Nintendo Switch Thread

Jonboy

2 minutes ago, Stranger said:

If it launches with Zelda or Mario, then I could see it maybe having price parity with the base Xbox One at $250, but anything higher than that and I think it will sit on shelves in stores collecting dust. The fact that it seems like Nintendo has given up on getting real 3rd party support means Nintendo can't expect consumers to buy a Nintendo only machine for more than a console that plays literally every other game on the market. The value just isn't there.

Agree completely. It will be interesting to see just how strong Nintendo's IPs are when push comes to shove and if people will actually put their money where their mouth is.

I know I will buy it... at some point. I just hope it will be low enough for day 1.

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My hope is that these ridiculous consoles eventually bankrupts the company, thus turning them into a third party free agent.  Their games are good, but it's increasingly hard to digest the stupid desi

I am leaving my job next week and starting a new one in 2 weeks. I haven't had a week off in 2 years since I have always used sick days here and there and not a full vacation. SO EXCITED that my

Just don't get hit. You don't even have to truly dodge them with the L stick and targeting. They're so slow that you just sit still for a second until they wind up for a swing, then move away out of r

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, wiscotitansfan said:

Agree completely. It will be interesting to see just how strong Nintendo's IPs are when push comes to shove and if people will actually put their money where their mouth is.

I know I will buy it... at some point. I just hope it will be low enough for day 1.

Probably the biggest benefit of its release window is that it's around tax return time.

Anyway, Nintendo IPs are very recognizable for most people, but their IP's certainly didn't help sell the Wii U and despite its short comings and lack of sales, it had some of the best Nintendo games on it I've ever played.

13 hours ago, Yoshimitsu said:

My hope is that these ridiculous consoles eventually bankrupts the company, thus turning them into a third party free agent.  Their games are good, but it's increasingly hard to digest the stupid design decisions.  

You would have to assume the programmers and everyone involved in the games would be able to produce quality games for other platforms, it's not like Nintendo is in a world of it's own so much where they are that pigeon-holed.

SEGA has done a disappointing job being a 3rd party company, but it's not due to lack of quality. They just don't have the insane emotional attachment that Nintendo has prized itself on. If Nintendo does go under in hardware sales, I would hate to see them become a "free agent" and side with only console, their industry attach rate would be astronomical.

https://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/pok-mon-mario-and-zelda-headline-nx-dream-line-up/0170678

Game graphics will be ‘somewhere between a PS3 and PS4’, with Nintendo targeting an audience that sits between smartphone gamers and the more hardcore users of PS4 and Xbox One.

Graphics between the PS3 & PS4? So basically Wii U level graphics again? 

“It’s a nice bit of kit, a bit of a novelty, but a good one,” said one exec that has got hands on with the machine. “It won’t appeal to PS4 fans. Nintendo seems set on trying to upgrade smartphone gamers. That’s going to be a big job for the marketing department.”

I really hope this isn't Nintendo's actual strategy. It's looking more and more like they're trying to recapture the Wii audience. I hope I'm wrong, but I think the NX is going to bomb hard if this is their plan.

4 hours ago, Stranger said:

“It’s a nice bit of kit, a bit of a novelty, but a good one,” said one exec that has got hands on with the machine. “It won’t appeal to PS4 fans. Nintendo seems set on trying to upgrade smartphone gamers. That’s going to be a big job for the marketing department.”

I really hope this isn't Nintendo's actual strategy. It's looking more and more like they're trying to recapture the Wii audience. I hope I'm wrong, but I think the NX is going to bomb hard if this is their plan.

Holy wow, couldn't agree more if that is their actual business plan of the system.

I couldn't think of a worse demographic to try to appeal to when marketing a what will be pretty large "handheld" system. The IPs are great but if you are trying to target the millions of people who are phone gamers who need something to click on to kill time, just no.

6 minutes ago, wiscotitansfan said:

Holy wow, couldn't agree more if that is their actual business plan of the system.

I couldn't think of a worse demographic to try to appeal to when marketing a what will be pretty large "handheld" system. The IPs are great but if you are trying to target the millions of people who are phone gamers who need something to click on to kill time, just no.

I sincerely hope that whoever the source being quoted is is just assuming that this is what Nintendo's plan are and not actually what it is.

If mobile phone owners wanted to be upgraded to a dedicated handheld device to play games on and were okay with paying $40 - $60 per game, then they would have bought a 3DS.

I'm reminding myself that this is all just speculation right now, but assuming it's correct, this thing is going to miss by a large margin, IMO. The amount of people that this product is speculatively aimed at has to be incredibly small. And those that would buy into the idea likely wouldn't buy a ton of games for it when most people want phone apps for free, so the attach rate for that audience is going to be very low.

Nintendo desperately needs to reveal this thing ASAP, because even as a diehard Nintendo fan myself, I find myself debating if I really want a bulky device that's primarily a handheld that can be hooked up to the TV that is aimed at the smartphone market. I'm not interested in that type of experience from Nintendo.

I think Nintendo really should just put money into designing awesome phone apps... Everyone already has handheld devices we can play games on... Maybe they could make something your phone clips into that has all the buttons of their handhelds and uses your phone as the screen. Then you can just buy the apps on the App Store. I'd pay $9.99 or more to have Mario kart or Donkey Kong, Super Smash bros, Zelda.... the list goes on and on and on. 

• 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, wiscotitansfan said:

Supposedly it's 6.2" 720p monitor in the device

If the device is in fact a handheld, then 720p resolution will be nice.

Looking more and more like Nintendo is leaving the traditional console market to Sony & Microsoft while they take over the handheld market. It sounds like it hooking up to your TV is a way to appease fans that want a traditional experience.

I'm still curious how bulky this thing is going to be considering it will be able to play console style games on it.

On 7/27/2016 at 7:30 AM, patsplat said:

The trouble with the box-under-the-tv concept is it dominates the house. I just can't play certain games when my son is up.  Other games drive my wife away.

Not only that, I've gotten rid of the bluray and DVD player for the most part and just stream stuff. My house isn't even setup for a box of any sort to be there anymore.

I have my setup downstairs in my cave.  I plan on buying the upgraded Xbox next year (slowly building a PC atm), and will probably move the older One back upstairs for general usage.  The only other box is the DirecTv box that is staying until I can convince my wife it's not needed anymore.  

Regarding Nintendo, this latest bit of info is depressing.  I don't want to spend money on another novelty platform.  

• 1 month later...