Sign in to follow this  
Alcibiades

2011 Defensive Line

So what will our DL look like this year? Will Casey be playing early? If Brown is still here, I think he and Jones will start, so it will be hard for Casey to get in much. But I think he would be a good fit on first down, because he is stout compared to our other DTs. He doesn't weigh a lot, but it's all low because of his height.

Also, will Ayers get involved at DE on passing downs, or is he solely a LB with pass rush ability?

What about Karl Klug? What position can he play? He seems like a 3-4 DE maybe, but we don't run that. I guess in the new hybrid scheme (whatever that will mean) he might get some time that way. But he can he play at all in the 4-3?

Zach Clayton seems like PS material at this point.

reo   

Casey will play early and often imo. And I bet they bring in another big vet DT. I think Brown is done and Jones will play some strong side DE and then move to DT on passing downs. Klug will rotate in at DE w/ Jones while Morgan and possibly Babin will rotate on the weak side.

Ayers will play the SAM and tight on the TE and he'll blitz a lot. I could easily see them going w/ 3 down linemen on passing downs w/ Ayers being either a stand up rusher or falling back into coverage.

I like that idea. Ayers has good size and seems to be pretty instinctive. His workout speed concerned people, but he sure seems to play fast in every video. Hopefully, it translates onto the field.

Are there any big vet DTs out there? Those guys are rare and they are always a hot commodity, which is why guys like Big Al and Shaun Rogers can keep getting hired, whatever crap attitudes they might have.

Jones and Brown are essentially same player, penetrating 3 techniques. They need a big DT to pair with Jones with Brown coming off the bench. Hopefully Casey can be that guy. Morgan will hold down one spot at DE but I wonder who will play opposite him?

reo   

AH and Rodgers are different from most big DTs but they're not the types we're looking for either. Those guys especially AH is a 1 gap penetrater. he just happens to have a lot of size that helps him do his job but it's his quickness that really does the job. It seems like we're going away from that a little and going toward more big DTs that take up blockers ala Casey. Those are easier to find but I don't know the names well enough to point any out really.

They might still pair Casey w/ a guy like Jones but I seriously doubt that'll be their base set. I bet their base D will be 2 big run stuffers in the middle which means we need another one... I just don't know who.

Jones and Brown are essentially same player, penetrating 3 techniques. They need a big DT to pair with Jones with Brown coming off the bench. Hopefully Casey can be that guy. Morgan will hold down one spot at DE but I wonder who will play opposite him?

from the sounds of it, it seems like they might be going w/ 2 big run stuffers in the middle and not any penetrating DTs like Jones or Brown.. at least not on early downs which is why w/ Ayers playing up tight on the LOS on most plays to set the edge, I'm betting Jones moves outside to end. Morgan being the main DE on the weak side.

Interesting take Reo. You think Jones slides outside in the base set and then back inside on passing downs? You don't think Jones is a big part of their plans?

reo   

Interesting take Reo. You think Jones slides outside in the base set and then back inside on passing downs? You don't think Jones is a big part of their plans?

Not from the way they're talking. They seem to want some big guys in the middle. I could see them moving Jones inside on passing downs pretty easily but they want big guys to take up blockers in the middle and that's not Jones. Jones is a guy that wants to beat you off the snap w/ his quickness which could still be useful outside imo especially w/ TEs in on the play.

I don't think Reo is saying that at all. IMO, Jones is probably one of, if not THE, key piece to the D-Line puzzle. He can play both the DE and DT positions. Using him in multiple positions is the plan, I believe.

Rocker was on the radio yesterday, and said that he believes that JJ has a great future on the outside, but can play any position on the line. So take that for what its worth.

reo   

I don't think Reo is saying that at all. IMO, Jones is probably one of, if not THE, key piece to the D-Line puzzle. He can play both the DE and DT positions. Using him in multiple positions is the plan, I believe.

Rocker was on the radio yesterday, and said that he believes that JJ has a great future on the outside, but can play any position on the line. So take that for what its worth.

Interesting. That's the first real quote from a coach that backs up what i've been expecting for Jones.

Interesting. That's the first real quote from a coach that backs up what i've been expecting for Jones.

Some more notes from him:

He believes that you have to have a firm rotation on the d-line, but as the game goes on, you have to have your best players on the field.

Stopping the run 100% comes first.

Derrick Morgan: very excited to coach him, watched him in college. Self-motivated and has great upside

Interior Line: Have to solidify the inside to make sure run can be stopped. Expect big changes within the interior.

Jason Jones: Has the ability to play multiple positions, understands inside and out. With his body type, he has a future on the outside (with due time).

Tony Brown: Makes Rocker feel great that he is getting healthy because of veteran qualities, but will see in due time what happens.

Nick Fairley: Not upset that Titans didn't draft him. Did his part in preparing Fairley for the NFL and glad he is going to a solid D-Line team.

LISTEN HERE: http://1045thezone.com/FlashPlayer/default.asp?SPID=23300&ID=2212424

reo   

yeah, i don't think Brown is in their plans at all really and that doesn't really help him out... but i didn't listen to it yet, just read what you said.

Omar   

Some more notes from him:

He believes that you have to have a firm rotation on the d-line, but as the game goes on, you have to have your best players on the field.

Stopping the run 100% comes first.

Derrick Morgan: very excited to coach him, watched him in college. Self-motivated and has great upside

Interior Line: Have to solidify the inside to make sure run can be stopped. Expect big changes within the interior.

Jason Jones: Has the ability to play multiple positions, understands inside and out. With his body type, he has a future on the outside (with due time).

Tony Brown: Makes Rocker feel great that he is getting healthy because of veteran qualities, but will see in due time what happens.

Nick Fairley: Not upset that Titans didn't draft him. Did his part in preparing Fairley for the NFL and glad he is going to a solid D-Line team.

LISTEN HERE: http://1045thezone.com/FlashPlayer/default.asp?SPID=23300&ID=2212424

Good stuff..thanks for the recap

CMJ   

Our 2011 DL-squad may still not be determined (I hope anyway).

I'm hoping we will sign one or two FAs and shore it up a little more.

Think Marks is done as a Titan? Too many injuries?

I don't know if it's injuries or he's completely out of his depth but I think this season is his last chance in TN.