siamesedinasour said:

How many catches did Williams have against Humphrey in the championship game?

It wasn't as many as I thought I remembered. I went back and watched and I think he really only beat him on 2 plays. 

There was one TD that looked like a miscommunication between Humphrey and another guy. Humphrey sees what's happening and tries to make up for the other player's mistake, but ends up coming into view just as Williams catches it, which makes it look like he was the guy responsible when he really wasn't.

40 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

It wasn't as many as I thought I remembered. I went back and watched and I think he really only beat him on 2 plays. 

There was one TD that looked like a miscommunication between Humphrey and another guy. Humphrey sees what's happening and tries to make up for the other player's mistake, but ends up coming into view just as Williams catches it, which makes it look like he was the guy responsible when he really wasn't.

It's funny how often it gets said that Humphrey got destroyed by Williams, but like you, I only remember maybe one or two plays that Williams even made a catch on Humphrey, and neither were huge gains. When Williams made his catches, it was usually Anthony Averett on him. I think Humphrey even made a deflection on Williams. I'm not necessarily advocating Humphrey, but I think his getting beat by Williams is an unfair criticism.

1. He improves your run D by starting at corner. Sweeps and tosses to his side are out of the question. WR screens towards him are also a bad idea. This is the most physical corner Ive ever seen in the draft.

2. His issue with the deep ball is that he presses his man so agressively on the stem. This isnt a flaw as much as it is a style. It is a weakness that comes with playing WRs as aggressively as he does. When turning and running he matches any WR stride for stride. He doesn't have top end ball skills but can make plays on it. If a coach wants he can have him re-route stems less and play off more, where his speed will be more apparent, but I think thats wrong. Let him re-route guys, because most of the go routes that got behind him had their timing thrown off to end up incomplete.

Williams did not destroy Humphrey. He had one big catch against Humphrey and did the bulk of his damage against other defenders. That's just a myth that keeps getting peddled around because it was such an iconic catch. The weird thing about Marlon is that he actually has really good hands for a CB. Usually if he gets his hands on it, he's catching it. His issue is he struggles to find the ball on deep throws which is pretty alarming but I think is coachable. His biggest issue, IMO, is that for a guy who damn near runs 4.3 he allows WAY too much separation down field and it happens too often. What scares me most is that I have no clue what the problem is and because of this I can't exactly say it's fixable. It reminds me SO much of the problems with Dee Milliner a few years ago; all the athleticism in the world but keeps letting less athletic guys get behind him. I really want to rate him higher because he has all the tools and is the most physical CB I've seen in a long time but he scares me.

3 hours ago, Soxcat said:

Humphrey is a young McCourty.  He will play decently but will never be a shut down guy.  He is too stiff to lock on and shut guys down and QBs that can throw the back shoulder and quick slant will expose him.  Decent player and maybe worth the #18 pick but we could get someone more agile and equally as fast later.  Even in the 3rd round.  Humphrey will get drafted earlier than his talent indicates because he went to Bama, people know him and he has a good size speed ratio. 

IMO Sims with more reps is as good of a CB if not better.  Sims has similar size and is fast.  Sims just took a huge leap in competition and is still learning.  IMO in a few years Sims will as good if not better.  Imagine Sims at Bama sitting a few years and playing well for a few years.  A guy like that would be talked about as a 1st round prospect.  Sims is a solid 6'0 and 200 pounds and ran a 4.53.  Jumped 37 inches.  The kid is better than people think.  Showed he was a pretty solid tackler as well. 

McCourty is EXACTLY who I think of with Humphrey as well. Good size & build, very good speed, strong, good tackler, but cannot play the ball down the field.

I think PFF is right. He'd be best off as a safety or a Tampa 2 corner, he's excellent when the play is in front of him because he can tackle & has good ball skills. But you're asking for trouble on deep routes if you want him to play man.

He had an elite front and was really untested......this is the knock on all ALA CB's.  when they get to the show they get exposed.......I thin Kirpatrick si a fine CB now......Humphery is not gonna be solid until he learns the pro game......He could also bust like Jet CB from Bama who got by because of their front........He has issues and so many CB in this draft do not have issues.  Look at my POD CB from WVU........I'd take him over Humphery for the opposite reasons.  He got exposed by the scheme and won......a lot.  He is way more physical and plays better press and finds the ball and we can get him in round 4 or 5.  

19 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

Williams did not destroy Humphrey. He had one big catch against Humphrey and did the bulk of his damage against other defenders. That's just a myth that keeps getting peddled around because it was such an iconic catch. The weird thing about Marlon is that he actually has really good hands for a CB. Usually if he gets his hands on it, he's catching it. His issue is he struggles to find the ball on deep throws which is pretty alarming but I think is coachable. His biggest issue, IMO, is that for a guy who damn near runs 4.3 he allows WAY too much separation down field and it happens too often. What scares me most is that I have no clue what the problem is and because of this I can't exactly say it's fixable. It reminds me SO much of the problems with Dee Milliner a few years ago; all the athleticism in the world but keeps letting less athletic guys get behind him. I really want to rate him higher because he has all the tools and is the most physical CB I've seen in a long time but he scares me.

I was gonna say, the narrative that he was destroyed by Williams is not true at all, it was the one catch.

But I'm not sure finding the deep ball is very coachabe. I know you played corner so you'd know better than me but it seems like something that's natural, like tracking the ball over the shoulder for a WR.

Youre right about his physicality though. I kind of wish we knew what scheme DLB wants to run. Last year he blitzed a ton & played a lot of cover 1 & even 0. Perhaps he figured the corners were so bad this was his best bet, I'm not sure. His best defenses in Pittsburgh though always featured pretty conservative coverages in the secondary, a lot of zone. He wanted to get 3rd & longs to blitz & get the ball out quickly, in front of the 1st down marker, so the corners had to tackle. Humphrey is perfect for this D.

Kirkpatrick took awhile to develop. Even then, I don't think he's a premier CB by any stretch. I have the same concerns with Humphrey, but seems like a lot of teams like him. I hope they go in another direction, but it wouldn't surprise me if we pick him.

4 hours ago, Bongo59 said:

He has a lot of things in his game that would worry me.  Williams ate him alive and his head is bad.  He does not look for the ball and he is really bad in the red zone because he does not locate ball well.  

This is my problem with him....he can't locate the ball down the field & Im not sure that's something that can be coached.