(BUMPED) Pat Kirwan on NFL radio saying 2 unnamed GM's say Mularkey is going to "ruin" Mariota, predict he'll wind up on another team

Face

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No, no. It's Mariota ruining Mularkey's last shot.

its hardly surprising that the media are starting to question whether Mariota has regressed under Mularkey's watch. most Titan fans feared this very scenario when he was announced as HC.

So the OC admits he's condensing the field and people are trying to claim it's a version of the spread offense? ? ?

Posted Images

Just now, Jamalisms said:

What a turn around for the Expert Analyst to insist 49,000 posts later (on this iteration of the forum alone) that fans shouldn't discuss teams because they can't be certain.

Can't discuss "teams"...... yea right, that's what I said.

9 hours ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

it might be radical thinking but shouldn't the offense be tailored to the pieces we have rather than trying to stuff players into a system they don't fit into.

Last season, the best players on offense were easily Mariota and Walker ... Mariota showed that he could be a very special player, turning in some very memorable performances.  Using your logic, it would make sense to build around Mariota.

Instead, Mularkey wanted to build an exotic smashmouth offense, taking the game out of Mariota's hands and into the RB beasts he wanted to build this offense around.  With this in mind, he and Robinson acquired Murray and Henry, and now, the offense is a better fit for the RBs than it is for the QB.  It's the QB who has to do all the adjusting.  Why?

“I know people say this is a passing league,” Mularkey said. “I’ll argue with that."

He values old school football.  Imagine what could've happened to Roethlisberger and the Steelers if Cowher was still coaching them, with his old school mentality?  It was Tomlin who had the foresight to turn his offense into a passing team, when it wasn't a popular idea in Pittsburgh.

18 minutes ago, OhNoMularkey said:

Instead, Mularkey wanted to build an exotic smashmouth offense, taking the game out of Mariota's hands and into the RB beasts he wanted to build this offense around.

This isn't true, they have put Mariota in shotgun, spread the field and used hurry up a lot. Against the Raiders in the 2nd half they played more heavy sets and ran the ball but that was likely because of the injuries to the skill people and it was working

12 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Jamal,

You had your mind made up before the season started before seeing anything

You can't admit the offense can improve over time with healthy skill people, added talent and better play at QB? Or it's totally doomed.

Matt Ryan was not ruined under Mularkey's offense and it produced at a high level

Keep in mind that Mularkey wasn't the head coach with Ryan. He was getting marching orders from above. There is no one to reign him in now. 

And I don't remember him running exotic smash mouth in ATL either. 

Edited by japan

8 minutes ago, japan said:

Keep in mind that Mularkey wasn't the head coach with Ryan. He was getting marching orders from above. There is no one to reign him in now. 

I'm pretty sure Mike Smith had absolutely nothing to do with the offensive design. 

1 minute ago, Face said:

I'm pretty sure Mike Smith had absolutely nothing to do with the offensive design. 

I'm pretty sure that if Mularkey came to him with the exotic smash mouth idea he would have killed it immediately. 

I'm really starting to think the whole scheme thing is being massively overblown. I think Cian Fahey had a point that Mariota is best off in an offense that sends out 5 receiving options, where he can use his processing ability & athleticism to spray the ball around & make plays. We probably do keep in more blockers than just about anybody, using less receiving options but sending them deeper. This probably isn't the best fit for him but I think the complete lack of speed at WR is a much bigger issue then the scheme.

BTW this is pretty much the same offense Carolina runs.

2 minutes ago, Face said:

And why would you think this? Because he came from defense? So Belichick doesn't know offense and defers to others? We know Fisher put his imprint on the offense as a defensive guy. 

53 minutes ago, Face said:

I'm really starting to think the whole scheme thing is being massively overblown. I think Cian Fahey had a point that Mariota is best off in an offense that sends out 5 receiving options, where he can use his processing ability & athleticism to spray the ball around & make plays. We probably do keep in more blockers than just about anybody, using less receiving options but sending them deeper. This probably isn't the best fit for him but I think the complete lack of speed at WR is a much bigger issue then the scheme.

BTW this is pretty much the same offense Carolina runs.

Overblown?  WTF are you smokin' Face?

If that is the case, then how can you NOT blame the scheme?  We lack speed so we're sending fewer receivers, and sending them deeper?

That scheme, especially with these players, makes No. Fucking. Sense. At all.  And I don't care who the QB is, it still makes no sense and it can't work.

If that's the scheme you want to run, you better go find a couple of Gronks that can consistently beat the shit out of DBs when it comes time to make the catch.  Even more speed won't fix that.  The DC just positions the FS deeper in the formation.

Edited by TitanDuckFan

1 hour ago, japan said:

And why would you think this? Because he came from defense? So Belichick doesn't know offense and defers to others? We know Fisher put his imprint on the offense as a defensive guy. 

I'm sure he had some general things, like "I want to run the ball a lot this week", but I'd guess that Mularkey had about 95% control of the offense. I'm pretty sure Smith hired Mularkey because of the system he runs, you know what you're getting...more base, more running than most, more blockers on passing plays, etc.

Your point definitely applies to many OC's, Wiz for example is a perfect case. Under McCoy his offense is very Patriots-esque, McCoy has felt out said he prefers a dink & dunk approach. But when on his own he goes all Mike Martz.