Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Save yourself from this cult

But do they crossfit?

Posted Images

1 hour ago, VaTitan said:

grown man boys scouts?  

Closer to this 

It's a fraternal society dedicated to making good men better.

The long version: freemasonry is a beautiful system of morality veiled in allegory and illustrated by certain types and symbols. It's design is to make its members wiser and, consequently, happier. This is accomplished through a series of lectures and degrees which are designed to impress upon the mind wise and serious truths. 

Funny this is the first time I have heard it talked about as a cult. It is actually the very opposite of a religious cult, in that no specific religious belief is required, other than a basic belief in a higher power. And it is absolutely forbidden to discuss religion in the lodge other than a basic notion of a higher power. 

I expected the Simpsons video and some iuminati discussion but the idea it is a cult is honestly surprising. It couldn't be further from a cult. 

3 hours ago, Legaltitan said:

Funny this is the first time I have heard it talked about as a cult. It is actually the very opposite of a religious cult, in that no specific religious belief is required, other than a basic belief in a higher power. And it is absolutely forbidden to discuss religion in the lodge other than a basic notion of a higher power. 

I expected the Simpsons video and some iuminati discussion but the idea it is a cult is honestly surprising. It couldn't be further from a cult. 

Who or what is your higher power? 

Could an atheist join our would they have to claim the Flying Spaghetti Monster as their higher power? 

53 minutes ago, Stranger said:

Who or what is your higher power? 

Could an atheist join our would they have to claim the Flying Spaghetti Monster as their higher power? 

No basically being an atheist is the one thing that will keep you out. 

Although I think in maybe some.other countries or even some states they are doing away with a requirement of a belief in God. 

Each state in the US has its own grand lodge and they can set rules as they like essentially. There is no us grand lodge. In other countries they have their own grand lodge that sets their rules.  

But there are certain "ancient landmarks" all agree on. One of them being that religion and politics aren't discussed in lodge. 

Edited by Legaltitan

4 hours ago, Legaltitan said:

Closer to this 

It's a fraternal society dedicated to making good men better.

The long version: freemasonry is a beautiful system of morality veiled in allegory and illustrated by certain types and symbols. It's design is to make its members wiser and, consequently, happier. This is accomplished through a series of lectures and degrees which are designed to impress upon the mind wise and serious truths. 

But do they crossfit?

My Grandpa and Granddaddy (both sides) were  All In.  My Dad was for quite some time, but non-active for a long time.  He broke out the sash for his Father-in-Law's funeral though, I remember that. 

Only thing I gathered was more or less men gathering to talk about how to do good in the form of community projects.  Probably some shop talk too as it seemed a ton were somehow related to construction, electricians, plumbers, etc.

I think the Christian part was a given considering I'm thinking Goodlettsville area in the 70's. Still remember a school form you filled out at the beginning of the year that had a section where you filled out which church you went to.  Pretty sure they were no correct answers other than a local Baptist/Methodist/CofChrist/Presbyterian.  Cannot not recall any Catholics, much less Jews, etc.  Took me awhile when we moved to Hendersonville ~1980 why the Levy, Goldman and Steinkirschner kids were always getting out of school for "holidays."  Funny how world views are shaped by what you know, and what you don't.

The Blues Brothers line about We Got Both Kinds of Music - Country AND Western, may actually best represent the origin of most conflict in the world.

Now where we?  Freemason cults?  I doubt it.  My Dad is too boring and pragmatic to ritualize much.  Then again, he did get out..... hmmmm....