Damian Williams

Number9

I have always thought a big part of the Titans receiver woes was they just don't throw the ball enough. So the receivers never get a chance to get into any kind of rhythm with the qbs. Year after year, they bring in guys and let them go without much actual playing time. Damian Williams was thought to have some good potential coming into the league, now he's getting a chance to play. IIRC, he was supposed to be smart and a good route runner. He's not the solution for a number one, but it looks like he will be solid depth. He made a nice move on his TD run Sunday.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ultimately my opinion comes down to this: Make WR a position of strength instead of allowing it to become a weakness like years past. Good receivers keep your offense on schedule and can really help y

The Titans will have a very good idea where Britt is in his recovery come draft time. If he's good to go Washington and Williams make a solid trio. I would even consider bringing Curtis back if he's w

I agree and if it was just about the one injury then I wouldn't even consider drafting a WR in the first... which is why I was originally against it but it's not just about this injury. He's been

I like DW but he could be in an odd spot next year b/c the Titans can't trust Britt. That means we could very easily draft a WR early, possibly 1st round and then if Britt is actually healthy and the rookie plays well then DW could be fighting for the slot w/ Nate.

I have liked what I've seen from DW though especially that TD catch vs the Bengals.

It was refreshing to see him make that play. I honestly can't remember the last time a Titans WR turned a short to medium range catch into a long TD by making people miss.

it was a good play after the catch but a bonehead route before it. He has to get that route beyond the 1st down marker.

I like DW but he could be in an odd spot next year b/c the Titans can't trust Britt. That means we could very easily draft a WR early, possibly 1st round and then if Britt is actually healthy and the rookie plays well then DW could be fighting for the slot w/ Nate.

I have liked what I've seen from DW though especially that TD catch vs the Bengals.

it was a good play after the catch but a bonehead route before it. He has to get that route beyond the 1st down marker.

It will be interesting to see how he develops during the rest of the season. Maybe he can make a good case for himself and they have to find ways to use him. I think the plan is to throw the ball a lot, so they will need as many good receivers as they can get.

I'm definitely encouraged by his play. He's got great hands and good body control. I think he's a very solid 2nd WR w/ potentially to be a very good 2nd WR.

Britt really puts him in a hard spot though. I can't see them going into next year depending on Britt, they supposedly questioned how wise it was to depend on him this week but couldn't sign their rumored targets. So again if they draft another WR in the 1st and then Britt actually does make it a season, DW will be fighting for playing time in the slot w/ Nate.

It would be a good problem to have though.

I still think and hope we go for Blackmon in the draft. The kid is going to be a fuckin' stud.

I'm horrible at judging WRs coming out. i'm pretty good at figuring out what the FO will do by figuring out their logic and I'm decent at judging corners (insert Mays joke here even though he's a safety) and DEs but I'm horrible w/ WRs. They just don't look impressive to me generally. The last one to really impress me coming out was Calvin Johnson but seriously... that's Calvin Johnson. That's like saying Shaq was tall and big.

If there is any benefit to having Britt out (and there really isn't), its seeing DWill get the ball more and seeing him refine his skills more and more.

He needs to bring it again Sunday.

The Titans will have a very good idea where Britt is in his recovery come draft time. If he's good to go Washington and Williams make a solid trio. I would even consider bringing Curtis back if he's willing to sign for the minimum. Under this scenario WR is not a massive need. They could add a few rookie developmental guys through the draft. Now if in the first round a play making WR is there then they can take him because you figure Washington could be gone in a year or two and for insurance for Britt.

The Titans will have a very good idea where Britt is in his recovery come draft time. If he's good to go Washington and Williams make a solid trio. I would even consider bringing Curtis back if he's willing to sign for the minimum. Under this scenario WR is not a massive need. They could add a few rookie developmental guys through the draft. Now if in the first round a play making WR is there then they can take him because you figure Washington could be gone in a year or two and for insurance for Britt.

I agree and if it was just about the one injury then I wouldn't even consider drafting a WR in the first... which is why I was originally against it but it's not just about this injury.

He's been injured every year and last year he had a lot of relatively minor off field incidents... nothing major but a lot of minor ones which begs the question, can you trust him? Can you go into next year banking on him being healthy even the majority of the season and being your primary target when he hasn't been healthy for an entire season yet? I'm not sure if you can.

Which is why I think drafting a WR early might be the best thing. Best case, Britt comes on strong and plays the entire season and you've got 2 big dominate WRs w/ 2 solid guys competing in the slot, worst case you lose Britt and you've still got a hopefully very talented and promising rookie... alright worst case they both go down and you've got the same thing you would've had. "worst case" being worst managable/planable case i guess.

