Sign in to follow this  
Jonboy

2017 NFL Draft Rumors & Buzz OT

On 3/5/2017 at 6:24 AM, OILERMAN said:

The Titans played 2 TE sets the most and 3 TE sets the 2nd most last season out of all formations.

Why would Walker have to sit down if they drafted Howard?

Do you know where you got this information from?  The data I see shows 1 TE was used more, but it is going to take me a bit to compile the data into something I can post.  Just wondering if you based this on actual data or something someone else said.

Edited by Jas

26 minutes ago, Jas said:

Do you know where you got this information from?  The data I see shows 1 TE was used more, but it is going to take me a bit to compile the data into something I can post.  Just wondering if you based this on actual data or something someone else said.

Off memory it was something Kuharsky posted and I must admit I was curious about the 3 TE sets being 2nd most common, didn't seem right. 

If it came from ESPN it could easily be incorrect 

47 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Off memory it was something Kuharsky posted and I must admit I was curious about the 3 TE sets being 2nd most common, didn't seem right. 

If it came from ESPN it could easily be incorrect 

Maybe 2 and 3 TE were used more when the QB was under center or when the score was tied or when leading or some other situational stat.  It wasn't based purely on number of plays though.  The information I'm looking at from the NFL shows every unique lineup used and how many snaps they were used and I summarized it below.

In this data, a WR is one of the WRs (Matthews, Sharpe, etc) and not a RB or TE lined up as a WR.  Likewise, a FB is Fowler and not one of the TEs lined up as a FB.  I differentiated between TE and OLTE, which is one of the OL (Kelly) lined up as a TE.

Here are the number of plays including the pass/run percentage based on different personnel -

401 plays (77.1% pass, 22.9% run) 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE
192 plays (42.7% pass, 57.3% run) 1 RB, 2 WR, 2 TE
90 plays (31.1% pass, 68.9% run) 1 RB, 1 WR, 3 TE
78 plays (28.2% pass, 71.8% run) 1 RB, 1 FB, 2 WR, 1 TE
65 plays (13.8% pass, 86.2% run) 1 RB, 1 FB, 1 WR, 2 TE
47 plays (80.9% pass, 19.1% run) 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE
22 plays (22.7% pass, 77.3% run) 1 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 OLTE
22 plays (22.7% pass, 77.3% run) 1 RB, 1 WR, 2 TE, 1 OLTE
17 plays (11.8% pass, 88.2% run) 2 RB, 1 WR, 2 TE
16 plays (18.8% pass, 81.3% run) 1 RB, 1 FB, 1 WR, 1 TE, 1 OLTE
14 plays (57.1% pass, 42.9% run) 1 RB, 4 WR
10 plays (30.0% pass, 70.0% run) 2 RB, 1 FB, 1 WR, 1 TE
9 plays (44.4% pass, 55.6% run) 2 RB, 3 WR
9 plays (11.1% pass, 88.9% run) 1 RB, 1 FB, 2 TE, 1 OLTE
7 plays (100.0% pass, 0.0% run) 2 WR, 3 TE
5 plays (100.0% pass, 0.0% run) 3 WR, 2 TE
3 plays (33.3% pass, 66.7% run) 1 RB, 1 FB, 3 WR
2 plays (0.0% pass, 100.0% run) 1 RB, 1 FB, 3 TE
1 plays (0.0% pass, 100.0% run) 1 RB, 1 FB, 2 WR, 1 OLTE
1 plays (0.0% pass, 100.0% run) No QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 TE
1 plays (0.0% pass, 100.0% run) No QB, 2 RB, 1 WR, 3 TE

To further summarize based on just the number of TEs on the field (including Kelly as a TE)
537 plays with 1 TE
318 plsys with 2 TE
131 plays with 3 TE
26 plays with 0 TE

2 WR 2 TE was definitely more run/pass balanced with the majority of passing plays using 3 WR 1 TE.  Adding another TE who can block and also be a real receiving threat could allow them to stay in 2 TE more often and keep the defense more off balance.  But that assumes Mularkey/Robiskie would want to use a 2nd TE in the passing game more instead of 3 WR.  

9 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

It wouldn't shock me to see someone like the Bills trade up with Jacksonville to take Howard there.

Jags are such a wildcard, they could go Howard or Fournette or the top pass rusher available given Coughlin's history.

their biggest need other than QB is OL, a trade back from 4 to take a OT and get extra picks would make a lot of sense for them.

1 hour ago, Jas said:

But that assumes Mularkey/Robiskie would want to use a 2nd TE in the passing game more instead of 3 WR.  

You use what you have... right now we are understaffed at both positions.

3 hours ago, Jonboy said:

It wouldn't shock me to see someone like the Bills trade up with Jacksonville to take Howard there.

They traded up 4 spots and gave up the next year 1st round pick for a WR. Trading a 2nd rounder to move up into the top 5 for a TE sounds like a Bills move.

Mike Mularkey on why his club made an aggressive free-agent pitch to sign former Patriots cornerback Logan Ryan (three years, $30 million): “Tough, dependable and he has rings to show his success. We like what he is off the field as much of what he is on the field. He’s had four years of production, and that’s what you want to see -- consistency.” The Ryan signing is a good example of what Mularkey means when he talks about the synergy between him and second-year general manager Jon Robinson, in terms of their “consistent message” of what they want their team to be. “We have the same beliefs in how we want to build the roster, and players see that. We’re bringing in those types of players, and we’re not keeping the ones that aren’t,” Mularkey said.

8 hours ago, Jas said:

I wasn't sure about the breakdown  % wise until you showed it but I read a few times that we lined up in heavier sets (basically any set less than 3 wide) more than anybody last year. 

I believe we also kept more blockers per pass play than anybody as well. 

So I assume,at least relative to this era, that we use more blockers & less receiving options than other teams on pass plays, but most likely had more downfield routes.