I don't think Williams is playing well just because he is getting the ball thrown his way. I think he is playing well because he is getting better. He was decent last year in his #3 role and he is starting to blossum. It actually happens with most NFL WRs that they don't really start to produce until year 2 or 3. It is easy to put a cap on how good a guy can be by watching a few games (also his draft position) and I'd guess by the posts nobody sees him as much more than a solid #2 WR but right now he has taken away Washington's role as our #1 when Britt went down and is playing very well.

Washington has also stepped up his game and since he has 3 years left on his deal I'm not sure using an early pick on a WR is the right thing to do unless of course there is a true stud we can't pass up. We have other more pressing needs even with Britt being injury prone.

So with the improved play by both Washington and Williams, and I'd anticipate Williams can get even better, I could see MR looking at a WR a little later in the draft where he can get value (like he did with Williams) and use those earlier picks on more critical positions. We still need some help on defense and OL. I'd love to use an earlier pick on a real good center to anchor the middle of the OL for years to come. Getting stronger on the interior of the OL helps everyone out.

I agree on Williams but see above for my thoughts on drafting a WR.

When it comes to interior OL, I think we can get a very talented but raw guy in the 2nd that this coaching staff can coach up ala Roos. Normally the best all around guys will go in the late 1st and then you're left w/ either very talented but raw or very refined but less talented. I think we'll have our pick between the 2 types and we'll get a very talented but raw OG/C in the 2nd or at least have the possibility of getting one.

I really like Williams' skill set but I think his explosiveness/speed off the line limits him as an outside receiver. His TD came from the slot came when he was given some open space to put a move on defenders and I think that's where he'll continually do well. Of course you can still run all the deep routes from the slot too so he can still have a big role in this offense. Washington doesn't have a place on this team. He's been unproductive and the Titans are basically using him to run off coverage and occasionally catch some short throws for yards after the catch. (Crossing routes).

Williams would be an excellent slot / 3rd receiver with enough ability to play outside when there's injuries. I think the team can add some very good talent in the second round this year and add some weapons outside for Locker.

Also, for WRs in the draft you have to get them in the Top 75 (First to early mid 3rd round). Virtually no prominent receivers come in the 4th round or later unless they're from small schools (Typically Div. II FCS).

I think next year everything is going to change with Locker behind center. alot less precision. Britt is the only WR we have that I think can be successfull in any style offense cause he is that much better than others on the field. It will be interesting to see who steps up with the new QB.

I don't see the Titans going WR early in the draft unless Britt is not going well with his recovery.

I really like Williams' skill set but I think his explosiveness/speed off the line limits him as an outside receiver. His TD came from the slot came when he was given some open space to put a move on defenders and I think that's where he'll continually do well. Of course you can still run all the deep routes from the slot too so he can still have a big role in this offense. Washington doesn't have a place on this team. He's been unproductive and the Titans are basically using him to run off coverage and occasionally catch some short throws for yards after the catch. (Crossing routes).

Williams would be an excellent slot / 3rd receiver with enough ability to play outside when there's injuries. I think the team can add some very good talent in the second round this year and add some weapons outside for Locker.

Also, for WRs in the draft you have to get them in the Top 75 (First to early mid 3rd round). Virtually no prominent receivers come in the 4th round or later unless they're from small schools (Typically Div. II FCS).

That's the thing about WRs. I think just about any WR coming out can be successful and possibly very successful. It's about his route running and knowledge of the offense. If Williams becomes very good at his routes and gets to where the QB wants him to be consistently then he'll be successful. i think a big part of him playing better now is that he's getting better at being where Hass wants/expects him to be. And I think that's what you ideally want at all the WR spots but you definitely want as a 2nd WR. If he can run his routes really well then he'll beat single coverage.

And when it comes to Nate, I think his primary problem now is that he's the primary WR so teams are shutting him down as the primary WR. w/ Hass if the coverage rolls that way, he's not even going to look that way. he's going for his next read who should be in single coverage. It was a little different w/ Britt b/c he'd force it a little more. He won't force it w/ Nate which means he doesn't get the looks. If teams start rolling toward DW some, Nate will get more looks. If Britt was here, we'd probably see Nate doing what DW is doing now. Basically I'm saying it's hard to get a good read on Nate this year.

I don't see the Titans going WR early in the draft unless Britt is not going well with his recovery.

After 3 years of injuries and off field issues, do you think the Titans can trust Britt and depend on him?

We need to add another WR.

Britt goes down again next year, we will be left with same shit we have now.

The FO needs to hedge their bets and add another WR.

Why even risk repeating what we are enduring this year?